Animated Review Thread

Some cartoon with big chins and a little girl that got beloved by fans and taken off TV to make way for a different show on another network. Yeah, that's fair.
Prime_Wreck
Deluxe

Re: Animated Review Thread

Post by Prime_Wreck »

Sorry to remind you, but yeah, he really could have done with swivels. The size doesn't bother me, but I probably wouldn't complain if they did a voyager eventually. Knowing them though, all we'll get is a pointless repaint.
"Supersizing your Value Meal is the right of all sentient beings"

andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Looking at the front page, I see there are TFA versions of Swindle and Blurr up and coming. Despite not being a fan of the TFA aesthetic, I like the look of the upcoming Animated Swindle. It may be the third TFA figure I pick up.
Misanthrope Prime
Dinobot

Post by Misanthrope Prime »

I've always wanted a Fred Willard action figure. He's close enough.
Prime_Wreck
Deluxe

Post by Prime_Wreck »

Misanthrope Prime wrote:I've always wanted a Fred Willard action figure. He's close enough.
Sounds almost like a challenge to do a custom Fred Willard. :D
"Supersizing your Value Meal is the right of all sentient beings"

onslaught86

Post by onslaught86 »

That'd be kinda..weird. Swindle does look decidedly decent, though, the flip-up chaingun has me sold and then some. I'm a real sucker for optional weaponry, nothing like being able to display a TF's robot mode in two very different ways. Adds so much play and display value.
onslaught86

Post by onslaught86 »

Activator Prime

Just a few thoughts here. He's an interesting piece of work, it's rare we get Basic-scaled Primes. The flipchanging mechanism only transforms his upper body, the legs are manual, and the wheels are done with a little more grace than Mega Prime. The mechanism is hard to operate, though. Basically, flipping a small red switch while holding the back of the truck cab flips the arms out to the sides, pops up the head, and collapses the chest - forming the upper robot on top of the truck chassis. It tends to flip out of one's grasp, and is a bit hard to reset, but I applaud the ambition.

Robot mode's good, solidly articulated. No accessories puts a bit of a damper on elaborate posing, though he'll hold some decent stances, and certainly looks the part. I rather dig the AniPrime design in plastic reality, much moreso than the initial pics led me to believe I would. Knees are somewhay restricted, though, and no waist thanks to transformation. Also worth noting that he has cancelled lightpiping, looks like the Activators were originally intended to sport translucent sprues, hmm. If you dig the look of the robot mode in-package, this one's worth getting.

Vehicle mode's not as bad as some have made out, though the cab's a bit floaty. It's the standard issue with AniPrime's truck mode - it's a crappy truck, and has robot feet sticking out the back. The main problem comes from the way the wheel base connects, as the black pegs on the wheels are designed to lock into the thighs, but they're not aligned right. There are clips that are supposed to hold the cab in place, but don't if the wheels are pegged into the thighs. So for the best possible appearance, one has to sacrifice structural integrity. Alas!

Still, at this price point, one can't go too far wrong with a Prime. The design translates a lot better than some of the others seem to have, making this one of the better cheaper Primes out there in recent years. Well worth a look if you dig Primes, Basics, or Flipchangers.

Wait, that covers just about everyone..
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Anyone have any thoughts, good or bad, about TFA Swoop? I was looking at figures in the store yesterday and almost bought Swoop, though I couldn't quite talk myself into it, since I'm not much of an Animated fan. But it's not too bad despite the Animated aesthetic, so it may be an option down the road.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

andersonh1 wrote:Anyone have any thoughts, good or bad, about TFA Swoop? I was looking at figures in the store yesterday and almost bought Swoop, though I couldn't quite talk myself into it, since I'm not much of an Animated fan. But it's not too bad despite the Animated aesthetic, so it may be an option down the road.
I've seen him in stores twice and passed twice. Looks too small and simplistic, they padded that deluxe package with a big weapon to make up for it. And the face looks kinda goony.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

I've got Swoop, and he ain't bad, though he's definitely a bit small for a Deluxe. Still, I like his design better than Snarlag, and his transformation has a certain elegance to it, especially in the reforming of the chest. Beast head could stand to be more stable though.

Really, the main thing that's holding the Dinobots back is their complete lack of on-screen characterization. I just don't *care* about them.
onslaught86

Post by onslaught86 »

They gutted gimmicks from Swoop, and that irks me. His mace was originally to have pop-out flames, and now it does not. Can be partially restored, mind, but it shouldn't have to be.