Customized Animated Toys

Some cartoon with big chins and a little girl that got beloved by fans and taken off TV to make way for a different show on another network. Yeah, that's fair.
donosaur
Gestalt Combiner

Customized Animated Toys

Post by donosaur »

So I'm not much of a kitbasher, but I do like touching up certain toys if I see obvious areas for improvement. For some reason, as much as I love Animated toys, a huge amount of them are screaming for modifications to live up to the show models. Maybe it's because the paint seems so sloppy on some of them, or that the toys came out too early (early waves seem to be the most divergent from the show models). I don't know why, but I was curious if anybody else out there has been messing with their animated figs as much as I have.

Bumblebee with black accents, fixed stingers, and silver headlights:
Prowl with gold accents on boosters, face, shoulders, and fixed visor:
Ratchet with silver hub details, black ankle details, and painted war wound (not pictured):
Snarl with properly colored magma cheeto and swoop's fixed mace:

I did have a few other questions of you other kitbashers: what type of paint to use? I have a bunch of acrylic, which is great for details but not so good for big areas. The black stripe on the rear door of my Bumblebee has partially scraped off just from transformation and my fingernails touching it. What do you guys suggest? Also, what modifications are you most eager to try out on your own toys?

For the record, I used reprolabels' upgrade kits as reference for most of my paint jobs.
.................................................................................................................................................................... _,_,_..
...................................................................................................................................................................(..vvvvv
..................................................................................................................................................................(..../"/"
.........................................................................................................................................................(\.....(.....) )
......................................................................................................................................................... \ \../../hh hh