"Screwing Around"

Some cartoon with big chins and a little girl that got beloved by fans and taken off TV to make way for a different show on another network. Yeah, that's fair.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Re: "Screwing Around"

Post by Onslaught Six »

Although allegedly the folks over at the Hub had looked into trying to order new episodes of the Batman and Superman Animated Series they're showing reruns of, but got blocked by WB/DC on that. I'd also heard a rumor that they HAD tried to order new episodes of Animated, but CN somehow cockblocked them on that as well. This is all hearsay though, so be sure to take it with a whole bunch of salt.
'Really?' Fifteen years removed, and they want to renew Batman TAS? That's insane. (Also, after Arkham City, both Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill have basically said they'll never perform as Batman and the Joker again.)

God, I can't even...that's sacrilege, to me. Batman TAS was great, but it was great because of who made it, when they made it. It was the perfect Batman for its time but the reality is that a lot of the staff on that show are now working on other projects. They'd only be able to get back a fraction of the cast and crew, and even then it'd only have a fraction of the heart and soul the original did. And if they tried instead to do it with some young new writers...the writers would be old enough to have 'grown up' with TAS, for fuck's sake.

If Hasbro wants more episodes of Batman and Superman TAS, then they need to get Batman Beyond, and Justice League/JLU. (Do they have those? I don't have TV, so.)

Also I'm still formulating my response to what this thread is actually about, so just...sit tight.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Batman Beyond usually airs right after TAS.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

BWprowl wrote:Underscoring this, I've always felt that the 'final' scene in the series, that quick shot of Optimus and co. returning to Cybertron with the Decepticons captive and being welcomed by a joyous crowd, seemed like a last-minute addition they worked up after they'd found out they'd been cancelled and wanted to give the series a more 'final' send-off.
I think that scene had always been planned. One of the Allspark Almanacs revealed that they had plenty of plans for season 4 already in development, starting out with Megatron on trial but he stages a prison break and somehow upgrades to a new Triple Changer body, which Hasbro already had made a prototype of.
From what I understand it wasn't even Hasbro this time, really. Cartoon Network had had issues with supporting the show, being that while it was doing decently, it was costing them a fair bit, especially with having to share licensing with Hasbro.
Cartoon Network does have a bit of history treating shows that they share a license over poorly. Currently, there is quite a bit of controversy over how they've handled Young Justice and Green Lantern: The Animated Series.
Onslaught Six wrote:If Hasbro wants more episodes of Batman and Superman TAS, then they need to get Batman Beyond, and Justice League/JLU. (Do they have those? I don't have TV, so.)
Batman Beyond was one of the first shows the Hub had when the channel launched. Dunno who has the rights to Justice League though, I haven't seen it on the air in a long time.
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

Onslaught Six wrote:'Really?' Fifteen years removed, and they want to renew Batman TAS? That's insane.
Again, mountains of salt and all that. I thought it sounded a little goofy when I heard the rumor too.
(Also, after Arkham City, both Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill have basically said they'll never perform as Batman and the Joker again.)
I'm still hoping that several years down the line we'll get a live-action Batman Beyond film adaptation with Kevin Conroy playing old Bruce. It would be awesome and you know it!
Sparky wrote:Cartoon Network does have a bit of history treating shows that they share a license over poorly. Currently, there is quite a bit of controversy over how they've handled Young Justice and Green Lantern: The Animated Series.
God, just...don't even talk to me about how they've treated those shows. I had already figured they were pretty much screwed after the "Have you heard?!" hiatus in October, that was such a shisety move, but I'm still miffed about the cancellation to replace them with Teen Titans again and Yet More Batman. Simply put, they deserve all the controversy and bad press they're getting over this (seeing the mountains of livid Facebook posts after "Have you heard?!" was rather cathartic for me).
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Shockwave wrote:Ok, I'll concede the point, season 3 didn't screw around, but I guess I'm wondering why if they knew it was getting cancelled, did they bother to "set up" season 4 with the whole protoform thing? I guess I'm just wishing it hadn't been mentioned at all if they knew there was going to be no follow up or if they really did want to work it in there to bring it up and deal with it earlier.

Unless of course, Hasbro really did cut them off last minute and they didn't know there wasn't going to be a season 4 in which case, Hasbro sucks for not giving them better warning. I really have to wonder what goes on in that corporate office sometimes.
Well, they were planning season 4 items, and then there's the hope of continuing those tales in other media - comic books being the most likely. Also, the protoforms were there not just to help bolster Sari's backstory but to add dimension to Megatron's plots.
Sparky Prime wrote:
BWprowl wrote:Underscoring this, I've always felt that the 'final' scene in the series, that quick shot of Optimus and co. returning to Cybertron with the Decepticons captive and being welcomed by a joyous crowd, seemed like a last-minute addition they worked up after they'd found out they'd been cancelled and wanted to give the series a more 'final' send-off.
I think that scene had always been planned. One of the Allspark Almanacs revealed that they had plenty of plans for season 4 already in development, starting out with Megatron on trial but he stages a prison break and somehow upgrades to a new Triple Changer body, which Hasbro already had made a prototype of.
Also I read that Ultra Magnus dies and leadership of the Autobots changes its dynamic after the fuckuppery that was Sentinel Prime.
From what I understand it wasn't even Hasbro this time, really. Cartoon Network had had issues with supporting the show, being that while it was doing decently, it was costing them a fair bit, especially with having to share licensing with Hasbro.
Cartoon Network does have a bit of history treating shows that they share a license over poorly. Currently, there is quite a bit of controversy over how they've handled Young Justice and Green Lantern: The Animated Series.
That is the fuckin' truth! Let's take a break the day before we air! Let's cancel the show just as it gets back on track! Let's never air a single rerun during the week to bolster interest even though our schedule is full of repetitive shit that doesn't sell toys or engage kid audiences.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

JediTricks wrote:That is the fuckin' truth! Let's take a break the day before we air! Let's cancel the show just as it gets back on track! Let's never air a single rerun during the week to bolster interest even though our schedule is full of repetitive shit that doesn't sell toys or engage kid audiences.
Honestly, I could deal with the delay. It's just one TV show and I was used to it by that point anyway (Young Justice has literally spent more time on hiatus than it has on TV), but when I heard about how they screwed over that animation student with her Amethyst/Gemworld short, that's when the rage really began to flow.

Sparky, JT, I'm glad we've finally found something we can bond over: CN's abysmal handling of DC Nation!
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

BWprowl wrote:God, just...don't even talk to me about how they've treated those shows. I had already figured they were pretty much screwed after the "Have you heard?!" hiatus in October, that was such a shisety move, but I'm still miffed about the cancellation to replace them with Teen Titans again and Yet More Batman. Simply put, they deserve all the controversy and bad press they're getting over this (seeing the mountains of livid Facebook posts after "Have you heard?!" was rather cathartic for me).
Yeah, I think a lot of people realized the shows future on Cartoon Network was in trouble when they put them back on hiatus in October after they'd only shown two new episodes. And pulled them at the last minute, seeing as Cartoon Network had been advertising new episodes all week long. It's good to see the fans reactions to the news Cartoon Network canceled them. These are good shows that are doing well in the ratings. It makes no sense for Cartoon Network to discontinue them.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

BWprowl wrote:Honestly, I could deal with the delay. It's just one TV show and I was used to it by that point anyway (Young Justice has literally spent more time on hiatus than it has on TV), but when I heard about how they screwed over that animation student with her Amethyst/Gemworld short, that's when the rage really began to flow.

Sparky, JT, I'm glad we've finally found something we can bond over: CN's abysmal handling of DC Nation!
If it had ONLY been a delay, I could have lived, but a delay followed by cancellation is unconscionable. I haven't heard about the Amethyst short animation student issue yet, can't wait to hear what else the captains of faceplanting have done now.

Sparky Prime wrote:Yeah, I think a lot of people realized the shows future on Cartoon Network was in trouble when they put them back on hiatus in October after they'd only shown two new episodes. And pulled them at the last minute, seeing as Cartoon Network had been advertising new episodes all week long. It's good to see the fans reactions to the news Cartoon Network canceled them. These are good shows that are doing well in the ratings. It makes no sense for Cartoon Network to discontinue them.
IMO, it made no sense for Cartoon Network, a company OWNED BY WARNER BROTHERS WHO ALSO OWNS DC COMICS, to not promote these shows and the DC brands better... or at all, really. The lack of mid-week reruns was ridiculous, they put on 17 hours of repetitive garbage throughout the daytime hours in the week but can't find one extra slot for Young Justice?!? "Let's play 75 episodes of Johnny Test and Gumball, then go out for happy hour!"
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

JediTricks wrote:If it had ONLY been a delay, I could have lived, but a delay followed by cancellation is unconscionable. I haven't heard about the Amethyst short animation student issue yet, can't wait to hear what else the captains of faceplanting have done now.
Just to quickly recap it for you because it genuinely pisses me off so much: The Amethyst short that's currently running in bits between DC Nation's shows was originally scheduled to run with them back in October of last year, before the infamous surprise hiatus. The short was the first 'big break' for the animation student who had produced it, and she was actually due to be nominated for an Annie (animation award, kinda like Oscars or Golden Globes but dedicated to animated content), but because Cartoon Network pulled the plug at the last possible second and didn't air the short within that year, she was disqualified for the nomination.

As I said, hearing about that is what really tore it for me.
IMO, it made no sense for Cartoon Network, a company OWNED BY WARNER BROTHERS WHO ALSO OWNS DC COMICS, to not promote these shows and the DC brands better... or at all, really. The lack of mid-week reruns was ridiculous, they put on 17 hours of repetitive garbage throughout the daytime hours in the week but can't find one extra slot for Young Justice?!? "Let's play 75 episodes of Johnny Test and Gumball, then go out for happy hour!"
For the record, I really like Gumball, but Johnny Test can go eat all the dicks in the world.

It's also worth noting that Mattel's pathetic management of the Young Justice toyline certainly didn't help the show's not getting torpedoed.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

JediTricks wrote:IMO, it made no sense for Cartoon Network, a company OWNED BY WARNER BROTHERS WHO ALSO OWNS DC COMICS, to not promote these shows and the DC brands better... or at all, really. The lack of mid-week reruns was ridiculous, they put on 17 hours of repetitive garbage throughout the daytime hours in the week but can't find one extra slot for Young Justice?!? "Let's play 75 episodes of Johnny Test and Gumball, then go out for happy hour!"
Yeah, it would be great if they actually aired re-runs mid-week. Give people a chance to catch an episode they may have missed on the weekend, with out waiting who knows when they might air an episode again. Be nice to see some more promotion for the series as well. I swear, sometimes it's like Cartoon Network is trying to make shows fail with how poorly they handle them.
BWprowl wrote:It's also worth noting that Mattel's pathetic management of the Young Justice toyline certainly didn't help the show's not getting torpedoed.
Yeah, there's that too. I've only ever seen a handful of the Young Justice toys at Toys R Us. I honestly don't think any other stores even had them in my area.