Editing in the trading/buying forums

Comments, suggestions, problems, other board business, bring it here and drop us some knowledge
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Editing in the trading/buying forums

Post by Shockwave »

Ok, I know there was a reason behind not allowing editing in that section orginally, but dang if I can remember it. But, I know several of us have double posted due to not being able to edit and I know being able to edit my sales thread would certainly save server space in the long run if I don't have to have several posts showing the updated list of items for sale, especially if each new list has updated pics associated with it. Is it possible to change the forum so that it can be edited so I could have one post with the list rather than several of them needlessly taking up server space? If not, no big, just throwin' that out there.
Gomess
Supreme-Class

Re: Editing in the trading/buying forums

Post by Gomess »

Presumably editing is disabled in the trading forum to prevent sellers from going back and changing shizzle in order to cheat people. I'm unsure about this for two reasons: (1) Don't edited posts say "Edited by **** at ****"?" (2) Who here is gonna try to cheat anyone? We're all basically actual buddies.
COME TO TFVIEWS oh you already did
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Gomess wrote:Presumably editing is disabled in the trading forum to prevent sellers from going back and changing shizzle in order to cheat people. I'm unsure about this for two reasons: (1) Don't edited posts say "Edited by **** at ****"?" (2) Who here is gonna try to cheat anyone? We're all basically actual buddies.
This was indeed the reason for it.

1) This is actually one of the few forums that won't automatically append your post with that if you edit your post. I think it's an option but it's disabled by default.

2) This is true.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Exactly, and after 3 years of no problems or even attempts at problems I think maybe it could be relaxed a little. Besides, I think I'm the only one on here with an actually dedicated "ongoing" sales thread.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Indeed, most of us just make a topic when we're looking to unload...

How's the list coming, btw?
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Slowly. I'm planning to go through organize everything by line and match accessories and take pics then have everything posted by Wednesday.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

In theory, if we get new members, it could be problematic. Maybe post your sale list in the general forums?

Dom
-and typos are eternal.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

As for why I haven't gotten back until now on this matter, it was posted on my birthday, and then we've been dealing with a family emergency ever since.

In terms of storage, don't worry about it, threads take up very little space.

In terms of double posting in general, again, I'm not the least bit concerned about that, from my POV it's no problem at all.

I am nervous about the idea of offers being edited and someone claiming they were being cheated, that's the point of not having edits. While we're all cool with each other, I wouldn't want that to change over a misunderstanding on a deal or something. If there was a log of the edits themselves, that'd be the thing that would change my mind, but right now this system doesn't offer that feature. I guess Dom is right, my concern isn't about us, per se, but about new folks.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?