Should I tighten up the forums?

Comments, suggestions, problems, other board business, bring it here and drop us some knowledge
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Re: Should I tighten up the forums?

Post by Shockwave »

For that matter, could Animated be put under "Other now lines"? Y'know since we're still getting toys.
138 Scourge
Supreme-Class

Post by 138 Scourge »

I think we've seen all we're likely to out of Animated, though. Damn shame, since they made a Thundercracker just because they'd done the other two. I so wanted to be able to point to Animated and say to Dom, "Look, there is one line with all three of the original Seekers". Ah, well.

Not to mention I'm still sort of butthurt about Blackout. And about the fact that I'll probably buy a Japanese one for way too much, eventually.
Dominic wrote: too many people likely would have enjoyed it as....well a house-elf gang-bang.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

138 Scourge wrote:Well, that works just fine. And I like the new description tag for "Animated". It's funny and sad because it's true.

What do we do with "Prime" once it's on the air, by the way? "Other Now Lines"?
Glad you like the descrip, I sadly never got to enjoy Animated myself (the pilot put me off, and the scheduling kept me from viewing the rest) but seeing some at Botcon last year and how fans responded to it at Hasbro panels there and SDCC '09 and '10 only to watch brand management casually toss it aside came off a little frustrating. I was going to put a dig at Prime in that line since it looks woefully inferior to Animated, but I felt better to wait and see how Prime fares in the wild in case it's better than the SDCC footage makes it out to be (but I highly doubt that will happen).

Prime at this point I guess we discuss in Other (which, btw, is no longer "other NOW lines", you guys saw that while I was still editing) until it gets a toy line, which won't happen this year. If folks start really talking about it, I'll make it its own forum, but until then it's PCC in my eyes, a side-topic that folks aren't ready to embrace - unlike PCC though, it seems Prime still has a chance to change minds. ;) By comparison, War for Cybertron made it easy for me, the toys ended up in Generations. :D

Oh, that reminds me, should we discuss PCC in the Generations forum? The line is its own thing, but the packaging takes its visual cues entirely from Generations. That might send the wrong message though, Hasbro wants to make clear that these aren't the combiners of old, they just hearken back to the classic combiner concept.

Shockwave wrote:For that matter, could Animated be put under "Other now lines"? Y'know since we're still getting toys.
The idea of "now" and "then" is no longer going to be a theme to the forums, there will be 1 TF talk forum for now (the future of entertainment could change that I suppose, but I don't think the brand is there right now) and as new lines are added, they will go on top so it goes from newest to oldest, with "Other" moving up whenever the current status of them allows. I am trying to keep major eras and lines separate as forums, it may get too cluttered in the future but for now it looks ok, and Animated certainly stands alone in design and storytelling. I know it's splitting hairs with RID in with the UT, but they've both become the odd men out of the fandom and were all back to back, and all suffered from similar Japanese-to-American issues in storytelling.

Animated is wrapping up right now with the Rodimus/Ironhide wave at TRU, leaving several Voyager-classes to twist despite Hasbro's SDCC '09 claim that they'd get out.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
138 Scourge
Supreme-Class

Post by 138 Scourge »

JediTricks wrote: Oh, that reminds me, should we discuss PCC in the Generations forum? The line is its own thing, but the packaging takes its visual cues entirely from Generations. That might send the wrong message though, Hasbro wants to make clear that these aren't the combiners of old, they just hearken back to the classic combiner concept.
PCC's kind of a weird thing. It's the "kid appeal" thing right now, and I can totally see it working as that, so it could be a mainline, but it's got no fiction and nothing else to do with any other line. I mean, I guess the packaging's tied in to "Generations", but it's not an official cue. And then those guys look sort of movieverse, don't they? So I'd say "Other lines" until something happens that makes them more clearly fish or fowl.
Dominic wrote: too many people likely would have enjoyed it as....well a house-elf gang-bang.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

138 Scourge wrote:PCC's kind of a weird thing. It's the "kid appeal" thing right now, and I can totally see it working as that, so it could be a mainline, but it's got no fiction and nothing else to do with any other line. I mean, I guess the packaging's tied in to "Generations", but it's not an official cue. And then those guys look sort of movieverse, don't they? So I'd say "Other lines" until something happens that makes them more clearly fish or fowl.
Yeah, they want it to be a small separate line that appeals to kids and casual consumers who want the "combiner experience" without dropping more than $20, so it is its own thing, but it's also a weirdo in that it has no support in any media, and is intentionally trying to separate itself from the similar combiners of the past as different characters. I think Hasbro said at SDCC that they're treating this like something from the "new canon" where War for Cybertron and TF:Exodus are the new foundation, but that in of itself technically right now goes in Generations, which makes NO sense since that line covers EVERYTHING. So I agree, "other" seems to fit best, they are more like Titanium Series than they are Generations in their canon.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Come to think of it, where should discussions about the WFC video game go? Toys, Generations for sure, but other than the vidya games thread

Ah screw it, we'll just use the vidya games thread.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

I think the new setup looks pretty good. It'll take a little getting used to, but it seems to have consolidated some of the lesser-used forums nicely.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

The recent issue of Toyfare quotes a Hasbro rep as saying that PCC is part of their new unified continuity, which places it in context with "Generations".

The impression I get from "Generations" is that it is the new unified continuity that Hasbro has been promising. In other words, that is not G1 Thrust, but "Generations" Thrust. Similarly, that Drift figure I like so much is not exactly the guy from AHM, but is Drift from the new timeline.

I vote we talk about WfC in the same forum as "Generations".

Dom
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

which makes sense since it's the prequel and officially part of that continuity.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Shockwave wrote:Come to think of it, where should discussions about the WFC video game go? Toys, Generations for sure, but other than the vidya games thread

Ah screw it, we'll just use the vidya games thread.
Generations for now, that's where the toys are. I hear the game is a bit barren already though in multiplayer, which is a bummer because I'm expecting to get it for xmas.

Dominic wrote:The recent issue of Toyfare quotes a Hasbro rep as saying that PCC is part of their new unified continuity, which places it in context with "Generations".
"Generations" isn't exactly a unified continuity, it's meant to express any continuity. Exodus, WFC, and now PCC are part of the new unified continuity.
The impression I get from "Generations" is that it is the new unified continuity that Hasbro has been promising. In other words, that is not G1 Thrust, but "Generations" Thrust. Similarly, that Drift figure I like so much is not exactly the guy from AHM, but is Drift from the new timeline.
I don't know about that one, that's not how they were talking about it at SDCC.