Is the review section working?

Comments, suggestions, problems, other board business, bring it here and drop us some knowledge
JediTricks
Site Admin

Is the review section working?

Post by JediTricks »

I can't really tell if it's working at this point. Seems a little like it's splintering things too much. Thoughts?
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Re: Is the review section working?

Post by Dominic »

I was meaning to send you an email about this. I do think it is a bit redundant/disorganized.

I have a few suggestions, but want to hear what the others have to say first.

Dom
-plans to put those web design courses to some use....
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Ehh. It was my idea, kind of, but now I'm sort of indifferent to it. What's the others think?
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
138 Scourge
Supreme-Class

Post by 138 Scourge »

I still like the idea. But I'm not sure the "insert line here review thread" format's working as well as it used to. I do like how the ROTF sections has each figure getting it's own thread, and everyone that has one weighs in.

Because if you're wondering what someone thinks about, say, Animated Grimlock, it'd be a lot easier to look up a "Grimlock" review thread in the Animated section than find the Grimlock reviews in the Animated section.

Of course, that could be a pain to dig through all the "review thread" threads and mine out the reviews for each toy. I'm willing to help out in that department, if that's how we want to go.
Dominic wrote: too many people likely would have enjoyed it as....well a house-elf gang-bang.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

I know the way that reviews are set up at tfw2005 is that each figure gets an individual thread so it's easy to do a forum search and find a particular figure. I think that's a good approach to take. It might not even be necessary to subdivide the review section by line, just be sure to note which line a figure comes from on the review topic header.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

138 Scourge wrote:Of course, that could be a pain to dig through all the "review thread" threads and mine out the reviews for each toy. I'm willing to help out in that department, if that's how we want to go.
Well, the plan was, of course, to have all the newer sections have the individual threads as ROTF has evolved. It's just that by the time the forums came about, ROTF was pretty much the only line running anymore, and most of the other forums seemed to have stuck to their homogenized original-thread format than the new one. A consequence of the way, it seems. As the lines evolve and we keep getting more toys and stuff, I'm sure it'll flesh out more--if we keep it this way.

Anderson's idea of merging a few sections to clean up space may or may not help, I dunno. Must bribe 86 to get in here to weigh in.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

I think what JT was going for in the first place was data-base of reviews.

I am thinking that a review section on the site, (not the forums), would be better in this case.

Dom
-we cannot be too wedded to just the forum.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Ok, I think with the input so far confirming what I feared, it's time to dismantle the Reviews forum, it's just not doing what we hoped.

I will get that done tomorrow.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

*plays Taps. On electric guitar. With a wah-wah pedal.*

\m/
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

And it is done. I moved the threads into their various regular sections. Report any threads that are in the wrong place. Thanks.