Sorry for the 24 hour downtime, site up now

Comments, suggestions, problems, other board business, bring it here and drop us some knowledge
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Re: Sorry for the 24 hour downtime, site up now

Post by Onslaught Six »

I had a timeout earlier, something like around 6 PM EST. Whole site wouldn't load, including forums. It's back now as of 7:40 so it might be nothing.

I'd like to say right now that I appreciate JT's dedication to keeping the site up and everything. I've said it before, but without TFV I'd probably have little place to really discuss TF, because ATT is less trafficked than here and God knows I'm not going to one of the big forums.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Onslaught Six wrote:I had a timeout earlier, something like around 6 PM EST. Whole site wouldn't load, including forums. It's back now as of 7:40 so it might be nothing.
That's a long time, did you just not check after a minute and then didn't come back for an hour and a half, or were we really down that long? That reminds me of 2 things, if you guys could note how long the outage lasted for you (or until you gave up), that'd be very helpful. Also, I'm going to get an uptime tracker on the site that will alert me if it's down for more than 5 mins.
I'd like to say right now that I appreciate JT's dedication to keeping the site up and everything. I've said it before, but without TFV I'd probably have little place to really discuss TF, because ATT is less trafficked than here and God knows I'm not going to one of the big forums.
Well, we're a crew, and if I can be of service, so much the better.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Ok, it's late but I got a service to check the site for downtime and report when it's down, and then report when it's back up. Hopefully this will give us a good indication of how we're doing without burying me in data. :p

Of course, on the off chance we're doing ok, you guys will owe me a coke. ;)
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

I really cannot afford coke for me, let alone others. But, we can take up a collection.

Dom
-oh....that was not good.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

JediTricks wrote:
Onslaught Six wrote:I had a timeout earlier, something like around 6 PM EST. Whole site wouldn't load, including forums. It's back now as of 7:40 so it might be nothing.
That's a long time, did you just not check after a minute and then didn't come back for an hour and a half, or were we really down that long? That reminds me of 2 things, if you guys could note how long the outage lasted for you (or until you gave up), that'd be very helpful. Also, I'm going to get an uptime tracker on the site that will alert me if it's down for more than 5 mins.
I didn't check after it failed the first time, I went off to do other real-life things.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Onslaught Six wrote:I didn't check after it failed the first time, I went off to do other real-life things.
Oh, wah. ;)

Since I attached the tracker, the site has suffered 1 outage each day of roughly 5 minutes each. I won't bother the host about it until it hits a full week, as it's still within an industry-standard 99% uptime margin (1% of a day's uptime is 14.4 minutes), but every day would be a stupid thing to see.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

I have recorded 5 downtime instances over the last week which have resulted in about 1 hour of downtime, which is 0.5% downtime, or half a percent. The longest was this morning for 30 minutes, I have contacted the host, they are adding more fiber-optic lines to beef up the network and we should see less downtime soon.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

That sounds good. There was a brief time yesterday afternoon where I couldn't get on the site. Ten minutes later it was fine.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

andersonh1 wrote:That sounds good. There was a brief time yesterday afternoon where I couldn't get on the site. Ten minutes later it was fine.
That instance was the very one I was referring to which took 30 minutes, so at least we already have that locked down.

There was 1 more outage a few days later, an hour, but it was planned, a reboot of key systems on the server and switcher. After that, we've been pretty smooth.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

I couldn't get on about half an hour or go--I didn't think to check the exact time, or see when I was able to access again, since I went and did something else instead.