Site front page

Comments, suggestions, problems, other board business, bring it here and drop us some knowledge
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Re: Site front page

Post by Dominic »

That is the real problem. The good stuff will cost money. I can see about chipping in something to this. Not too much mind you, but something.

Using free pages, like MS. is a problem because archiving gets difficult.

Dom
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

I think I'm settling on my idea, I'll have to price it out. It won't be wiki, in that we'll need active moderators to administrate the work, and I'm not sure if I can do a photo upload system. In a way, it might be easier for me to go with the free wiki software we have and tweak it to our needs than to go with my system - I am pretty sure the wiki software has photo upload - but of course, I'm not sure that I want to carry the photo bandwidth anyway, we may need imageshack.us or photobucket to do the lifting there and that gets dangerous. That's one thing using collectionstation.com would do for us, they'll carry the bandwidth totally and it's already set up for the most part. But for now, I'm thinking of using my script because I am familiar with it and it has a system that allows new entries and user comments.

The biggest holdback may be simply that we don't have any design layout, it's hard for me to build these things from imagination alone.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Would haveing categories in mind help with the visual lay-out?

Dom
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Dominic wrote:Would haveing categories in mind help with the visual lay-out?
Not even remotely. That part is easy as pie, it's the actual "what does it look like" colors, graphics, menus, all that jazz. I could code the category tree in my sleep.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

We need to figure out exactly what content we will have, and what we plan to have. I have seen pages go from "easy to use" to "impossible to figure out/use" for not considering this.

I think good broad categories are: toys, comics, tv shows, movies, games, food pack-ins, cards, other.

Under each of those, I think we could have a list by year and/or by series.

That menu should be on the front page, similar to how DvD has his set up. We should avoid having too many sub-pages that look like the front page, as that just gets irksome.

Dom
-hopes he answered the question asked.
onslaught86

Post by onslaught86 »

I have a variety of reviews archived, some with photos. They will require editing and, er, finding, mind.
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

Dominic wrote:We need to figure out exactly what content we will have, and what we plan to have. I have seen pages go from "easy to use" to "impossible to figure out/use" for not considering this.

I think good broad categories are: toys, comics, tv shows, movies, games, food pack-ins, cards, other.
Why would we need a separate category for movies? I can think of, maybe, four TF movies in total. Might be a better idea to just throw those in with the TV shows...
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

My thinking with the movies is that they are categories unto themselves. Think of of how much merchandise there was for the 2007 movie.

I was talking to Lewis Brooks while he archived items for the movie. And, look at http://www.eyrie.org/~dvandom, to see how much merchandise the movie had.

Dom
-thinking we could look at yojoe.com for ideas.
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

Okay, now I get what you were talking about. Good point.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Also throw in the fact that there's at least the sequel coming out, plus the probable third one.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.