Possible review section?

Comments, suggestions, problems, other board business, bring it here and drop us some knowledge
JediTricks
Site Admin

Re: Possible review section?

Post by JediTricks »

Onslaught Six wrote:What, exactly, does reporting news entail? I mean, I literally have hours and hours of free time (My job is a bit...empty?) and I'm sure it doesn't sound all that hard...
It's a lot like posting in the forums, except you need to take care of choosing proper news category, putting a "break" into the story so it doesn't all end up on the front page, and proper use of images (it's pretty easy).

EDIT: just checked the stats. By far, our greatest referrer is Google, actually it's Google Images first, then regular searches second. File names matter, folks.
Also, maybe it's just me/my browser/my resolution but on the forums, the Forums image comes up on an entirely lower area than News and Reviews. Not sure if it's just me. I don't really find it too bothersome, but I don't mind the layout much to begin with.
Crap, I forgot to check for 1024 width. I see what you mean, it's even worse in 800. I'll see what I can do about that.

EDIT: concerning the 1024 situation, that was a huge designer blunder, I can't believe I fell into that trap. I couldn't get it to work in IE 6 or 7, so I commented the "forums" link right out of there, we're in the forums already so it doesn't really need to be there, though I did like seeing it say everything the site offers. I got it within 1 pixel's width but the damned search bar just couldn't hold out. I might be able to get "forums" back on there in time, but it probably would be a lot of work to re-code the header just the way it is now and I'm not sure it's necessary. Feedback is appreciated.

For you guys on 800x600, sorry, I don't give enough of a crap, there aren't enough of you to try to code the whole internet fluid just for the handful of you left. Scroll past it like you do everything else.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

It's probably a weird situation for me because I have a widescreen laptop, so my resolution is 1280x800. But simply removing Forums from the actual forums works well enough for me.

Also, that's not how Google Images works--it depends on surrounding text terms. Or something. But it doesn't search filenames.

And yeah, do whatever to get me in on the news thing. I can totally come up with stuff. >.>
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Onslaught Six wrote:It's probably a weird situation for me because I have a widescreen laptop, so my resolution is 1280x800. But simply removing Forums from the actual forums works well enough for me.
My old laptop is at that as well, I thought it was working on there, but I was paying attention to the news header, not the forums, so it's possible I missed it. Removing it works for everybody but 800x600, they are out on their asses as usual.
Also, that's not how Google Images works--it depends on surrounding text terms. Or something. But it doesn't search filenames.
It does take them into account, it takes almost everything into account but the "title" tag, I believe.
And yeah, do whatever to get me in on the news thing. I can totally come up with stuff. >.>
Cool beans, I'll send you a PM in a few minutes.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Quick question, the reviews forum, should it be moved to the top of the forums? The whole thing is fluid, but it might make some confusion. However, it's not very noticeable where it is.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

I'd chuck it up top, sure. It's only one forum, so it's not intrusive at all, to me.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Ok, we'll try it up there for now.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Seems like the review section is tanking.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Nah, I don't think so. I'd assume it goes up and down depending on general board activity. If we're all busy and doing stuff, of course the board--and the reviews--aren't going to happen. That, and of what's currently out, I think pretty much everyone 'has' what they would want. I'm probably the only one who bought Skids and Mudflap, and I just bought Mixmaster who is sure to cause at least 'some' discussion.