May 13th downtime explained

Comments, suggestions, problems, other board business, bring it here and drop us some knowledge
JediTricks
Site Admin

May 13th downtime explained

Post by JediTricks »

Apparently, several major hosts had all their sites under attack all day from a brute force attack aimed at cracking Wordpress sites. AGAIN. Now, I've already hardened our Wordpress (that's what runs the news), but we're on a shared server so they took us offline entirely for the last 8 hours while they worked out a security fix.

I do not know how stable the site is right now, so I strongly advise any large posts be backed up before submitting to the system.

I am looking into alternate hosting right now, something cost-appropriate and secure.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
andersonh1

Re: May 13th downtime explained

Post by andersonh1 »

I wondered what was going on. I guess some people have nothing better to do than crash servers. Get a life, hackers. :evil:
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Yeah, I wondered why the site was down for so long today. Usually these outages don't seem to last so many hours. 8 hours is a long time to be working on a problem like that.
Last edited by Sparky Prime on Mon May 13, 2013 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

andersonh1 wrote:I wondered what was going on. I guess some people have nothing better to do than crash servers. Get a life, hackers. :evil:
Yeah, seriously! The stupidest part is that a brute attack cracking a site like ours would gain them NOTHING, we're isolated from deeper level server controls, there's nothing of value to be found in our data, it's literally a waste of everyone's time.

Anyway, I am incredibly sorry that this happened, 8 hours is a ridiculous amount of downtime for any site, especially when they identified the problem over 7 hours ago. We have a 100% uptime guarantee with this host that obviously wasn't the case here, ultimately my concern isn't getting a few bucks back, it's making sure this doesn't happen again.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Almighty Unicron
Supreme-Class

Post by Almighty Unicron »

But I already started rabbling!
Tigermegatron
Supreme-Class

Post by Tigermegatron »

JediTricks wrote:
andersonh1 wrote:I wondered what was going on. I guess some people have nothing better to do than crash servers. Get a life, hackers. :evil:
Yeah, seriously! The stupidest part is that a brute attack cracking a site like ours would gain them NOTHING, we're isolated from deeper level server controls, there's nothing of value to be found in our data, it's literally a waste of everyone's time.

Anyway, I am incredibly sorry that this happened, 8 hours is a ridiculous amount of downtime for any site, especially when they identified the problem over 7 hours ago. We have a 100% uptime guarantee with this host that obviously wasn't the case here, ultimately my concern isn't getting a few bucks back, it's making sure this doesn't happen again.
I'm convinced the majority of people in America who hack/Send viruses/troll/stalk/harass/cyber bully others on the internet have some sort of mental sickness.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Host had a little downtime today, and is going to do emergency network maintenance tonight from 8pm to midnight PDT, but we are not expected to see any significant service loss.