Quick hiatus.

Comments, suggestions, problems, other board business, bring it here and drop us some knowledge
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Quick hiatus.

Post by Onslaught Six »

Money problems are catching up to me and something's gotta give--this time it's the Internet bill. They're shutting it off tomorrow, as far as I know.

I've got my phone and I have Twitter on, and I can get my email with it, so if you need me, I'll be around.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Re: Quick hiatus.

Post by Dominic »

Best of luck. Stay in touch.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

That sucks, good luck and tell them to stuff it.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Gomess
Supreme-Class

Post by Gomess »

Hey, I know how it is. I don't take frequent TFV sabbaticals for my *health*.
COME TO TFVIEWS oh you already did
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Gomess wrote:Hey, I know how it is. I don't take frequent TFV sabbaticals for my *health*.
Suddenly everything makes sense!
JediTricks wrote:That sucks, good luck and tell them to stuff it.
Oh, I know. I've been doing that for a good...maybe 6 months now, which is why I owe them about $125 to get it turned back on. (And then I won't pay it for another 6 months until they threaten to shut it off again.)
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Onslaught Six wrote:Oh, I know. I've been doing that for a good...maybe 6 months now, which is why I owe them about $125 to get it turned back on. (And then I won't pay it for another 6 months until they threaten to shut it off again.)
That'll do it then! They do kinda insist on payment for service rendered.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Aaaand they finally cut it off. The good news is, we've basically cleared up all of my girlfriend's school funding problems and we'll be back to normal soon, and I'm also selling my other car and expect to get about $250 for it. Plus, I'm picking up some wifi from somebody or other, so I can at least use the Internet if I need it.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Wow, how bad is your other car if it's only worth $250? You can't even find a car in Los Angeles that low unless it's both on fire AND has 6 years of late registration fees on it. :p

Welcome to the world of "borrowing" wifi, at least it's convenient. Good luck getting the bills in order.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

aaaand everything is paid off, including my Internet bill. Between this and my new job, things are looking up!
JediTricks wrote:Wow, how bad is your other car if it's only worth $250? You can't even find a car in Los Angeles that low unless it's both on fire AND has 6 years of late registration fees on it. :p
I think that's scrap metal price, not actually selling the car to someone else. According to my father, the bottom is all rusted out--the only thing holding it together is the carpet. He tried to jack it up one day and went right through the floor. He said it'll never pass inspection again. (He was a mechanic for over a decade, so I usually trust his judgement on this.)
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Onslaught Six wrote:aaaand everything is paid off, including my Internet bill. Between this and my new job, things are looking up!
Home run, congrats!
JediTricks wrote:Wow, how bad is your other car if it's only worth $250? You can't even find a car in Los Angeles that low unless it's both on fire AND has 6 years of late registration fees on it. :p
I think that's scrap metal price, not actually selling the car to someone else. According to my father, the bottom is all rusted out--the only thing holding it together is the carpet. He tried to jack it up one day and went right through the floor. He said it'll never pass inspection again. (He was a mechanic for over a decade, so I usually trust his judgement on this.)
Yeah, $250 is a common scrap price. The floor rust is fairly regular on the east side of the country, but jack points are on the frame, it shouldn't have been able to go through the floor itself. You should be able to get more if it's running and registered, there's always someone willing to pay at least twice that for a beater in "running, as-is" condition. Also, you might want to look into state initiatives for auto buy-backs, California in an effort to get smog-blasters off the road pays $1k for cars so long as they drive 10 feet and have a door.