we have spambots

Comments, suggestions, problems, other board business, bring it here and drop us some knowledge
JediTricks
Site Admin

Re: we have spambots

Post by JediTricks »

Good job, Anderson, thanks!

Anyway, looks like we're alright, just 1 guy with devalued time hoping that we are gullible enough to click his links.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Joking aside, yeah, thanks Anderson. (Forgot to say that earlier.)

Dom
-thinks we need to find that guy and break his legs.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Gomess wrote:Huh.

I'm gonna assume this "Anonymous" is some sort of official, organised hacking group distinct from the generic, postmodern "Anonymous" used to ironically refer to the mass of unnamed internet users who may or may not partake in various semi-legal activities while wearing Guy Fawkes masks.

How times change! Man I feel old!
Anonymous isn't used ironically. They also have no formal leadership, so basically any group of people can assemble, do whatever, and claim it's a move by Anonymous. That's kind of the point.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Gomess
Supreme-Class

Post by Gomess »

Onslaught Six wrote:Anonymous isn't used ironically. They also have no formal leadership, so basically any group of people can assemble, do whatever, and claim it's a move by Anonymous. That's kind of the point.
*I* know this. My joke- which I'm sorry to see he didn't get- was that Dom apparently doesn't. It's funny, really, since I'm sure a lot of people who consider themselves Anonymous would be overjoyed to hear themselves described as an actual fixed group of shadowy hackers. It's like a 90s movie.
COME TO TFVIEWS oh you already did
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

I know that Anonymous is not an organized group. Most of them are just punks who need to be curb-stomped. But, their collective and spontaneous tantrums have impacted media, financial and goverment websites. Most of their activity is in support of a cause or in retaliation for some kind of institutional "bad behavior".

I decribe them accurately here, as I did above.

Dom
-notes that your sarcasm did not come through.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

JediTricks wrote:Good job, Anderson, thanks!

Anyway, looks like we're alright, just 1 guy with devalued time hoping that we are gullible enough to click his links.
Dominic wrote:Joking aside, yeah, thanks Anderson. (Forgot to say that earlier.)

Dom
-thinks we need to find that guy and break his legs.
Nah, we need to break his fingers so he can't type or spam. :mrgreen:
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Post by Ursus mellifera »

andersonh1 wrote:Nah, we need to break his fingers so he can't type or spam. :mrgreen:
Yeah, breaking his legs would be the worst thing you could do. Then he'd have nothing to do all day but sit at his computer.
Check it out, a honey bear! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinkajou
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

No, you idiots. The meme is, break his kneecaps, steal his toys, and melt them down to make roleplay Star Sabers.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Gomess
Supreme-Class

Post by Gomess »

Ursus wasn't around for that, and I'm not sure Anderson was... but shame on Dom. We can't even remember our own memes.
COME TO TFVIEWS oh you already did
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Well, in my defense, it has been nearly a decade.

That said, yeah, maybe breaking his legs would be counterproductive.

Dom
-but we much break him.