Does anybody care about RID 2014?

No noses? No problem! Zombiebots? Sure, why not. A confusing new canon that allows loose and contradictory material? And now a new sequel show with an entirely different art style that takes place way in the future!
JediTricks
Site Admin

Does anybody care about RID 2014?

Post by JediTricks »

Seriously, does anybody give a shit about this line? I just never see it get discussed, nobody is talking about this line at all... not just here, but the other places I talk with TF fans too, it never comes up. Not the show, not the toys, nothing.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
andersonh1

Re: Does anybody care about RID 2014?

Post by andersonh1 »

Eh... I'm sort of vaguely interested in it in the way that most new Transformers series interest me. I might check it out at some point, whenever it's out on DVD. But it honestly looks a little too kiddie for my taste.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

I'm enjoying the show but I only two figures at this point which I've already reviewed in the appropriate thread. So, yeah I guess?
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

I don't watch the show because, despite a few new seasonings, it's still pretty basic Transformersy stuff and doesn't seem to do much new with the property, beyond some goofy animal Decepticons and Bumblebee Beyond as the leader.It's a Batman Beyond joke if you didn't get it. And Prime is still hanging around in the background anyway! Doing some cosmic gibberwanky bullshit! Who cares!

I don't care about the toys because there's just so much other product I'm interested in right now. If this were the only TF toyline out right now, and I weren't trying to complete entire vintage years of GI Joe vehicles, I might be tempted to pick up somebody like Drift or Strongarm and try out the line...but I've been burned so damn many times on the "buy one or two and try out the entirely new aesthetic toyline" premise. There was Alternators (bought a couple; hated them), the first movie (that panned out pretty decently and I have an entire fucking Rubbermaid tub of movie crap now that I don't have any display space for), Animated (bought maybe five figures, sold them all), Prime (think I only bought Cyberverse; learned my lesson on that one, plus I was unemployed for this time period), Beast Hunters (only grabbed a few Predacons and a single Autobot from a discount pack and later sold him; it was Smokescreen), and AoE (which I liked enough to buy every single Dinobot and nothing else).

For real, Prime was pretty much the ideal time in TF history to be completely without income because I was able to escape that toyline without buying a single regular figure and thus not having to unload or store any of them. Pretty amazing. For a while there, I thought I was going to be completely out, especially after the entirely lackluster FOC line, but the IDW era stuff started hitting it out of the park again. There was still the occasional shitter (Tankorr, ugh) and the $15 price point stings a little, but I got over it--not starving and having a job that I enjoy that gives me actual disposable income helps a lot, and maybe the novelty of the Combiners is making it an easier pill to swallow when it comes to paying larger amounts for stuff.

Anyway, back to the main point: This series is not for me. I don't mean that in some kinda figurative way either; I mean Hasbro has literally said in all their marketing stuff that this series is not really intended for adult collectors. And that's perfectly fine! There's a lot of stuff in this franchise that isn't for me. The important thing is, kids need to be wanting it and having their parents buy it, and there's enough ancillary stuff and ways to buy the RID characters that they'll be happy with it. I, as an adult, pretty much only enjoy the narrowest selection of TF toys--Things That Transform, Period, Regularly, at a decent scale that fits with the hundreds of existing toys I already own. There's the occasional exception for a tiny-scaled version of a beloved character (Legends G2 Megs, for example!) but for the most part, if it's not going to look good on any of my existing shelves, I don't want it.

Even the RID "Warrior" deluxes have a different aesthetic to pretty much everything I own, and they have a big scale problem within themselves in that the line doesn't have any Voyager or Leader equivalents, so every character regardless of their canon size becomes the same general height. Grimlock, Bumblebee and Optimus Prime should all have unique heights, but they don't because they're all $15 toys. That makes it even less enticing to pick any of them up--if I did get all of them, they wouldn't look right to me anyway. Plus, the last thing I need in 2015 is more versions of most of these characters--like I said, the main toys that catch my eye are dudes like Drift and Strongarm, original(ish) characters who don't have a lot of baggage or previous versions to worry about.

Oh, and its name sucks. Can't someone at Hasbro come up with anything better?! First it was "Prime" and now it's this. Prime was followed by Beast Hunters; Combiner Wars is followed by...Combiner Hunters. Jesus Christ!
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

I watched the first couple premiere episodes. I thought they were decent. I've been meaning to catch up, because I am curious to see where they take some of the plot elements, but I haven't gotten around to it. Doesn't help that Cartoon Network has it in the worst possible time slot.

I have no interest in the toys. They're just too basic looking for my taste.
Almighty Unicron
Supreme-Class

Post by Almighty Unicron »

No Build Team, no watch.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Not bothering.

The show is a continuation of "Prime", but without the relatively few good things about "Prime". The toys skew too much towards the "kiddie" look (as mentioned by Anderson). And, the one issue of the comic I read (the FCBD release) sucked.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

This may be the first show I can remember where the majority of our group are not into it.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Tigermegatron
Supreme-Class

Post by Tigermegatron »

JediTricks wrote:Seriously, does anybody give a shit about this line? I just never see it get discussed, nobody is talking about this line at all... not just here, but the other places I talk with TF fans too, it never comes up. Not the show, not the toys, nothing.

This may be the first show I can remember where the majority of our group are not into it.
To answer the Two questions here.

I think the toys are equally worse like the Rescue bots toys. I'm just not into newer Transformers toys with barely Two articulated joints. Then their is the ugly weird sculpting that is a huge turn off for me.

Noticed TFP/BH tried to mimick the toy sculpting of the 2008 Animated toy line with a fusion of movie verse toy designs. It seems like RID 2015 is trying to mimick the TF toy sculpting of 2008 Animated, TFP and movie verse.

I Might have bought some of the $20 RID 2014 Voyager sized toys if they had fully articulated robot modes. but with only Two articulated joints, No thanks. Was tempted to buy the Wolf Bot $20 car toy but didn't buy it.

As far as the cartoon goes, Think it's just terrible. Tried to watch a few episodes but thought it was terrible.

Had that ToysRUs big Megatronus toy receicved a fully articulated robot form. I would have put it on my want list. But Sadly with almost no articulation on the robot toy, It's a easy pass.
Tigermegatron
Supreme-Class

Post by Tigermegatron »

Hoping Hasbro cancels the newer RID toy line and cartoon series. Just don't want to see anymore fine plastic get wasted on the abomination that is the newer Rid toys.

Think the newer Rid cartoon series should get cancelled after season One ends. As I think it's the worse TF cartoon series ever. I think the newer Rid cartoon series animation, stories and dialogue is vastly inferior to it's Predecessor, Transformers Prime.