TF:Prime Figure Review Thread

No noses? No problem! Zombiebots? Sure, why not. A confusing new canon that allows loose and contradictory material? And now a new sequel show with an entirely different art style that takes place way in the future!
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Re: TF:Prime Figure Review Thread

Post by Dominic »

They are small, even for Legends figures. No doubt about it.

The smaller size covers for a number of flaws with the Terrorcons though. As irksome as some of the problems the figures have are, those same problems would be unforgivable on a Commander size figure.
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

Dominic wrote:They are small, even for Legends figures. No doubt about it.
They don't seem particularly smaller to me. Indeed, when I got Twinstrike, I was initially impressed by how sizeable the thing was for a Legion-class figure (crammed into its box on the shelves next to the half-the-size Airachnid only enhances that appearance). The others are comparable, particularly Windrazor.

I wasn't bothered by the smaller size. It's not like the G1 Terrorcons were much bigger, and I recalled ROTF Legends Devastator, who was easily the best Devastator to come out of that line, and a terrific thing to have around to fiddle with (No joke, the Scavenger from that set is one of my favorite things ever. It's amazing how well that design works at such a small scale).
Tigermegatron
Supreme-Class

Post by Tigermegatron »

This is more of a "in store" "in package" review from a few newer TF toys I saw in stores today while doing some early Christmas shopping.

Platinum Ultra Magnus looked worse at my TRU store today. The toy literally looked like a cheap KO compared to last years Weaponizers Optimus toy. What makes this toy looked really bad is the blatant Ultra Magnus head sculpt that mimicks the long chins from the TFA toy line. The Head sculpt was horrid as it looked like the ball joint was too tall supporting the head. it looked like half the bottom of the head sculpt was cut off. The newer UM colors screamed KO. The extra top shoulders parts looked worse in person.

Oddly enough I saw the BH Voyager Ultra Magnus toy for the first time at varioud stores like TRU & Walmart. I even got a chance to compare the Platinum UM next to the Voyager BM UM. Clearly the BH Voyager UM is the superior toy hands down.

This is the first time I ever saw the Titan Ultra Magnus on a store shelf. Obviously it was at a TRU store.

I saw a few of the Exclusive TFP FE deluxes,Ofcause all they had were like 6 Bumblebees & no one else.

My TRU store had a health stock of TFP & BH voyagers. I literally saw over 6 TFP Voyager Skyquakes on shelves. I didn't get any since I prefer the TFP Dreadwing colors/persona best on this mold. I saw a whole bunch of TFP Voyager Thundertron's,FOC Soundblaster,various other voyagers.

I saw the MP Acidstorm in stores for the first time. It a really nice repaint. I'm not interested since I already own Three color variations/remolds of this mold Via Startscream,Thundercracker & Skywarp. Had this been repainted & retooled into the Three 1985 Coneheads I would have bought all three. I don't need a generic repaint of a character that barely got a few seconds in a G-1 episode.
Had it been colored in Sunstorm's colors,I might have been tempted to buy it,as the DW comics did a great job on fleshing this chaaracter out with a interesting persona.

My TRU store had all the TF toys marked up by more than 25%+. It clearly a better deal right now just going to the TRU.com site instead of the TRU stores. My TRU store had Titan Metroplex priced at $150.

I did see a few newer BH toys I never saw in stores before like BH Deluxe Arcee,BH Deluxe Knockout,BH Deluxe Dreadwing,A full set of the legion BH Terrorcons at TRU & Target. I saw the exclusive Construct-bots Predaking toy in stores toy.

I saw the Platinum Bruticus VS FOC Grimlock gift set at TRU. Marked up 25% more in the store compared to the TRU.com site.

Apparently the TRU stores is the only place I still see the KREO build it sets stocked on shelves. I saw a few BH Kreo build it sets. Some Kreo G-1 Combiners sets. A whole bunch of Star Trek Kreo build it sets. In my state/area,stores like Target,Walmart & Kmart don't stock any Kreo build it sets.

Everytime I see those BH 16 inch or other smaller inch BH action figures,I say: " who the heck designed those,how did these even get mass produced. why would anyone think these are awesome ideas." http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.js ... age=family

Walmart had a really shameful action figure section in their store. It appears this walmart reduced the action figure section by more than 75%. I don't know if this is a nationwide USA thing or? It was rather odd Walmart would reduce the boys action figure toys section by more than 75% especially considering this is the Christmas buying season.
Last edited by Tigermegatron on Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tigermegatron
Supreme-Class

Post by Tigermegatron »

BWprowl wrote:
Dominic wrote:They are small, even for Legends figures. No doubt about it.
They don't seem particularly smaller to me. Indeed, when I got Twinstrike, I was initially impressed by how sizeable the thing was for a Legion-class figure (crammed into its box on the shelves next to the half-the-size Airachnid only enhances that appearance). The others are comparable, particularly Windrazor.

I wasn't bothered by the smaller size. It's not like the G1 Terrorcons were much bigger, and I recalled ROTF Legends Devastator, who was easily the best Devastator to come out of that line, and a terrific thing to have around to fiddle with (No joke, the Scavenger from that set is one of my favorite things ever. It's amazing how well that design works at such a small scale).
BH Legion Twinstrike is the biggest figure of the lot. The other 4 BH Legion Terrorcons are 25% less in bulk/height compared to Twinstrike. The other 4 legion sized BH Trrorcons are average legion sized TF toys,With BH Legion Twinstrike almost being considered a commander sized toy. If anyone deserved to be a bit bigger in this lot it was Hunn-gurr not Twinstrike as Hun-gurr needs more mass due to him forming the core/torso of the gestalt mode. I don't mind the tiny size,as the toys look great in all modes,I think having them all be deluxes & the combined mode being leader sized would have taken this thing to the next level & made this the best thing ever. I think these should have been pretender monsters/monstructor because at least here the legion size class & deluxe gestalt mode would have been a accurate G-1 size scale homage newer toys.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

I'm getting mine for Christmas so I'll have a more comprehensive review of them then, but looking at them in the package the size doesn't bother me. They're about the same size as the originals with the exception of Hun-Grrr but again, that unto itself doesn't bother me. Now, if they wind up having functionality problems, that'll irritate me.
Tigermegatron
Supreme-Class

Post by Tigermegatron »

Shockwave wrote:I'm getting mine for Christmas so I'll have a more comprehensive review of them then, but looking at them in the package the size doesn't bother me. They're about the same size as the originals with the exception of Hun-Grrr but again, that unto itself doesn't bother me. Now, if they wind up having functionality problems, that'll irritate me.
Yes,the BH Terrorcons that form the limbs of BH Abonimus are in proper 1986 toy size scale. The only one out of 1986 toy size scale is BH Hun-gurr,Who needed to be deluxe size scale.

Their is a 3rd party company creating a larger size voyager toy for FOC Onslaught. Perhaps a 3rd party company will create a deluxe sized BH Hun-gurr. So that BH Hun-gurr & BH Abonimus will be in proper 1986 size scale.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Yeah, they're all Legion-class or Commander-class, I think. I didn't know this had gone to clearance, and honestly even at $8 I just am not tempted by anything beasty from Prime, this line has not piqued my interest in any way with their beast designs.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

The $8 I paid is about right. Consider that the retail on the set was $25, and that Legends/Legiojn scale figures are $6-$8 apiece, and then ~$8 for the set (after tax) makes sense.

Blight and the bird are the best of the lot. I would not want to pay $8 for either of them. But, $8 for both (along with the other 3) is okay, ya know?

Yes,the BH Terrorcons that form the limbs of BH Abonimus are in proper 1986 toy size scale. The only one out of 1986 toy size scale is BH Hun-gurr,Who needed to be deluxe size scale.
No they ain't. The '86 figures are all larger. (I still have them, in reasonably good shape.)

Blight, Ripper and the bird fellah are all on the short side.
Mako Crab
Supreme-Class

Post by Mako Crab »

I keep passing by the $60 Predaking at my local Target. Waiting for that sucker to drop to like $30. I might even go for it at $40, but no way am I paying $60 for that guy. I had originally planned to get PRID Magnus, but when I saw BH Magnus in the stores, I thought he actually looked pretty dang good. So I got him. He's more show accurate, and he's not that horrible platinum edition one. Still need Breakdown, but after that, my collection is done.