Video reviews, good or bad?

A general discussion forum, plus hauls and silly games.

Video reviews, good or bad?

Yes, they're good
27%
No, they're bad
45%
I'm indifferent about this
27%

Total votes: 11

CrossRook
Gestalt Combiner

Re: Video reviews, good or bad?

Post by CrossRook »

Onslaught Six wrote:
I like when people don't take themselves to seriously in their reviews. It makes them worth watching. Or when they're short and to the point.
"THIS TOY IS GREAT! BUY IT NOW. THAT IS ALL."
Cough
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Oh. Huh.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

onslaught86 wrote:The medium has potential, but I've not seen anything remotely close to realising it yet.
I couldn't agree more on that, the medium could be much more than it is - move around the various modes, don't spend 8 minutes describing something on the screen, don't show us someone's hands clutching and fumbling with a toy.
andersonh1 wrote:If these video reviews were edited to just the good bits, with professional grade voice talent and good lighting, there might be some hope. But most of the ones I've seen are painful to watch.
The voice thing is especially bad for me, I take that sort of thing quite seriously and most hurt my ears to listen to - no idea how to use the mic, and camcorder mics are generally crap anyway. If they fixed some things, it might be tolerable, but right now I feel like they are just too amateurish and run far too long.
Dominic wrote:I expect editing problems, as most people are unfamiliar with the technology. And, people can brag an be obnoxious in text reviews.
Bullshit, editing video is dead simple these days, it's built into everybody's Windows operating system for the basics.
CrossRook wrote:
Onslaught Six wrote:
I like when people don't take themselves to seriously in their reviews. It makes them worth watching. Or when they're short and to the point.
"THIS TOY IS GREAT! BUY IT NOW. THAT IS ALL."
Cough
Um, that presents another issue... FOCUS!!! Goddamn I hate that. Camcorders don't have macro-mode, they cannot focus on anything closer than a foot usually (some no closer than a yard). So when your VIDEO review is supposed to be SHOWING us the toy, flopping it about while blurry ain't no help.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Misanthrope Prime
Dinobot

Post by Misanthrope Prime »

Maybe if most reviews either took some speech therapy classes or hit puberty, I'd hate them less.
Prime_Wreck
Deluxe

Post by Prime_Wreck »

There are actually some reviews that I can handle depending on who's doing the reviewing. Some are just good for a laugh as some of the people doing them have absolutly no idea what the hell they're doing. Some of those can be quite amusing though.
"Supersizing your Value Meal is the right of all sentient beings"

Gomess
Supreme-Class

Post by Gomess »

I generally judge video reviews on whatever HARDCORE TATS the reviewer just so happens to let get into shot. No editing is always a plus, too.
COME TO TFVIEWS oh you already did
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Old'd!!!

But recently, I came across a trio of vidviews which made me rethink my take on this, and then rethink that rethinking.

Cyclonus & Nightstick review:
http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-new ... ck-166070/
Hound & Ravage review:
http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-new ... ge-166068/

Those 2 reviews, while a little long and suffering weak camera focusing, are pretty good. Informative and explaining transformation elements that might not translate written down. So I thought "well, I should give vidviews another shot", and then this happened to all of us...

Jetfire & Jetstorm review:
http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-new ... ck-166118/

I appreciate that he is excited to have a new, hotly-talked about product, but this is a painfully long review made interminable by the content of the video. I don't mean to jump on the basher bandwagon, but this vidview highlights so much of what's wrong with these video reviews that I couldn't help it, this is an unbearable review.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

I've been talking lately about starting a "real" YouTube channel where I post comedic shit. One of the videos is going to be a straight parody.

"Here's Classics Onslaught. He's got a shield which is on top of his....y'know, you already know all the details, you've seen pics....And come to think, you know all his gimmicks already, too. So, uhh...Why am I doing this?" *cue guitar solo*
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Misanthrope Prime
Dinobot

Post by Misanthrope Prime »

I can't stand Sol Fury, for some reason. I think it's the combination of his voice (he lives in the Bronx, as do I, I get enough of that godawful stereotypical Bronx accent) mixed with the pointless banter from his girlfriend, and, well... he's, I dunno, out of all the transformers reviewers I see, he seems to be the biggest "pathetic manchild". I don't know why he elicits this reaction from me... but I can never sit through his videos (which are incessantly long).
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Yes, dear God. The girlfriend just makes it worse. If she was just a pretty face behind the camera (She might be hot for all I know) I'd have no problem with it, but Primus...She makes minor comments and laughs at his horrible jokes. Urgh.