TF: Prime Q&A - What should we ask?

A general discussion forum, plus hauls and silly games.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Re: TF: Prime Q&A - What should we ask?

Post by Sparky Prime »

Onslaught Six wrote:We already got an answer 'last' Botcon, though.

It was a working title, and they couldn't come up with anything better, so they kept it.
I thought they said the title would have something to do with them exploring what it is to be a Prime in the cartoon... And that they couldn't come up with anything better.
Gomess
Supreme-Class

Post by Gomess »

Onslaught Six wrote:Well, what would you call it?
Transformers.

Have I not previously expressed my hatred for sub-lines in fiction? Toys called Headmasters and Pretenders and PCCs and whatever is lovely, but *stories*... The the pit no. "Generation 2" was bad enough. There wasn't even a bloody timeskip! How was it THE SECOND GENERATION??

More to the point, your question is TOTALLY irrelevant to me because I have no desire whatsoever to work on a Transformers show! X[ I'd call it something stupid on purpose. Soyeah, I'd call it Prime too. Transformimus Prime Wars Season 4 Z.
Sparky Prime wrote:I thought they said the title would have something to do with them exploring what it is to be a Prime in the cartoon...
And... have they? Explored what it means to be a Prime.
COME TO TFVIEWS oh you already did
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Gomess wrote:
Onslaught Six wrote:It was a working title, and they couldn't come up with anything better, so they kept it.
HASBROOOOOO LADIES AND GENTLEMEN
No blame for producers Orci & Kurtzman?

Shockwave wrote:Based on the five part pilot I would have called it "Transformers: 28 Cycles Later".
Ouch, good one.

Sparky Prime wrote:
Onslaught Six wrote:We already got an answer 'last' Botcon, though.

It was a working title, and they couldn't come up with anything better, so they kept it.
I thought they said the title would have something to do with them exploring what it is to be a Prime in the cartoon... And that they couldn't come up with anything better.
Shouldn't Animated have been called Prime by that thinking?

Gomess wrote:
Onslaught Six wrote:Well, what would you call it?
Transformers.

Have I not previously expressed my hatred for sub-lines in fiction? Toys called Headmasters and Pretenders and PCCs and whatever is lovely, but *stories*... The the pit no. "Generation 2" was bad enough. There wasn't even a bloody timeskip! How was it THE SECOND GENERATION??

More to the point, your question is TOTALLY irrelevant to me because I have no desire whatsoever to work on a Transformers show! X[ I'd call it something stupid on purpose. Soyeah, I'd call it Prime too. Transformimus Prime Wars Season 4 Z.
Here's the thing, for me, if something is calling itself just "Transformers", it better be trying to be the pinnacle, and TF:P clearly isn't trying to be that, the premiere felt like a quick cash-in that'll run 2 years to sell some toys and then evaporate.

I'd call it:
TF: Annoying Kids Bothering Robots
(or just "TF: Annoying" for short.)
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Gomess
Supreme-Class

Post by Gomess »

JediTricks wrote:
Gomess wrote:HASBROOOOOO LADIES AND GENTLEMEN
No blame for producers Orci & Kurtzman?
Gawd, I don't know who's in charge of anything anymore. But I know Hasbro don't really care who does what with their property, so long as they've got something they can make profitable toys of. I'm beyond disinterested in the whole mess.

I do find it interesting, however, that TF has gradually turned from Fiction Based on Toys into Toys Based on Fiction. Maybe I'd prefer if things went back to that way again. *shrug*
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Gomess wrote:Gawd, I don't know who's in charge of anything anymore. But I know Hasbro don't really care who does what with their property, so long as they've got something they can make profitable toys of. I'm beyond disinterested in the whole mess.

I do find it interesting, however, that TF has gradually turned from Fiction Based on Toys into Toys Based on Fiction. Maybe I'd prefer if things went back to that way again. *shrug*
All good points. I suppose the movie was toys based on fiction based on toys tho'. And the fiction in Animated drove some pretty decent toys.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Gomess wrote:I do find it interesting, however, that TF has gradually turned from Fiction Based on Toys into Toys Based on Fiction. Maybe I'd prefer if things went back to that way again. *shrug*
Well there's the current comic. Which incidently is just called "Transformers".
Gomess
Supreme-Class

Post by Gomess »

Shockwave wrote:Well there's the current comic. Which incidently is just called "Transformers".
And if it was in-continuity with G1, and didn't just rehash the same characters and concepts, I'd actually be happy! =/

And no, that doesn't make me a GEEWUNner, because by extension it means I'd be happier if it was in continuity with *Beast Wars* too. How hard is it to write sequels in a universe where consistency doesn't matter? The Japanese G1 series managed it (regardless of story quality).

I just hate multiverses. It's lazy. How do the creators expect to attract new fans into this clusterf*ck of a "story"? Little kids gonna be soooo excited for Animated's debut, expecting to see all their favourites, Bonecrusher, Brawlstator, Mikaela Banes, the copulating dogs.... nope, sorry kids. Not even the same universe.

One of the first posts I ever made at BWTF was an attempt to tie ALL aspects of TF fiction into a cohesive timeline.... Only later did I realise what an abject fool I was. I can only hope more yoof don't suffer the same fate. =[
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Keep in mind the real purposes of a the multiverse idea in fiction.

The first is to cover for honest, or simply sloppy mistakes by the writers.

The second is to let obsessive fans take comfort in the idea that everything can count. Do not let obsessive twits like Walky ruin new, and frankly superior, iterations of G1 (such as the comics). Ryall Schmidt's boys are not crossing the main book over with the original series or the current movies.

Ironically, GI Joe fans are better at just keeping contrary series apart, rather than trying to fit them together, despite generally being stuck on the oruginal series.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Gomess wrote:And... have they? Explored what it means to be a Prime.
Not unless being Prime means fighting zombies while dealing with humans that apparently lack any common sense in this series... But hey, that's just what the Botcon report I saw said the series was supposed to be exploring in order to give it the title "Prime".
JediTricks wrote:Shouldn't Animated have been called Prime by that thinking?
Well Animated actually put a focus early on, in the first episode, on how Optimus and his team were regarded as misfits on Cybertron and how most of them wanted something else, something bigger out of life. Plus, it was made clear Prime was just a military rank, somewhat like a captain in that continuity.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

The answer, friends, is right here: http://www.tfviews.com/news/entertainment/1211

At first, I felt like this was just another TF Q&A answer, but Orci actually does respond to everything we asked, he just did so from a broader audience perspective. I suppose one could take that as a sign of how the series overall is approached.