Should we do a Year in Review thing?

A general discussion forum, plus hauls and silly games.
Gomess
Supreme-Class

Re: Should we do a Year in Review thing?

Post by Gomess »

I dunno Dom, maybe this is just closer to my heart than it is to yours, but I was just glad to see a heroic gypsy *in* a comic book. I didn't care whether he said "ja" a lot, and it'd be a VERY fussy German that was offended by that. I believe in "baby steps" and Second Genesis was a very valuable one, IMO.
COME TO TFVIEWS oh you already did
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

I see what you are saying, but Claremont was heavily stereotyping. I often say that the only member of the team that got to be human was the Jew....you know, the one who was like Claremont himself.
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

Shockwave wrote:I'd just point out that even in the case of mold reuse, there are new parts which means you're not 100% getting the same toy, ie: at least there's something new for buying it. I actually hope that's a trend that continues.
I know, but that's even more GI Joe-ish: Taking a mold that's already used, adding a couple new parts, and releasing it as a separate character. I'm happy as hell that we're finally getting Wheeljack, but it'd be nice if he actually got his own mold, rather than a tweaked Tracks mold.

Of course, that's just the tip of the iceberg. I'm honestly sore that they've still been turning into cars and planes for the last decade.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

I can see what you are saying there. I prefer sci-fi modes to be more common as well.

Dom
-ah, "Beast Machines"....
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

Dominic wrote:I can see what you are saying there. I prefer sci-fi modes to be more common as well.
No, we've gotten plenty of those too. I want to go back to 1995, when Transformers came out that turned into stuff WE'D NEVER SEEN THEM TURN INTO BEFORE. Real Gear Robots was a nice little diversion in this regard, but I want something with a bit more breadth to it.

Or at least make some new organic beast TFs, since it's been forever since we got some of those. Universe Dinobot and Cheetor don't count since they were (lackluster) reimaginings of older characters.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Fair point.

I do want to pick up on what you said about parts-swapping though.

The big difference between Joes and TFs is that new TFs look new. Even when we get old characters, they are not always exactly like the old characters. Joe fans are much more rigid, (to the point of being ass-pie stereotypes), about what is "right" for their hobby. "New" (anything after 1987) is suspect.

Transfans unfortunately includes some GeeWunners. But, they are a minority. Some characters are going to stick around. (And, I am not going to complain about getting a new Jazz figure every so often.) But, every line tends to have a few new guys in it. And, say what you will about the movie or TFA, but we did get new characters out of both, (Barricade, Lugnut, and Bulkhead).

Re-using parts however has nothingt to do with this. That is a money-saving business model. (It is cheaper and easier to add a new head to an existing body than to make am whole new figure.) That is not looking backwards. That is looking at the bottom line.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

BWprowl wrote:
Shockwave wrote:I'd just point out that even in the case of mold reuse, there are new parts which means you're not 100% getting the same toy, ie: at least there's something new for buying it. I actually hope that's a trend that continues.
I know, but that's even more GI Joe-ish: Taking a mold that's already used, adding a couple new parts, and releasing it as a separate character. I'm happy as hell that we're finally getting Wheeljack, but it'd be nice if he actually got his own mold, rather than a tweaked Tracks mold.
Have you seen the differences, though? I'd almost say it's more like this toy was designed for Wheeljack first and then turned into Tracks by happy accident.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Prowl is just bothered by mould re-use though.

Dom
-we should arguably be having a decade in review discussion.
Last edited by Dominic on Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

It didn't bother me in the 80's and it doesn't bother me now.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

I'm going to have to amend my best figure of the year entry. I really like Thunderwing. He may have to win the spot, as far as I'm concerned.