We've got Hall of Fame voting going on up there

A general discussion forum, plus hauls and silly games.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Re: We've got Hall of Fame voting going on up there

Post by Dominic »

Since you were the first to respond to my question, I took the advice. It netted 1 vote so far. I don't mind if outsiders vote in this though.
I was thinking that we do not want a bunch of All Sparkers coming in and pushing our vote one way or another as they did with the Blurr recolor (Swerve) back in '04.

Talk about splitting hairs! A TRU-exclusive Armada repaint nobody bought?? You are really going out on a limb with these examples, and you probably know it.
It sold pretty well here. And, it is a Minicon in movie packaging.

Yeesh. First off, Soundwave has 1 missile, just because he comes with 2 extras doesn't mean he has 3 in robot mode. Second, his gun has been shown without the missile in cartoon and comic, I believe, so there is precedent for not always using the missile. Third, the context of the gun shooting a missile not only is stupid, but no longer possible since the missiles violate safety regs.
The missiles are still part of the toy. They should fit in both modes, regardless of inconsistent character models. A Soundwave figure is incomplete if it does not have the missiles.

I generally agree with Trekkie's definition of iconic. But, do not think that Soundwave being recognizable to people over 30 qualifies him as iconic.

Dom
-stands by BW Soundwave possibly being G1.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Dominic wrote:I was thinking that we do not want a bunch of All Sparkers coming in and pushing our vote one way or another as they did with the Blurr recolor (Swerve) back in '04.
At the moment, it's looking really bad, 9 votes isn't enough to get a good sampling from so it'll be ultra tough to pull a top 5 out of. ANY new votes would be fine. Plus, new exposure for the site is good.

It sold pretty well here. And, it is a Minicon in movie packaging.
You can put a goat in a dress, but that doesn't make it Nancy Reagan.

The missiles are still part of the toy. They should fit in both modes, regardless of inconsistent character models. A Soundwave figure is incomplete if it does not have the missiles.
Jeez, then I guess because Soundwave's label sheet and instructions don't fit inside of his alt mode either also makes him incomplete.

I generally agree with Trekkie's definition of iconic. But, do not think that Soundwave being recognizable to people over 30 qualifies him as iconic.

-stands by BW Soundwave possibly being G1.
I can't tell which statement I find more ridiculous. :p
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

My worry is that people will come in, push the vote one way or another, and then leave. (it happened before.)

Minicons: Not only was Longarm sold in a movie package, but Blackout has hard-points in vehicle mode.

Soundwave: Even if one counts the 3rd missile as an extra, the figure is intended to have missiles in each gun. As such, the missiles are as much a part of the figure as the missiles of a modern TF are. Soundwave cannot neatly store the missiles in both modes, which is why I do not credit that toy with integrating well.

Dom
-is tempted to ship JT that page from the BW sourcebook. (You can hate it, but you cannot deny it.)
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Dominic wrote:My worry is that people will come in, push the vote one way or another, and then leave. (it happened before.)
Well, I don't know how bad a thing that would be, but it didn't happen so no worries now.
Minicons: Not only was Longarm sold in a movie package, but Blackout has hard-points in vehicle mode.
That proves absolutely nothing, especially with the figure NOT using minicons.
-is tempted to ship JT that page from the BW sourcebook. (You can hate it, but you cannot deny it.)
I thought you already sent me that one. Or was it the sourcebook before that? I don't remember. Anyway, I don't hate it, but I can deny it, easily.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Ok, so the votes have all been tallied up, and here are the results:
  1. Grimlock - 36
  2. Soundwave - 28
  3. Shockwave - 10
  4. Devastator - 9
  5. Hot Rod - 7
  6. Prowl - 6
  7. Barricade - 5
  8. Hot Shot - 5
  9. Jetfire - 5
  10. Optimus Primal - 5
  11. Ratchet - 5
  12. Dinobot - 4
  13. Mirage - 4
  14. Unicron - 4
  15. Blackarachnia - 3
  16. Wheeljack - 3
  17. Arcee - 2
  18. Jazz - 2
  19. Kup - 2
  20. Ratbat - 2
  21. Galvatron - 1
  22. Megatron (BW) - 1
  23. Wreck-Gar - 1
Thankfully, there were no ties in the top 5 for us.

Grimlock was the only one voted for by every single voter.
Shockwave had the least number of votes in relation to his position in the poll at just 3 votes. Devastator, the next choice down, had 1 more vote but less points.
Barricade had the most votes of any non-winning chioce at #8 with 3 votes. Unicron was the poorest choice that had multiple votes at #14 with 2 votes.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

I'd generally agree with the top five, though I'd probably rank Soundwave ahead of Grimlock. Then again, Grimlock's had more face time in the comics thanks to Simon Furman, so maybe he would rank above Soundwave.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

I can live with Grimlock.

Dom
-was really pulling for Barricade.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

How did you monetize the votes and points? I assume it was inverse, with slot one being worth 5 points, and slot 5 being worth 1.
Anyway, I don't hate it, but I can deny it, easily.
Leave your fanon out of this.

I just looked over the relevant posts at SSG. I know a couple of guys there were trying to game the system and get new figures of certain characters. I am not sure how I feel about that. Part of me really wants this to be a listing of truly iconic characters. But, part of me feels that we could have had an opportunity to nicely tell Hasbro to make another Wheeljack figure. By that standard, every vote for Soundwave or Grimlock was arguably wasted by virtue of new figures of those characters being all but certain even without this poll.

Dom
-falling asleep.
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

Is there even any reason to believe that the Hall of Famers are going to get new toys? I agree that it would be nice, but I'm with Dom in thinking that we should just prioritize honoring iconic characters.

Also, Hasbro's already said, point-blank, that a new Wheeljack isn't going to be on the table for a while. Because of Drift, and all.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

What, really? How does Drift make Wheeljack less likely? (I believe Hasbro said it, but cannot figure what the logic would be.)

In any case, I can see why the SSG guys were trying finagle new toys out of this. Can you blame them for trying?

Dom
-suddenly wished he bulleted for for Jazz. Just a thought.