We've got Hall of Fame voting going on up there

A general discussion forum, plus hauls and silly games.
138 Scourge
Supreme-Class

Re: We've got Hall of Fame voting going on up there

Post by 138 Scourge »

I'm a big enough man to change my opinion when presented with new evidence, and AU has made a convincing case for JAM Project so I'm changing my vote.
Dominic wrote: too many people likely would have enjoyed it as....well a house-elf gang-bang.
Almighty Unicron
Supreme-Class

Post by Almighty Unicron »

138 Scourge wrote:I'm a big enough man to change my opinion when presented with new evidence, and AU has made a convincing case for JAM Project so I'm changing my vote.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Voting complete. Here are our results, and if you want more detailed breakdowns, just LMK and in the next week I'll post some stats.

FAVORITE TRANSFORMERS CHARACTER (Fictional Robot Character)
  1. Barricade (movie)
  2. Ravage
  3. Blackarachnia
BEST COMBINER ROBOT (Fictional Robot Character)
  1. Rail Racer
  2. Predaking
  3. Bruticus
BEST MUSICAL ACT USED IN TRANSFORMERS BRANDED PRODUCTION (REAL-LIFE HUMANS)
  1. Weird Al Yankovic
  2. Vince DiCola
  3. NRG
Some surprising results. Bruticus actually tied with Devastator, and I didn't have any way to break the tie as the number of votes and values were identical, there wasn't a "first" as I voted for both, and I just couldn't see another way, so I gave them values of odds and evens and it returned an odd value 3 out of 3 times (best of 3), so it's Bruticus.
andersonh1 wrote:FAVORITE TRANSFORMERS CHARACTER (Fictional Robot Character)
Optimus Prime (G1)
Omega Supreme (G1)
Obsidian (Beast Machines)

BEST COMBINER ROBOT (Fictional Robot Character)
Devastator
Menasor
Abominus

BEST MUSICAL ACT USED IN TRANSFORMERS BRANDED PRODUCTION (REAL-LIFE HUMANS)
Vince DiCola
Steve Jablonsky
Ford Kinder & Anne Bryant (for the original theme song)
Anderson, I'm afraid Optimus Prime can't be nominated as he's the first one in the HOF. If you were planning on voting for Optimus Primal though, it wouldn't have gotten him into our list anyway.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

JediTricks wrote:Anderson, I'm afraid Optimus Prime can't be nominated as he's the first one in the HOF.
You'd think I'd have remembered that. :)
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

andersonh1 wrote:
JediTricks wrote:Anderson, I'm afraid Optimus Prime can't be nominated as he's the first one in the HOF.
You'd think I'd have remembered that. :)
Nahhh, who would remember Optimus Prime? He's just that red guy. ;)

I must admit, I was totally surprised by Blackarachnia making the cut just 1 point over Prowl, and I didn't realize how much all of us still think of Rail Racer. It's interesting to see Vince DiCola get our nod, there are just so many acts and sounds now with Transformers, and I figured the guy who did all the synth on TFTM wasn't really up there, but no matter what our opinions of TFTM I think we all kinda get behind the ancillary pieces of it - it looks good, it has a good score and some good songs, it has some good voice actors, and many of the new characters endured.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

JediTricks wrote: It's interesting to see Vince DiCola get our nod, there are just so many acts and sounds now with Transformers, and I figured the guy who did all the synth on TFTM wasn't really up there, but no matter what our opinions of TFTM I think we all kinda get behind the ancillary pieces of it - it looks good, it has a good score and some good songs, it has some good voice actors, and many of the new characters endured.
Is there anyone in the TF fandom who doesn't legitimately think TFTM is pretty damn cool? I mean, it's arguably the best piece of vintage G1 media produced--the only thing that even comes close is probably Furman's Marvel run.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Almighty Unicron
Supreme-Class

Post by Almighty Unicron »

Onslaught Six wrote:
JediTricks wrote: It's interesting to see Vince DiCola get our nod, there are just so many acts and sounds now with Transformers, and I figured the guy who did all the synth on TFTM wasn't really up there, but no matter what our opinions of TFTM I think we all kinda get behind the ancillary pieces of it - it looks good, it has a good score and some good songs, it has some good voice actors, and many of the new characters endured.
Is there anyone in the TF fandom who doesn't legitimately think TFTM is pretty damn cool? I mean, it's arguably the best piece of vintage G1 media produced--the only thing that even comes close is probably Furman's Marvel run.
It's kinda hokey. Again though, I didn't see TFTM until after I had been a casual fan for a while- so what happened was I watched BW, BM and RiD, then pirated a bunch of old G1 episodes and watched them in order THEN saw TFTM. And tonally, it didn't seem to fit with the rest of G1 to me.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Onslaught Six wrote:Is there anyone in the TF fandom who doesn't legitimately think TFTM is pretty damn cool? I mean, it's arguably the best piece of vintage G1 media produced--the only thing that even comes close is probably Furman's Marvel run.
Oh god no, almost everybody I know in TF fandom thinks TFTM is terrible, and not just because it begins with the slaughter of their favorite characters. It's written horribly, it's got significant pacing and tonal problems, it creates from whole cloth its entire conflict and resolution without any regard for the material it came from, everything of substance about TFTM is just the worst.
Mako Crab
Supreme-Class

Post by Mako Crab »

Happy with the results this year. :)
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

I thought Prowl already made it in, or I would have voted him in to the top spot.

As for the movie....
Oh god no, almost everybody I know in TF fandom thinks TFTM is terrible, and not just because it begins with the slaughter of their favorite characters. It's written horribly, it's got significant pacing and tonal problems, it creates from whole cloth its entire conflict and resolution without any regard for the material it came from, everything of substance about TFTM is just the worst.
The old movie benefits from nostalgia (a huge problem in this particular fandom), being "Transformers" (another problem in this fandom). And, for when it came out, it had better than average animation for 1986. There may have been inconsistencies between scenes. But, the individual scenes mostly looked good. (There are few points that cannot claim that virtue. But, you get the idea.) The movie is much prettier than most episodes.

It had better music and voice acting than the average episode.

The biggest failings are in the writing (which some fans do not care about).

And, it introduced a number of lasting characters and other elements to the property.

And, as much as I agree that the writing was bad, I can credit the movie for doing things that most franchises are gun-shy about. Killing main characters? Yup. Changing the status quo. Oh, hell yeah.

As much as the first 20-odd minutes of the movie bothered me as a kid, they also really impressed me. (Ironhide is dead? Holy shit, anything can happen. Arcee is dragging Windcharger's....corpse and...oh my god Wheeljack is also dead! What else can happen? Starscream too?!?!?!) No joke, I liked the idea that I could not be sure my favourites were going to make it out. (And, when Spike said a bad word, my jaw hit the floor.)

As a kid, I knew that season 3 would not be possible without the movie. Imagine being 8 years old and....your favourite show jumps 20 years in to the future and has the sorts of changes that you would expect on a grown-up show. (That is going to soften a good many hearts, especially when nostalgia has had 3 decades to build.)