TV shows are awesome

A general discussion forum, plus hauls and silly games.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Re: TV shows are awesome

Post by Sparky Prime »

I really enjoyed the first two episodes. It's fun seeing Vision and Wanda essentially living as if their lives are old sitcoms. They somewhat based these two episodes off of the Dick Van Dyke show and Bewitched in-particular, even more or less replicating the sets from those shows. I get a sense of the progression of time with the change of sitcoms as well as elements therein such as with censorship and eventually getting color. It's some cool attention to details within this setting I wasn't expecting, but I really enjoy seeing. It also make me really curious to see what other sitcoms they'll pull inspiration from. I am a little surprised they didn't really do much to hint at what's really happening, but they have given us some interesting clues so far.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Wandavision episode 3

Looks like they based the set off of the Brady Bunch in this episode. It's still very much in the realm of sitcom antics while Wanda and Vision try to hide the that they are any different from their neighbors, which is made more difficult for them to do with the situation they have to deal with in this episode. Interestingly, Vision seems more concerned, but he's often distracted, not leaving him much time to question it. And things certainly ramp up at the end of the episode when we get our first glimpse of what's really going on... Of course still not much on answers, but I thought this episode was excellent.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Episode 3 was great, I love the 6 hour pregnancy progression and all the craziness, and the questions at the end were pretty interesting. Nice to hear a reminder that Wanda had a twin brother, who I can't recall any mention of in any of the movies since he was killed back in Age of Ultron. She's had a rough few years, no doubt about it. I still wonder if it's really her in control of this reality, as it appears to be, or if there's something bigger going on behind the scenes.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

andersonh1 wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:46 am I still wonder if it's really her in control of this reality, as it appears to be, or if there's something bigger going on behind the scenes.
Yeah, I'm really curious about this as well, considering it seems like either could be possible at this point. Wanda seems to be able to control this reality, but yet they've hinted someone may be manipulating her.

You're right, I don't think they've referenced Pietro since Age of Ultron, so that was a nice callback. I'm hoping to see more of that in this series.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Wandavision episode 4.

Another excellent episode, although I'm a bit surprised they filled in so much all at once. From only hints what's going on outside the sitcom reality to a full episode outside of it, filling us in on a lot of what's really going on. I wasn't expecting to see people coming back from the Snap (or "Blip") in this episode, and made for an interesting way to formally reintroduce us to Monica Rambeau and S.W.O.R.D.. Nice to see Kat Dennings reprise her role of Darcy Lewis from the Thor films, and Randall Park is back as Agent Woo.
Spoiler
And Rambeau confirms it is all Wanda's doing
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Nice to see people returning from the snap and what it was like for them, something the movies didn't go into a lot of detail about. And yeah, a lot got explained, but there's still plenty of mystery to be explored about how and why Wanda is able to do all of this. I enjoy that, like Star Wars with the Mandalorian, this show brings back some b and c-list movie characters and gives them some more screen time.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Wandavision episode 5.
This episode draws its sitcom setting from Family Ties.

And whoa, this was a great episode, loaded with a lot of little hints and nods.

I get the impression S.W.O.R.D. director Tyler Hayward knows more than he lets on, especially given he reveals he was sitting on footage of Wanda breaking into the facility Vision's corpse was held in this whole time. His attitude towards Wanda also seems overly hostile, and he's a little quick on the trigger. But I expect he's just a government stood rather than the an actual villain.

Monica Rambeau's medical checkup following being thrown out of the "Hex" leads to some interesting results. Hinting at her developing powers?

Billy and Tommy raise a lot of questions. Dunno if they have powers (aside from aging), but they seem to know about Wanda's powers. This episode seems to call into question everything we thought we knew about Wanda's abilities in the MCU. She's a lot more powerful than they realized. Wanda seems to be somewhat more free about using her powers now, at least around Agnes. There's definitely more to Agnes, she's aware of the sitcom setting unlike others trapped under the mind control. It's good to see Vision finally confronts Wanda about what's happening, although they both get distracted by something even Wanda appears surprised about...
Spoiler
I'd heard Evan Peters had been cast in this show to be Pietro (interestingly it even gets pointed out it appears Wanda "Recast" her brother)... but actually seeing him still comes as a surprise and raises so many questions for what it means to the MCU.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Great episode. Seems like Agnes is losing the will to play along with the various scenarios and quite possibly that events are starting to get a bit out of Wanda's control. I like how they noted that Wanda very nearly beat Thanos all by herself, indicating just how powerful she must be. The revelation that she had stolen Vision's body from where it was held in storage is something I did not expect, because I thought he was a fiction that she had created.

As much as I'm enjoying the sticom parodies, I'm not quite sure that I get the in-story logic of them. Why has Wanda not simply created an idealized domestic scenario that's her idea of what she would like life to be like? Why pick sitcoms rather than something resembling her real life? I'd like to see all of that addressed at some point.
Spoiler
I was hoping to see the same guy from Age of Ultron playing her brother, but having the guy from the X-Men movies is certainly interesting. Is Marvel going multiverse here? And I very much like that they remind the viewers that Wanda was in fact an enemy when she first appeared.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

andersonh1 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:24 amAs much as I'm enjoying the sticom parodies, I'm not quite sure that I get the in-story logic of them. Why has Wanda not simply created an idealized domestic scenario that's her idea of what she would like life to be like? Why pick sitcoms rather than something resembling her real life? I'd like to see all of that addressed at some point.[/spoiler]
It's odd me me that someone born and raised in another country would create a reality based on American sitcoms. I mean, I guess it's possible these sitcoms got brought to Sakovia for Wanda to have seen them growing up, and may have seen them as an ideal rather than the reality she actually grew up in... That or someone else manipulated Wanda into creating this reality. Either way, I'd have to agree, I'm hoping this gets addressed at some point.
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Post by Ursus mellifera »

Sparky Prime wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:33 am and may have seen them as an ideal rather than the reality she actually grew up in...
I think that's exactly the point. Sitcoms are an idealized portrayal of real life. I think Wanda keeps switching between different eras because she's trying to find the "perfect" one, which is, of course, impossible, since sitcoms are only able to idealize real life by being fairly unfaceted. I think she's getting more and more frustrated as the "ideal" American life keeps failing to meet her needs.
Check it out, a honey bear! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinkajou