TV shows are awesome

A general discussion forum, plus hauls and silly games.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Re: TV shows are awesome

Post by Sparky Prime »

Wandavision episode 6

Looks like they went with Malcom in the Middle as the basis for the sitcom in this episode. Kinda expected something more 90's for this episode, as that show started in 2000, but the themes of that sitcom works well for where this show is currently at.

It's interesting Wanda said her Halloween costume was based on a Sokovian fortune teller, which is a bit controversial, given the Romani heritage the character has in the comics. And Vision's costume is apparently meant to be a based on a Mexican Luchador. Creative way to justify the comic book inspired Halloween costumes in this setting at any rate. Billy's costume is also like his comic book counterpart. Seems odd that Tommy shares Quicksilver's costume, rather than something that mirrors his own comic book counterpart.

We get confirmation that Monica Rambeau's cells have been changed as a result of crossing through the barrier, twice. Tyler Hayward is definitely up to something that seems to be focused on Vision specifically. Given they mentioned in the previous episode Vision's body had been in a S.W.O.R.D. facility, I'm betting they discovered something with his body that they want him back to continue to research. I like that he cites the struggles following the Snap in his argument with Rambeau in how to deal with this situation with Wanda, showing us why his view is a lot more reactionary.

The commercial in this episode is... Odd, even as far as other commercials in this series have been. Others have appeared to be references to some trauma in Wanda's life, but I'm not sure what "Yo-Magic" is referencing.
Spoiler
It's interesting Pietro and Wanda's memories from their childhood don't match up, something she even questions him about, and he avoids. Wanda also confides in him she has no idea how she created this reality, once again indicating there is something going on that may be influencing Wanda. Good to see Billy and Tommy get their powers in this episode, and Billy helps to save Vision as he's being ripped apart in his attempts to leave Westview.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

The cliffhanger on this one surprised me, in a good way. I expected Wanda to go out and rescue Vision,
Spoiler
I did not expect her to expand the hex in a big way.
And it's interesting that she's not quite sure how she did all of this either. I don't know Marvel well enough to guess at a possible reality-altering villain other than the guy who erased Spider-Man's marriage (Mephisto?), so I'm just going to have to wait and see how it all plays out.
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Post by Ursus mellifera »

andersonh1 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:51 am And it's interesting that she's not quite sure how she did all of this either. I don't know Marvel well enough to guess at a possible reality-altering villain other than the guy who erased Spider-Man's marriage (Mephisto?), so I'm just going to have to wait and see how it all plays out.
Wanda, herself, is a reality altering villain. I mean, now she's an Avenger, but her whole thing in the comic is altering probabilities, and she began as a bad guy.
Check it out, a honey bear! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinkajou
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Ursus mellifera wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:28 amWanda, herself, is a reality altering villain. I mean, now she's an Avenger, but her whole thing in the comic is altering probabilities, and she began as a bad guy.
I feel that is an oversimplification... She may have premiered as a member of the Brotherhood of Mutants, but she and Quicksilver joined the Avengers only about a year after their premiere. And they'd only joined the Brotherhood because Mangeto had saved them from a mob. She's been an Avenger for most of the character's existence.

As for reality altering villains, Mephisto certainly is one... And he was involved in the comic in which Scarlet Witch gave birth to Billy and Tommy, claiming their souls belonged to him. Or it could just be someone with telepathic/mental abilities strong enough to manipulate Wanda.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Episode 7 - More answers, and I knew something was up with that character
Spoiler
because of how prominent she was compared to all the others...
Spoiler
- Vision learns all about what happened to him in the real world, including dying twice
- Monica gets super powers of some sort. I'm not a big Marvel reader so there is a lot I don't know, but wasn't she Marvel's version of Captain Marvel at one point? This is something else though.
- Agnes is Agatha Harkness, and gets her own theme song! That was awesome. The only Agatha Harkness I have read is in the Lee/Kirby Fantastic Four where she's clearly a witch, and also nanny for Reed and Sue's son Franklin. She's quite friendly to them, but I have no doubt the character has been through a lot in the years since, so the WandaVision version may be accurate, I don't know.
- Wanda is losing control of the illusory town.
I'm really enjoying this show and its mix of sitcom, super hero and mystery storytelling.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

andersonh1 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:25 pm
Spoiler
- Vision learns all about what happened to him in the real world, including dying twice
- Monica gets super powers of some sort. I'm not a big Marvel reader so there is a lot I don't know, but wasn't she Marvel's version of Captain Marvel at one point? This is something else though.
- Agnes is Agatha Harkness, and gets her own theme song! That was awesome. The only Agatha Harkness I have read is in the Lee/Kirby Fantastic Four where she's clearly a witch, and also nanny for Reed and Sue's son Franklin. She's quite friendly to them, but I have no doubt the character has been through a lot in the years since, so the WandaVision version may be accurate, I don't know.
- Wanda is losing control of the illusory town.
Spoiler
I'm a bit surprised Darcy knows the whole story behind Vision's death(s). It doesn't seems like most of the circumstances behind the Blip is public information. But then, she was friends with Thor, and is involved with some high level stuff, so it makes sense could be one of the privileged few to know the whole story.

Monica has gone by many super hero names in the comics. Captain Marvel, Photon, Daystar, Sceptre, Pulsar, Lady of Light, Sun Goddess... Currently, she goes by the name Spectrum. Her powers allows her to control and transform her body into various forms of energy within the electromagnetic spectrum.

I had a feeling Agnes might be Agatha. Like you say, she was Franklin's nanny in the comics, and she was even a mentor to Wanda, teaching her how to use her magic abilities. I'm surprised she's being portrayed as a villain here. Some of her children/grandchildren in the comics were villains, but she wasn't so far as I know.

Nice to see X-Men Pietro is still around in the post-credits scene, felt it was a little odd he didn't show up in the rest of the episode. Seems that he was conjured up by Agatha, although it's still unclear why this version of Pietro.

What has Agatha done with the twins?

Not surprised Tyler Hayward was trying to reactivate Vision, explaining his interest in Vision and secrecy in the series thus far.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Spoiler
Monica was the first human Captain Marvel, not Carol Danvers the way the MCU has it (she wouldn't take up that mantle until 2012, she was Ms. Marvel in '77), Monica gave up the Captain Marvel moniker when Mar-Vell's son wanted to become a hero, and took "Photon" with a look similar to her look here.
WV seems so shallow still, it feels like it hasn't got as much to give as the build-up suggested it would. Hopefully the last two eps have more to say because as it is now, there not enough to justify the time asked.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Episode 8
Spoiler
did a nice job of walking us through Wanda's life and answering some questions about Vision. It really has explained just about everything, this show is basically Wanda retreating to a safe place and happy memory from her childhood to take refuge from her grief and loss. And that's fair enough. Agatha can't understand how she did it, and is trying to figure her out. To me the big reveal is that Hayward was lying about Wanda stealing the Vision's body, that is still in the possession of Sword. The Vision we've been following all this time is a creation of Wanda's.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Spoiler
Great that we finally got an explanation for the sitcom settings. Malcom in the Middle seems like an odd show to be in that mix (not to mention, if this memory takes place in 1999, wouldn't exist yet). I like how tv night was their way of learning English. Nice to see some of Wanda's background, and interesting to learn Wanda always had powers without realizing it, the Mind Stone just amplified them, I guess. I'm wondering if how they're portraying Agatha is misdirection just to make us think she's a villain. We need more background on her. Like that Agatha calls her Scarlet Witch for the first time, a being she says is capable of spontaneous creation that uses Chaos magic. Really interesting to find out Wanda didn't break into SWORD to take Vision's body like Hayward claimed, and they've built a Vision of their own.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

"Superman and Lois" had a pretty good opening episode. LIke all the CW shows I've watched in the past, there's a lot of teen and adult angst and not enough super-heroics. Some of that may be the network writing for demographics, some may simply be budget. It's a lot easier to pay to portray Green Arrow on a tv budget than Superman. But by and large, this was a good opening episode. I like the guy playing Clark/Superman, and I enjoy what is essentially the Rebirth setup from the comics from a few yeara ago: Clark and Lois living on a farm and raising their son. In this case, they have twin sons, and one of them is starting to manifest powers. Clark and Lois feel like a happily married couple facing life together while being mostly on the same page. The family is not perfect, the boys have some cringey dialogue, and Clark might have a little more self-doubt than he should, but overall it's a good family dynamic. And for once, Sam Lane is in on the secret and has a good relationship with his son in law.

And the Superman suit from the old 40s cartoons gets a cameo before they switch to the regular costume. Nice.