TV shows are awesome

A general discussion forum, plus hauls and silly games.
andersonh1

Re: TV shows are awesome

Post by andersonh1 »

Episode 3 felt like a James Bond movie. That's not a bad thing, it works for a series like this, I think. Fights and gunfights, no superheroics. Funniest (and truest) line of the episode was Bucky's deadpan "She's kind of awful now" referring to Sharon. And did I see right, were they in the country that Dr. Doom rules (Latveria?) for part of the episode? Didn't seem like enough of a police state to be his country though. Good to see Bucky's time in Wakanda hasn't been forgotten, or that Zemo killed their king.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

andersonh1 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:37 amAnd did I see right, were they in the country that Dr. Doom rules (Latveria?) for part of the episode? Didn't seem like enough of a police state to be his country though.
I thought the same thing at first... But they were in Latvia, not Latveria.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Sparky Prime wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:05 am
andersonh1 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:37 amAnd did I see right, were they in the country that Dr. Doom rules (Latveria?) for part of the episode? Didn't seem like enough of a police state to be his country though.
I thought the same thing at first... But they were in Latvia, not Latveria.
Okay, that makes more sense then.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Falcon and the Winter Soldier ep 4 - I don't think I expected John Walker to crack so quickly, but then it is 2/3 of the way through this series, so I guess it's not that quick after all. I don't really hate the guy, he's been picked for a role he's not really suited for and gives it his best, but the weight of expectations and the impossibility of competing with super-powered enemies is just too much for the guy. I feel sorry for him more than anything else, and after the end of this episode, I expect he won't get to be Captain America any longer. Sam really came across well in this episode, wanting to talk and find a peaceful way out of the conflict with the Flag Smashers. Bucky's shock at the Wakandans disabling his arm was a great moment ("Did you know they could do that?" "No."), and Zemo ends up in many ways being more sympathetic than John Walker.

I did wonder just how Walker took the super-soldier serum. He should have to inject it, but I have no idea where or how he could have found a syringe to do that, given the events as depicted. And the editing of the final attack was a bit suspect, I thought. Still, good episode and I'm curious to see how they'll wrap all this up in the final two episodes.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

andersonh1 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:03 am Falcon and the Winter Soldier ep 4 - I don't think I expected John Walker to crack so quickly, but then it is 2/3 of the way through this series, so I guess it's not that quick after all. I don't really hate the guy, he's been picked for a role he's not really suited for and gives it his best, but the weight of expectations and the impossibility of competing with super-powered enemies is just too much for the guy. I feel sorry for him more than anything else, and after the end of this episode, I expect he won't get to be Captain America any longer.
Really reminded me of the reasoning Dr. Erskine chose Steve Rodgers in the first place. John Walker's not a bad guy, and in many ways he's an ideal soldier. It's interesting to see his motivations for taking the serum. Loosing to the Dora Milaje, who aren't super soldiers, really demoralized him. It makes sense he'd feel he had to take the serum to keep up with the treats he was facing. Overall, this illustrates why he's not the ideal choice to be a super soldier. It'll be interesting to see what becomes of him in the remainder of the series.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Falcon and the Winter Soldier episode 5

Surprised to have a (mostly) civilian based episode when this is the second to last. There is an actress in this episode that was a total surprise to me to see, that seems to be setting things up for where they take John Walker's character from here. As well as a post credits scene. Glad to see Isaiah again in this episode, and helps Sam realize what it'd mean for him to take up the mantel of Captain America. And so the finale showdown is set up for the next episode.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

I'm still trying to figure out what message the episode was trying to send, because it all felt contradictory to me. Should Sam take up the Captain America mantle or not? Is Isaiah right, or is Sam right? Have we come a long way as a society or not? It looks very much as if Sam is going to take up the mantle and become Captain America, which of course he should, so I guess the show is coming down on the side of "we've come a long way", but that may depend on the final episode this week. My problem with the debate is that Sam is a character the audience has been following for a long time now and we're already rooting for him, so the question "can a black man be Captain America" is not being asked as an abstract question. It's being asked about a character the audience knows and supports. Of course the answer would be the same either way, yes he can. And in Sam's case, the answer is yes he should, because he's clearly the best choice.

I do think the show has been clear that it was Steve's moral character that made him who he was by showing that John Walker failed not because he didn't have enhanced physical power, but simply because he does not have the same moral character. Sam Wilson does, and it's that character that makes him worthy to assume the identity.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

On a different note, I did like the confirmation that Bucky and Steve had a conversation prior to Steve's time travel to return the Infinity Stones, something it seemed like we should have seen on screen but didn't. Bucky was in on Steve's plan to stay in the past and knew what would happen with regard to the shield.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

andersonh1 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:46 am I'm still trying to figure out what message the episode was trying to send, because it all felt contradictory to me. Should Sam take up the Captain America mantle or not? Is Isaiah right, or is Sam right? Have we come a long way as a society or not?
I didn't feel it was contradictory... I don't think it's a question of who was right or wrong, but in-part, I think it did illustrate how some things have changed since Isaiah's day. While we still clearly have a ways to go as a society, I felt the conversation between Sam and Isaiah is something that helped convince Sam to take up the mantel of Captain America, making him realize the importance a black Captain America would represent.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Sparky Prime wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:37 pm
andersonh1 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:46 am I'm still trying to figure out what message the episode was trying to send, because it all felt contradictory to me. Should Sam take up the Captain America mantle or not? Is Isaiah right, or is Sam right? Have we come a long way as a society or not?
I didn't feel it was contradictory... I don't think it's a question of who was right or wrong, but in-part, I think it did illustrate how some things have changed since Isaiah's day. While we still clearly have a ways to go as a society, I felt the conversation between Sam and Isaiah is something that helped convince Sam to take up the mantel of Captain America, making him realize the importance a black Captain America would represent.
That makes sense. And a public, high profile for Sam, as opposed to Isaiah's more covert existence, is going to have influence in ways that Isaiah was never able to have.