TV shows are awesome

A general discussion forum, plus hauls and silly games.
andersonh1

Re: TV shows are awesome

Post by andersonh1 »

Book of Boba Fett episode 6 - Wow.
Spoiler
Luke Skywalker training Grogu. Ahsoka references Anakin to Luke. Cobb Vanth makes a return. The Krayt Dragon skull! CAD BANE in live action! Flashback to the Jedi Temple and the clone troopers killing padawans!! This episode had it all... I feel petty for complaining that Boba Fett is once again barely in his own show, but when the episode is this good and this full of Star Wars goodness, I can't say I mind all that much.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Yup, gotta agree on all that. Only thing that rubbed me the wrong way on TBoBF this ep was the music, it was all over the place. Not bad, but definitely not always on target.

Peacemaker, I'm an ep behind, still fun although uneven.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Book of Boba spoilers...
Spoiler
It was really cool seeing Ahsoka and Luke together for the first time on screen. I'm curious how their first meeting would have gone, considering her history. Nice call backs to Luke's training while he trains with Grogu. Really surprised to see Luke had Yoda's lightsaber. Would have thought that would be long gone, but who knows... Maybe Yoda built a new one on Dagobah that Luke discovered. Nice that Luke used it to set up for the choice between Grogu becoming a Jedi, and returning to the Mandalorian. And I never expected to see Cad Bane in live action.

It's a little strange that the best episodes of TBoBF thus far have featured very little, to no time with the title character... But hey, not complaining when the episodes are this good.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Book of Boba Fett episode 7 - great finale,
Spoiler
all out action for most of the episode. There's definitely a feeling of the series having set up a bunch of guns, and now they all get fired, but it's well done. I loved Mando and Boba Fett fighting back to back, and the final duel between Boba Fett and Cad Bane. I guess that unmade Clone Wars episode happened in some form, given the dialogue. I'm not surprised that Grogu chose his dad over Jedi training, though as Luke noted last week, Grogu's already been trained, he just needs to remember what he was taught.
Overall, I enjoyed the series quite a bit. I think it benefits from crossing over with the Mandalorian and from the shared set of characters. Here's hoping we'll see Boba and Fennec again.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Book of Boba's finale didn't make up for the show's flaws, but I enjoyed the ride, if you catch my drift. The first half was a clumsy episode, but the second half was incredibly fun and awesome, kept ratcheting up the excitement.

Peacemaker was a great finale, I don't want to spoil anything, but it paid off nicely for what it was doing.

At present, I seem to be showless.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Boy Meets World - so thanks to my daughter enjoying the sequel series Girl Meets World on Disney+, we sat down and watched the original, which I had never seen before. I think I caught the occasional scene or part of less than five episodes back when it originally aired in the 90s, and I was vaguely familiar with some of the characters and names from pop culture (Topanga, Mr. Feeny), but that's about it. Turns out that it is a well-written, well-cast (William Daniels in particular is always excellent), genuinely funny show that can be equally dramatic when the storyline calls for it. We watched all seven seasons over a few months, and I really enjoyed it. So now of course I have to watch GMW with my daughter (who has seen every episode about five times now) to see where all the old characters ended up. If any of you have children, sooner or later they'll drag you into their entertainment interests, and sometimes it turns out to be worth the trip. :mrgreen:
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Bit of trivia: The actor that played Mr. Feeny was also the voice of KITT in Knight Rider. The red light on KITT was a reused light from the Cylons on Battlestar Galactica.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Shockwave wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 5:41 pm Bit of trivia: The actor that played Mr. Feeny was also the voice of KITT in Knight Rider. The red light on KITT was a reused light from the Cylons on Battlestar Galactica.
Now that you say that, I can hear it. I never watched much Knight Rider, but I saw enough to remember the voice of the car. Cool.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Ms. Marvel

I haven't finished all the episodes yet, I think I have maybe 2 episodes left but wanted to comment on a few things...
Spoiler
So, I'm not very familiar with the comic origins of the character, but in the comics, Kamala Khan is an Inhuman who gains her powers after a Terrigen Bomb spread Terrigen Mist across the globe. Her powers essentially are the same as Mr. Fantastic, to stretch her body in almost any way imaginable. This version of Kamala is... very different. She gets a bangle from her grandmother, which her mother calls junk, that she decides to use for her Captain Marvel cosplay. When she puts it on, it apparently activates her latent powers. The series I don't feel has been very clear on this though. On the one hand, her best friend who is a gadget wiz, and smarter than a high schooler should be, ran a scan on her showing the energy originates from within her. But on another hand, it's been explained that the bangle draws energy from a parallel universe. So which is it? Is the power within Kamala or is it from the bangle? At any rate, her powers in this gives her the ability to generate hard light constructs. She's basically like a Green Lantern and I'm not sure why they decided to completely change her powers like this... They kinda simulate her comic book powers at times in that she sometimes creates bigger hands that she stretches out, but she's also creates platforms and shields totally independent from herself maintained by her concentration.

They've said there's supposed to be two bangles, one of which is missing, with no one knowing what became of it. Given the bangle was shown to be recovered from a severed blue arm, it would appear to be Kree in origin. It kinda reminds be of the nega-bands from the comics that Captain Mar-Vell used. Somewhat like nega-bands, which would switch Mar-Vell and Rick Jones between universes, the bangle also seems capable of opening portals to other universes... A group from another universe that call themselves the Clandestines, (whom it turns out Kamala is a descendant of one of them, her great-grandmother who disappeared decades ago) wants to use Kamala to get back to their own universe, although her friend warns it could be dangerous as it'd take a lot of energy which could go boom. The bangle is also capable of time travel, as we've seen glimpses of an old train that the series has touched on of an event that happened decades ago, which Kamala eventually gets sent to.

In typical teenaged super hero fashion, Kamala attempts to keep her super hero identity secret from her family, which is already strained due to her mother being over-bearing. She also gains the attention of Damage Control (one agent of which is portrayed as being racist) who decide to bring her in, although I'm not really sure that's their jurisdiction, and the aforementioned people from another universe. So basically everybody is on her case for one reason or another.

It seems a little odd to me her mother agrees to take her to Pakistan to see her grandmother, despite blaming her for ruining her brother's wedding and refuses to tell anyone why. The grandmother's instance seems to be what convinces Kamala's mother to take her, but... Her relationship with her mother is also strained. I just don't find it very believable she'd agree to this trip when she's not exactly happy with either of them.

It's also odd to me that Kamala has posters of Carol Danvers in her room. I mean, Captain Marvel really hasn't spent much time on Earth after getting her powers and it seems people only know she exists thanks to Antman's podcast... How/when did she have the time to have publicity photos taken?
Edit: Finished the series...
Spoiler
After a brief time travel event with Kamala making sure her grandma as a little girl is returned to her father, and returning to her own time, the portal opens to the other universe. But when the Clandestines approach, it kills one of them. Kamala warns the Clandestines leader that it'll destroy everything, including her son, so she sacrifices herself to close it... and somehow gives powers to her son (which are similar to Kamala's albeit a different color), who is still back in New Jersey. Kamala's mother finds out about Kamala's super powers. After returning to New Jersey, and getting a professional looking super hero costume from her mom, Damage Control goes after the pair of super powered teenagers. The public rally around the kids, allowing them to escape, and the agent in charge of leading this operation is disciplined for going in against orders. A week later, Kamala's best friend informs her that he took another look at her genetics and discovered something unusual in her not in the rest of her families genetics... A mutation (with a hint of the 90's X-Men animated theme for emphasis). How does he have access to equipment sophisticated enough for this? This high schooler just identified the X-gene?

In a post-credits scene, Kamala notices the bangle glowing, when she is suddenly teleported away and Carol Danvers is teleported in her place in her room, setting things up for The Marvels film... So I'm guessing the bangle is like the nega-bands, given this is similar to what they could do in the comics.
Not a bad series, mostly focused on introducing Kamala and where she comes from. It felt a little slow to begin with and rushed in the final 2 episodes though. They hint at this storyline with the grandma thought-out the series, but when they finally show it, they don't really add anything to it that we hadn't already been told and they rush through it very quickly. I'm not sure what the point of Kamala visiting it was when it really didn't add or change anything. I also wish that they had been a bit clearer about the origins of Kamala's powers. I mean, they tell us why she's got powers. But given her family history, the bangle, and the powers Kamran gets... It needlessly complicates the storyline.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

She Hulk Attorney at Law

Only the first episode is out thus far...
Spoiler
Much like in John Byrne's run in the comics, this version of Jennifer breaks the fourth wall to talk directly to the audience. I kinda wish they'd saved the fourth wall breaking for when she does later on in the episode though, because of the look of surprise she gives the camera. The episode is told mainly as a flashback, with Jennifer relating how she became She Hulk to us. She's hanging out with her cousin Bruce, there's an accident, a couple drops of his blood mixes with hers and she transforms. Bruce takes her back to an isolated lab/house in Mexico that Tony Stark set up for him and figures out her Hulk form has some benefits his doesn't, allowing him to figure out a way to heal his arm. He begins training her to control her Hulk form, but once again, she's a very different Hulk than Bruce. Unlike Bruce, she's already in full control, but Bruce warns whether she likes it or not, she's now a super hero. Against Bruce's advice, she returns to work, convinced she'll never need to use her Hulk form, but during closing arguments in a case, Titania breaks through a wall, forcing Jennifer to transform to stop her.
Overall, I really enjoyed this episode. They addressed some questions that'd come up in some of the films, and seemed to have a lot of fun with this episode. I'm looking forward to the rest of this series.