TV shows are awesome

A general discussion forum, plus hauls and silly games.
andersonh1

Re: TV shows are awesome

Post by andersonh1 »

Part 3 - the reset button is coming. I'm just saying...

John Wesley Shipp gets to play his version of the Barry Allen Flash from the 90s tv show, complete with a flashback to him and Amanda Pays as Tina McGee, and Flash notes he and Tina got married at some point. Iris was in that show, but only for an episode or two, and Tina McGee, Pays' character, was always Barry's love interest in the show, even if it was more implied than anything. We even get a bit of the main theme from that show, carrying on the trend of musical cues from various DC shows being played when various characters get their cameo.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

My guess is that DC will be getting rid of the TV multiverse.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

It's Crisis on Infinite Earths, of course they're getting rid of the multiverse.

There are major plot holes in these episodes that seem like whole sequences edited out. I don't mean nitpicky "oh that's a plothole" kind, I mean stuff like "how does character get from here to there, it was left out" stuff. Also, the trip to visit old Ollie to save baby Jonathan was a total waste of our time so far. And why are we sending random folks like Iris West Allen and Lois Lane on these trips? There's also a lot of barely-above-perfunctory character choices, someone does something without really fleshing it out. It definitely is a crossover.

That ending of ep 3 really stank of Infinity War jealousy.

I DVR'd the Black Lightning episode that ties into this, but I haven't watched it yet. I hear there's a few continuity errors where they call that Earth "Earth-1", and I've never watched the show because I keep assuming they'll cancel it before it can tell all its stories, so I'm waiting until it's over before deciding, but I'll watch that ep.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

It's Crisis on Infinite Earths, of course they're getting rid of the multiverse.
The last 2 "Crisis" events ("Infinite Crisis" and "Final Crisis") involved bring back and reworking the multiverse. For the last decade or so, DC has been expanding the multiverse (because it allows for more opportunities for cross-overs and licensing etc). Of course, in real terms, DC is out of ideas, which is why the trash the multiverse on a regular basis (before they even use it).

The real question is if DC (Warner Brothers) has a plan, and if they can actually stay with it.

The fact that Earth 1 (the main setting for most of the shows) got wiped out is what is making me think that they are going to restart with one Earth and no multiverse. (Killing of the old Flash also supports this.)

There are major plot holes in these episodes that seem like whole sequences edited out.
Not sure those are plot holes so much as pacing. But, terminology aside, you are right.

The perfunctory stuff you mention is a good example of them writing by numbers. They allowed for 5 hours (minus commercials) to pull this off, when it should have been closer to a season. The scene with Batwoman and Supergirl is one of the more egregious examples. They have a tense moment when trying to figure out how/if to use a McGuffin, while totally ignoring the fact that their dispute is irrelevant as it does not actually solve the problem. Then, they move on. It reminds me of how a kid would play with their toys.

Still, anything that involves killing Earth 10 (which obligated DC to terdify Morrison's Earth X in the comics) cannot be all bad. (I *really* hate the current "Freedom Fighters" series and want it to go away.)

DVR'd the Black Lightning episode that ties into this, but I haven't watched it yet. I hear there's a few continuity errors where they call that Earth "Earth-1", and I've never watched the show because I keep assuming they'll cancel it before it can tell all its stories, so I'm waiting until it's over before deciding, but I'll watch that ep.
I have not bothered. But, from what I understand, the crossover is only in the last 10 minutes or so.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

I doubt they'll be eliminating the multiverse. With the cameo of the Titans show from the DC Universe app being erased by the antimatter wave, I get the feeling they'll restore the multiverse by the end of this event. Although, I do think they'll use it to reset/restructure some things for the series that air on the CW.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

They fact that they wiped out everything, including the main setting, is what makes me think that everything is going to get a reboot where the shows are assumed to have "always" run together and most of the history will otherwise be kept as needed.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Dominic wrote:The real question is if DC (Warner Brothers) has a plan, and if they can actually stay with it.
Of course they won't! :D The writers are too creatively bankrupt to stick to one Earth for long.

I have not bothered. But, from what I understand, the crossover is only in the last 10 minutes or so.
I watched it, the majority of the episode involved multiple Earths but, despite being called "Earth-1", was clearly not. I felt like it tied in enough as a whole to the theme, and set up the stakes both for Black Lightning and his daughter. His ex-wife can go to hell though. :P
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Caught the end of "Crisis on Infinite Earths".

Over-all, it reminds why I do not watch much television, particularly non-news and non-wrestling. (And, my relatively modest <10 hours per week includes a fair amount of YouTube shows.) Two hours of bad writing and bad acting were more than enough for me. Last night's installment(s) also lacked any scenes with the visceral punch of the old Flash's death.

The combination of several Earths was handled better than the original comic, likely because the show-runners had a better plan in 2020 than DC had in 1985. As expected, most of the television series are not in one place. (Not sure how/why Warner Brothers made decisions about what would be connected and what was not.)

There was one bright spot towards the end. Though, I am happier about what it might imply for the comics more than anything else. During the montage of alternate worlds at the end, there was no Earth 3 or Earth 10. Maybe DC is going to abandon Earth 3 (a dumb cliche with roots in a dumb idea) and Earth 10 (which would mean that they are abandoning the "Freedom Fighters" series and *maybe* bringing back the superior Morrison variant of that idea). Admittedly, it is a long shot. And, the "bright spot" is more of a reflected corona from something that might be a smudge on my glasses. But, it is better than nothing.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

The Arrowverse crossover was a bit of a let-down, the Arrow finale was a stumble, but I'm a little impressed that Supergirl, The Flash, and Legends of Tomorrow actually made big changes even to the opening titles and stuck with them (so far). It'd be nice if LoT's storyline wasn't working so hard to return to status quo, though.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Wandavision episodes 1 and 2 - heavy on the sitcom from another decade emulation, light on the hints that something isn't quite right, though the hints are there and generally quite blatant so you're not going to miss them. The faux ads are quite fun too. The show very much depends on some goodwill being there for characters we've already seen in the movies, and I like both characters, so I'm willing to wait and see what's happening.