Video Games are awesome

A general discussion forum, plus hauls and silly games.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Video Games are awesome

Post by Sparky Prime »

Since we kinda started a tangent about MegaMan on the AHM discussion, I figured it'd be a good idea to start a dedicated Video Game thread, not unlike the Comics thread we've got going here (hence why I ripped off the title). So yeah, feel free to discuss anything about video games here...

Since I mentioned MegaMan, that's a good place to start. I pretty much grew up playing MM2 and 3 with my friends on NES. Like I mentioned in the AHM thread though, we never did beat those games. We eventually figured out what weapons worked best against the Robot Masters but it was either Wily Castle or for MM3, the 'Shadow levels' that gave us trouble. I'm sure we could beat them now, having more experience with games, but of course we don't own them anymore. Personally, MegaMan X has always been my favorite of the franchise though. I've always loved the power ups you could collect in those games so much more that you really don't see in any other MegaMan game.

I have also played MegaMan Battle Network and MegaMan ZX. Wasn't really all that impressed with either of those incarnations. Battle Network wasn't so bad, but I hate the random battle encounters with viruses you get while going anywhere with MegaMan. I know later games made it so you could eventually avoid those, but in the first game I thought it was just really annoying to deal with. ZX, I only played the first level of because I was borrowing it, but I found it kind of confusing since the whole game was pretty much interconnected, so I had a hard time figuring out where I was supposed to go.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Re: Video Games are awesome

Post by Shockwave »

I had mentioned in the AHM thread that I should really track down X and X2 for SNES at some point and was reminded of another game to track down: Silent Hill 1 for the PSX. Bought the strategy guide for it way back when but to this day have never actually bought it. Course lately I've been hooked on Diablo II and the Sims Complete Collection. I did eventually beat all 3 MMs for the NES. Come to think of it, I have a lot of trilogies and sequels in general for that system. I still got Castlevanias 1-3, Super Marios 1-3, Zelda 1 and 2... Remember how they rated the battery memory for about 10 years? Here it is 23 years later and mine still work perfectly! Yeah!
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

I've never had a console system. I've always been one to enjoy computer games instead. Not as much these days as I used to, since with two young children in the house I try to avoid first person shooters, etc, or anything that's too scary or violent for them even if it wouldn't faze me. But here are a few of my favorites from over the years, in no particular order.
- Loom, Day of the Tentacle - two fun adventure/puzzle games from LucasArts, back when they did games that weren't Star Wars related.
- X-Wing and Tie Fighter - never did beat these two.
- Wing Commander 1-5 - great series of space fighter pilot games
- Ultima 6 through 9 - Ultima 6 was one of the first computer RPGs I ever played, and the level of detail and world interactivity was really strong. Ultima 7 parts 1 and 2 are probably my favorite RPGs ever.
- Doom 1-3 - still working on Doom 3. I had to play it after the kids went to bed. Still haven't quite finished, but I lost interest in it for awhile and haven't gotten back.
- Grand Theft Auto 3 - a bit of an aberration for me. Despite playing a thug and a criminal in a nasty world, GTA3 has a really well-constructed game environment and is generally a lot of fun.
- I've been playing a lot of real time strategy games over the last few years, particularly since my wife will play these with me. She doesn't care for Starcraft, but she enjoys the Age of Empires series and a few similar games like Empire Earth and Rise of Nations.
- Half-Life - has to be one of the best first person shooters out there. Still haven't bought the sequel, despite intending to for years.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

I beat HL2 some months back and decided I needed to go back and play the first one again. Then my laptop died!

Relevant.

Anyway, right now I'm playing through classic Pokemon Red again for absolutely no reason. I'm almost to the end! And I've made it my goal to get all 150 monsters this time. And on the side, I'm playing Beavis & Butthead on Sega Genesis (because I never beat it as a kid) and Custom Robo on my GameCube (when it decides to play nice).
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Shockwave wrote:Come to think of it, I have a lot of trilogies and sequels in general for that system. I still got Castlevanias 1-3, Super Marios 1-3, Zelda 1 and 2... Remember how they rated the battery memory for about 10 years? Here it is 23 years later and mine still work perfectly! Yeah!
I had Super Mario 1 and 3. I know I played 2 but I don't think I owned it. Either rented it or it belonged to my friend. Zelda, I had the second one, but I could never figure it out. I didn't know where to go or what to do.

NES had battery memory? Being a cartridge system, I supposed it would have to. Not sure I really realized that before though. But yeah, those things are very durable.
Onslaught Six wrote:Anyway, right now I'm playing through classic Pokemon Red again for absolutely no reason. I'm almost to the end! And I've made it my goal to get all 150 monsters this time.
Last summer I did a ton of work trying to get all 493 of them in Diamond with out a cheating device or someone else who used one. It wasn't actually until this month I did it with the Arceus event.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Without cheating. Heh. Y'know, that raises an interesting question: How do you all feel about cheating in video games? Personally, I rarely play games without cheating. I'd hack an Atari if I could. My Diablo II characters are hacked to next week and my sims never run out of money. I've noticed a lot of console games now days don't really have cheat codes they way the old ones used to. I sometimes hear people argue "where's the challenge?" but I actually find it more enjoyable to go through a game and just enjoy the design of the levels, the characters, the little quirks that are programmed into it without having to worry if I'm gonna die 20 times in the same damn spot. Y'know, just sayin'.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

I try not to cheat, because it ruins the game by making it too easy. A lot of time what I"ll try to do is play all the way through, then go back and use cheat codes to get some extra enjoyment and gameplay out of a game I've already finished. An exception to that would be Starscraft Brood War, where I just could not even last long, let alone win the final missions, and finally just got the invulnerability code so I could finish the levels and see what the end of the game was. Or Trespasser, where I got the unlimited ammo code because guns are so scarce in that game and those velociraptors are everywhere.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

I had Super Mario 1 and 3. I know I played 2 but I don't think I owned it. Either rented it or it belonged to my friend. Zelda, I had the second one, but I could never figure it out. I didn't know where to go or what to do.

NES had battery memory? Being a cartridge system, I supposed it would have to. Not sure I really realized that before though. But yeah, those things are very durable.
Any game with a save option had a battery. And, yeah, they were durable. I was saving "Zelda" games on cartridges that were 5+ years old.

The best way to play "Zelda 2" was to use "room-sweeping" techniques on each section of the map.

Dom
-took about 5 years to beat that game.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Zelda II fell into the trap that many RPGs fell into around that time, and that was that you need to grind a 'lot,' so you can have high enough levels to fight the guys coming in. It sucks.

One time before a trip to Philadelphia, my Super Mario Land cart fell out of the car before we left. We ran over it on the way out, and then it sat in the rain for four days. We also probably ran over it again when we came back. I found it, wet and crushed...but still functional. They don't make these things to break.

I'm jaded from modern games because most of them seem like cookiecutter FPSes with grizzled space marines in giant worlds full of brown and grey (Sorry, I got sick of that in Quake), and most of them have an estimated completion time of ten hours.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

i only ever had a problem with "Zelda 2" when i was trying to game the system.

I had a very aggressive playing style, and would hold out for attack bonuses. This led me to grind more than i would have otherwise. Of course, a few early (if premature) attack bonuses paid off later in the sense that i had more killing power by the time i went through the cave to the swamp area.

Dom
-lost his taste for "Pokemon".