Video Games are awesome

A general discussion forum, plus hauls and silly games.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Re: Video Games are awesome

Post by Sparky Prime »

Dominic wrote:Odd question:

Do the weapons carry between games in "the Wily Wars"? For example, could a player carry weapons from "Mega Man 1" or |"Mega Man 2" in to "Mega Man 3"? \

(I have no practical need for this information. But, I cannot find it anywhere, and it is making me crazy.)
For 1-3 you are limited to the weapons you can get in those games originally. It's only the new content, Wily Tower, that you can choose weapons from 1-3 you want to use for those levels.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Nintendo announced DLC for Pokemon Sword and Shield today. It'll be adding more Pokemon (new and old, although I have yet to see exactly how many they'll be adding), new Gigantamax forms, more Trainer customization options, and two new islands to explore, The Isle of Armor (expected release around June) and The Crown Tundra (expected release around November). The bundle for both islands is about $30 per version of the game.

I think it's great to see that they will be adding more content to the games. But because it felt like an incomplete game to begin with, paying an extra $30 doesn't sit well with me. It's basically a $90 game with the DLC, and I'm not sure it is worth it for the amount of content, or lack thereof. This also is a direct contradiction to Junichi Masuda's comments a few years ago, after the release of X/Y about DLC in the Pokemon franchise. He'd said, a "key point" for Game Freak was that you could "buy the game and it can be enjoyed just with that one software that you buy". It just amazes me how much the game's developers have backtracked on what ideals they've previously held the franchise to with this Generation....
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

I am more forgiving of downloadable games than I am of digital comics (though I miss the old instruction books). But, the fact that so many downloadable games are a string of purchases, rather than a single purchase) is enough to deter me from buying modern games.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

I don't mind DLC in general. But it should be supplementary to a game that is a full game in its own right, not major content that, in this case, used to be in previous games of the franchise. Even the two new islands they'll be adding to Sword and Shield is essentially just post-story areas, like they used to give us in previous games. Only now you have to pay extra for it because they made it DLC...

I've found out they'll apparently be adding 200 Pokemon back to the games, which still isn't all the them, but it's better than having less than half of all of them in the game...
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Anyone who watches Jim Sterling's Youtube channel for more than like, 5 minutes knows how he feels about DLC, monetization and the current stated of AAA gaming. And I agree with him on all points, which is why I haven't really bought any AAA games in the last couple of years.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Just before MA locked down, I picked up a Genesis retro-console.

As a whole, it has done a fantastic job of staving off boredom.

However, and ironically, one of the games that convinced me to buy in has proven to be an endless source of annoyance.

"Mega Man: the Wily Wars" is terrible. The controls are worse than the original. (The obligatory "Castlevania" game on the console is more playable.) The transitions between levels and fights are sloppily handled. The games are permanently set to the harder settings (with the anove mentioned worse controls).

There are other, better, games on the Genesis, including "Streets of Rage 2".

I could go on about how "Streets of Rage 2" recreates the arcade dynamic in a way that compliments the Genesis design aesthetic (including the chunkier controller). Perhaps, I should.

But, all of that pales in relation to one thing. "Streets of Rage 2" has a level where the player fights ninjas....on a pirate ship. No other game, perhaps no other series, including the fabled "Super Metroid" series has that.

"Streets of Rage 2" sets the bar high. And, that bar is a lead pipe that can be used to bludgeon your enemies.

This game should be called "Streets of Euphoria".
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Dominic wrote:But, all of that pales in relation to one thing. "Streets of Rage 2" has a level where the player fights ninjas....on a pirate ship. No other game, perhaps no other series, including the fabled "Super Metroid" series has that.
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

And, those are robot ninjas.

Touche'.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Managed to unlock "Wily's Tower" last night.

The Robot Masters are *easy*. The drop in difficulty is more severe thsn the fortress in "Mega Man 3". (3 is an easier game on its own. But, the Doc Robots are relatively difficult, and followed by the easiest fortress stages in the series.)

These stages should have been unlocked from the beginning. Even with the poor controls and other (numerous) flaws, using weapons from across 3 games against enemies from across 3 games os a better hook than what Capcom released.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

I recently got the Mega Man Zero/ZX Legacy Collection. I'd been looking for a physical copy since shortly after it was released at the end of February, but I guess it sold out extremely fast, because the only copies I could find were in stores over 100 miles away, or used copies on Amazon going for twice the retail price. I nearly bought the digital version, but last week while checking various stores online, Best Buy had it available, and in a nice surprise, it even arrived two days earlier than expected.

So far I've only played a little bit of the first Zero and ZX. Zero, I'm finding to be a fairly difficult game, mainly with the bosses. I'm enjoying it, but I can't wait until I can power up Zero to make things a bit easier. ZX I got a little lost with in the beginning. It's got more of an open world thing going on, and it's not always clear on where it wants you to go. But otherwise, I'm really liking it.