BotCon discussion, on the ground and after the fact

A general discussion forum, plus hauls and silly games.
138 Scourge
Supreme-Class

Re: BotCon discussion, on the ground and after the fact

Post by 138 Scourge »

Well, if you figure I was willing to let the lineup change from the original band that pretty much changed my life slide, I'm willing to let the transmogrification into Jerry Only's Traveling Punk Rock Remainders Show go, too. Besides, the Project 1950 album was pretty good.

Yes, changed my life. I know how nerdy that sounds, but it's pretty much true.
Dominic wrote: too many people likely would have enjoyed it as....well a house-elf gang-bang.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Eh, we've all had a band like that. Fairly sure that NIN changed my life at one point (although it was probably the fact that 86 was all, "Hey, look! Music that is good and doesn't suck!")
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Mirage
Gestalt Combiner

Post by Mirage »

FINALLY picked up my FedEx package at the warehouse across town on Saturday (after two failed delivery attempts while I was at work, I said screw it). And now, I finally feel I can post my Botcon haul:

Wings of Honor Boxed Set
Leozack Freebie
Razorclaw & Elita-One
Sweeps 3-pack
Banzai-tron & Skyquake

G1 Skygarry MISB
Superlink General Galvatron MISB
Henkei Hot Shot
Henkei Dinobot
Henkei Red Alert
Henkei Smokescreen
Encore Ironhide
Encore Ratchet
Encore Trailbreaker
Alternity Convoy (silver)
Club Nightbeat
G1 Fastlane & Cloudraker loose
G1 Flywheels loose
G1 Nightbeat body w/gun loose

Pix here:
http://i591.photobucket.com/albums/ss35 ... 1_8003.jpg

Also had autographed:

G1 Jetfire bust by Gregg Berger
Tracks and Cosmos print by artist Alex Milne and voice actor Michael McConnohie
My G1 movie soundtrack CD cover by Stan Bush, Vince Dicola, and Weird Al Yankovic
My (new) Superlink Galvatron by David Kaye
Animated Activators Prime by David Kaye

Pics here:
http://i591.photobucket.com/albums/ss35 ... 1_7993.jpg

Wow-- that's my biggest damn Botcon haul ever. It was a great con, and I had a great time with my friends, including JT :) Hopefully next year is somewhere that a lot more of us can get to. I would have done a more extensive write-up on this year's con, but I never had time until now, and now it's kinda after the fact. The party was really cool, and by now you've all heard the details, so I won't bother.
I disappear.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Sorry for the delayed response, had a wisdom tooth pull and a bunch of family stuff that kept me busy.

Upon reflection on Botcon, I think it was a good time but I definitely feel like it could be a little "more" as well, the exhibitor hall being the biggest issue. I can see going to another one if it's not too far, but I'm not sure I'd go every year, it's definitely more fun to catch up. I think what I was missing was a sense of the brand history, which was alive and well but not visually represented in the exhibit hall (aside from the exorbitant pricing on G1s and Encores in all the sales booths).
Onslaught Six wrote:
Blackout. He's not in a Cybertron mode because they needed a helicopter in this line. Hasbro admits to bending the rules by making an animated character out of a movie character.
I'm not sure *why.* A TF is a TF. I'd personally have loved to see more Animated Movie characters. Brawl and Barricade! Hell, do *Bonecrusher!* Hate!
Could be that Dreamworks has licensing issues since they designed the movie looks, or it could just be that they are meant to be different animals and not confuse casual buyers.
Dominic wrote:I can objectively see Hasbro's point. They want to preserve their intellectual property, and avoid awkward moments with paying license holders.
One wouldn't pay a license holder in that situation, it'd be the other way around.
On the other hand, this kind of crack-down can serve to raise ire among collectors. And, there is precedent for semi-guerilla items being accepted. Unicron.com has sold items through the *official* fan-club. What is going to happen with them?
Ire it will raise, no question, but I am hopeful that the aftermath will be Hasbro's recognition of the hardcore collector base needing certain things to be produced, and better to be in charge of that than not.
138 Scourge wrote:All I'm sayin' 'bout this is, if the "Evil Girl Band" is still called the Misfits, they better god damn well earn it this time. Though, it'd be kinda funny if the current lineup of the Misfits replaced the cartoon version on a revitalized Jem...
So you want Jem's rival band to be Jerry Only? I don't think Jem will stand a chance, but it might make for an interesting conflict, though I think a more Glenn Danzig-centric version would be better tv.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
138 Scourge
Supreme-Class

Post by 138 Scourge »

JediTricks wrote:Sorry for the delayed response, had a wisdom tooth pull and a bunch of family stuff that kept me busy.
Ooh, wisdom tooth pulling. Good times. Had that done a few years ago after one of my back teeth friggin' exploded. Like, there were just roots to pull out. Yay! Anyway, glad you're better now, bro!

JediTricks wrote:
138 Scourge wrote:All I'm sayin' 'bout this is, if the "Evil Girl Band" is still called the Misfits, they better god damn well earn it this time. Though, it'd be kinda funny if the current lineup of the Misfits replaced the cartoon version on a revitalized Jem...
So you want Jem's rival band to be Jerry Only? I don't think Jem will stand a chance, but it might make for an interesting conflict, though I think a more Glenn Danzig-centric version would be better tv.
Since you put it that way...(imagines Jem Battle of the Bands thing)

Jem: Thank you, that was our song "Barbie with Holograms".

Announcer: And now, "The Misfits"

Glenn: Thank you. This song's dedicated to Jem over there. It's called..."ATTITUDE!"
Dominic wrote: too many people likely would have enjoyed it as....well a house-elf gang-bang.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

138 Scourge wrote: Ooh, wisdom tooth pulling. Good times. Had that done a few years ago after one of my back teeth friggin' exploded. Like, there were just roots to pull out. Yay! Anyway, glad you're better now, bro!
Yeah, that's a real blast, mine was nearly as bad actually, but it came out quick and easy because it turned out the roots were super short and conical. Thanks. I'm getting the final one taken out in August.
Glenn: Thank you. This song's dedicated to Jem over there. It's called..."ATTITUDE!"
Are you calling Jem a whore? ;)
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
138 Scourge
Supreme-Class

Post by 138 Scourge »

JediTricks wrote:Are you calling Jem a whore? ;)
Inside her feeble brain there's probably one...?
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Well this year was the first Botcon I was able to attend and I'm glad I went. I missed the panels almost entirely. The first night nearly killed me for the whole weekend on account of the line waiting destroying my feet. I spent the rest of the con walking around on no less than four blisters between both feet. In spite of this I still had fun and I can honestly say it was the best weekend of my life! I seriously had dreams of meeting Wierd Al at Botcon and it happened. Literally living the dream!

Anyway, here are my hauls from the con:

Wings of Honor Box set
Leozack
Razorclaw
Elita-1
TFCC Club exclusive Breakaway, Landquake, and the Helicopter guy (for Nexus Maximus since I had Heatwave on the way).
one of each T-shirt
the Botcon hat
ROTF Bumblebee and Soundwave
Henkei: Grimlock, Megatron, Smokescreen, Warpath/Cosmos/Wheelie, Hot Rod, Astrotrain.
Classics: Ultra Magnus/Optimus Prime 2pack, City Commander set, Trailer for Prime, Mirage.
G1: Mirage, Prowl (w/box in good shape $50), Wheeljack, Encore Trailbreaker, Hound, Smokescreen (w/box, box damaged, but was only $45), Red Alert (w/box, box damaged, but only $45), Kickback, Shrapnel. (all complete). All 5 Quintessons and the Golden disk add on set for BW Megs.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Oh yeah and this guy tagged along for the ride:

http://www.botcon.com/BotCon09/webfiles ... 7.JPG.html

He didn't win, but let's face it everyone really seemed to bring their A game this year and I was glad to have an entry. Besides, now something I made is on the Botcon website! Yay me! :lol:
138 Scourge
Supreme-Class

Post by 138 Scourge »

I like it. What is it, Bluestreak?