Onslaught Six's Tracking Topic

A general discussion forum, plus hauls and silly games.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Onslaught Six's Tracking Topic

Post by Onslaught Six »

Interestingly, a week or so before the board came to be, I was planning on doing semi-daily runs to local places to catalogue what they had--mostly for my own amusement and also to see if any patterns of When Stuff Hits developed.

I work in Altoona. Altoona has some places. It's got a mall with a KB, a K-Mart, a TRU, a Target and a Wal-Mart. Then there's Ebensberg, which only really has a Wal-Mart. Ebensberg is a short detour from where I live. Neighbouring that is Johnstown, which has a Wal-Mart, a mall with a KB, and a TRU. There's also a Wal-Mart in Clearfield, where my girlfriend works night shift.

I just bought the whole first wave of Classics, so no more new toys for now. Gotta cut back, and such. Thankfully, besides Super Megs, there's really Nothing that's out right now that I want. Sure, there's Animated, but that can wait a little. If my recent visits are any indication, the buy-it-now-or-you'll-never-see-it-again feeling we all got last year with the movie line is Gone.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Re: Onslaught Six's Tracking Topic

Post by Dominic »

Around here, "buy it when you see it" started with AEC.

First waves of everything are usually pretty common. it is around wave 3 or Deluxes, and co-sells of that, that you start seeing problems. I will start getting antsy around September or so.

Of course, you have a girlfriend who works over-nights at Wal*Mart, so you should be fine.

Dom
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Dominic wrote:Of course, you have a girlfriend who works over-nights at Wal*Mart, so you should be fine.
Indeed, I'm trying to educate her on the ways of the Toys currently. It's an interesting situation, though, because she actually lives about an hour and a half away from me. (It's only an hour from work, incidentally.) Plus she generally needs the money for her actual bills and crap, of which I have none because I live with my father who provides income. She also lives with her parents, but they only just now got jobs, so.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

"Buy it when you see it" started here with Beast Machines' last few waves. I was lucky to find Battle Unicorn (laziest name ever), never saw it on pegs again.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Yeah. There is something to distribution patterns. I live in the Eastern US, so that explains some of it here. (Toys start in the west, and move east, depleting the supplies while they take longer to get here.)
CrossRook
Gestalt Combiner

Post by CrossRook »

I've been doing the Buy it when you see it since I got money of my own to spend.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

That'll change in a few years.

Generally, I find it is safer to wait on larger toys, but if they sell out, they are harder to find later.

Dom
onslaught86

Post by onslaught86 »

I have the advantage of a strong sightings network and a small country working i my favour. If I miss something, it's an easy task to have someone else pick me up one. For the most part, my buy-it-when-I-see-it urge is easily controlled, very very rarely do I regret not doing so. That said, I'm a sucker for sales, and usually buy piles of toys when there's 20% off storewide. Guess it balances out.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

My "but it now" instinct is harder to resist as it surfaces more rarely.

For example, I can skip Octankor, as I really never wanted the toy. (As soon as I saw it, my fondness for Octane as a character was cancelled by the toy itself.) But, as I tend to go into lines with set notions of what I will collect, I tend to be aggressive in seeking my "list" items. (Recall the insance lengths I went to at the end of "Cybertron", where many of my must buys were tail-enders. Contrast that with my "blah" attitude towards most everything else. If you go by Murphy's law, I probably walked by dozens of rare Alternators, and never noticed.)

I will not wait for sales on my "to buy" items, and will even pay a premium (at the cost of getting something else) to get the toys on my list. For a sale to motivate me, it has to be generous as heck, like the $5 Voyagers at Target a few years back. I tell ya, I likely would have skipped Mudflap if not for that.

Dom
138 Scourge
Supreme-Class

Post by 138 Scourge »

I've got my "buy on sight" list, but that was strongest during the Cybertron era.

There's my "That, I kinda need" list, that I might get on sight, or wait for, and there's my "if there's a sale" list, which is usually reserved for huge-ass toys, or stuff that's kinda okay, but not something I immediately need.

Man...y'know the other great thing about the Cybertron era? Half of the Cybertron toys I own showed up at Vintage Stock, at about half of retail price. Scourge, Overhaul, Sideways, Red Alert, Undermine, Optimus Prime, Snarl...all these and probably more I ended up getting at about half off. That was so, so nice.

And yet, somehow, I missed "Thunderblast" by playing the "wait for a sale" game. Which kinda sucks, as I love fembots, and T-Blast's basically a female Scourge. Ah, well.
Dominic wrote: too many people likely would have enjoyed it as....well a house-elf gang-bang.