Fall 2022 Hauls!!

A general discussion forum, plus hauls and silly games.
andersonh1

Fall 2022 Hauls!!

Post by andersonh1 »

I'll start the spring and summer hauls thread. I went to Wal-Mart today to see what Legacy figures might be out. None yet, but I found this great little set of die-cast G1 figures for $12. They're all the animation models rather than based off the toys, and all but Hot Rod, Ultra Magnus and Arcee are season 1 characters. The only repaints I see in the bunch are Starscream and Thundercracker, the rest are unique. It's a fairly heavy box for it's size, given that each figure is die cast metal. A lot of the paint is metallic and glossy, and apparently there are "sets" of cardboard inside the box to pose the figures against. One is Teletran 1, the other is the Decepticon computer. It's a great little set, I'm glad I found it.

andersonh1

Re: Spring and Summer 2022 Hauls!!

Post by andersonh1 »

Nice non-Transformers haul today from Ollies. I picked up six volumes of the Scott Snyder Batman, $3.99 each for paperback, $4.99 for hardback. Got volumes 2, 4, 5, 6, 9 and 10, half paperback, half hardback. I'm largely negative on the New 52, but Batman was one of the series that remained pretty good (along with Aquaman and Green Lantern), at least while I was reading it. I think I dropped it because it went from $2.99 an issue to $3.99, but then I was dropping all the New 52 titles I was reading at the time anyway. But I liked the Court of Owls storyline, so now I'll get to see how it ended, and read the Zero Year storyline, along with whatever's in volume 6. Volume 9 is Bloom, which I think has Gordon as Batman, and vol 10 is titled Epilogue, so whatever's in it, it wraps up Snyder's run on the title.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

I wanted to like "Court of Owls". It is exactly the sort of "urban legend" concept that I want in Batman. But, something about the execution did not work. (Part of it was the chatty fights and the way that microphones seemed to work too well. That sort of "seat belt physics" is a sticking point with me.)

Those metal Transformers are gorgeous. I saw a similar Joe set last year. But, every copy of the set that I saw had one or more figures that were chipped, and the chipped figures always included one or more characters that I wanted to be in good shape. (I almost bought two sets to get good copies of the characters I liked, but I talked myself out of it.) Hopefully, I will see a good TF set at Walgreens.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Dominic wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 6:41 am I wanted to like "Court of Owls". It is exactly the sort of "urban legend" concept that I want in Batman. But, something about the execution did not work. (Part of it was the chatty fights and the way that microphones seemed to work too well. That sort of "seat belt physics" is a sticking point with me.)
I really liked the Court of Owls, both in terms of the concept and the visuals. The part of the story that strained credulity with me was the overt mass assassination attempts in Gotham so they could "take over". Seems to me that they'd want to continue doing what worked and ruling from behind the throne, as it were. But a lot of that story worked very well.

I do some reviews over in the Retro Comics are Awesome thread. It's a pretty good Batman run so far.
Those metal Transformers are gorgeous. I saw a similar Joe set last year. But, every copy of the set that I saw had one or more figures that were chipped, and the chipped figures always included one or more characters that I wanted to be in good shape. (I almost bought two sets to get good copies of the characters I liked, but I talked myself out of it.) Hopefully, I will see a good TF set at Walgreens.
They really are very nice. I'd love to see more sets and more characters.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

SS86 Junkheap (Junkyard) - the remold of Wreck-Gar is possibly better than the original, his new sculpting has more detail, and his new paint is more fun. The ways he's worse is in his forearm panels blocking forearm-mounted shield wheels, the panels are movable but it's a pain to do in robot mode and the end result is a panel hanging off the back of the arm. Overall though, he's really fun and a good addition.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Legacy Skids. Yeah I know, I said I'm done with the regular size TFs. I don't really know what compelled me to get this, I don't have any real attachment to the character or anything like that, but there was something about it that had my interest. And I gotta say, I'm not sorry I got it. Hasbro FINALLY made a version of Skids that doesn't completely suck donkey balls (at least for mainline releases, I'm sure the MP version is everything anyone would want it to be). The G1 figure is one of the worst in the line, at least from the waist down as are the Generations versions of him. So yeah, they nailed, knocked it out of the park with this one. I really have no complaints. I was disappointed that the trunk didn't open, but I think I might have known that wasn't there so I can't really knock anything off for that. Bottom line: If you actually want a good version of Skids in your collection, get this one.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

I think you may have convinced me to buy Skids. I keep looking at the figure and thinking that it seems like a well-done version of the character. Might have to take the plunge.

My most recent TF haul: War For Cybertron Tracks - great remake of Tracks, looks good in both modes. Lots of articulation. Nothing flashy, just a good modern version of a G1 character.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

andersonh1 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:26 am I think you may have convinced me to buy Skids. I keep looking at the figure and thinking that it seems like a well-done version of the character. Might have to take the plunge.

My most recent TF haul: War For Cybertron Tracks - great remake of Tracks, looks good in both modes. Lots of articulation. Nothing flashy, just a good modern version of a G1 character.
I'd been on the fence and for some reason just saw it at Target and decided to pull the trigger. Glad I did, it's the best non MP version of him yet.

Also, HAULS!!

Transformers: got the Target four pack, not sure if I mentioned this one before, but I like it. I hadn't heard of Skywasp before this, but I like the updated Waspinator mold and this is a beautiful recolor of it. Ransack works well as a Kickback repaint. It had me wishing I'd been able to find Kickback. Goldbug is another great use of a great mold (and the real reason I bought the set). Scorponok is... Kingdom Scorponok. The figure has problems. We all know it. I swapped the robot heads with the Kingdom version and returned that to Amazon and kept this one, since I just really wanted "A" Scorponok. Then, went to Toys R Us inside of one of our local Macy's and... I found Kickback!! So I got Kickback AND Ransack! I think they're really well done for what they're supposed to be. Transformation is almost identical to the G1 figure, but with more articulation. Then, I was at Target on Saturday and... HOLY F***KING SH**!!! I found Legacy Tarantulas!!! Three months before release date (according to Amazon, which still has it as 12/1/2022)!! I couldn't believe it!! I was just there for salsa, I'd been there and looked through the toy aisle just two days earlier and they had Elita-1, which I passed on, but that was it for new stuff. Then Saturday they had Tarantulas!! He's awesome! Everything I could want in a Tarantulas figure. The spider legs don't hold up the figure in alt mode, BUT, as someone who has a real tarantula, I can tell you they're kinda lazy and don't usually hold themselves up most of the time anyway (at least, mine doesn't, only when she's eating). Looks great in both modes and is a completely new mold. The arms might be upscaled somewhat from Blackarachnia, but that's about it for shared parts.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

More hauls! Forgot to mention that I also found Studio Series 86 core class Ratchet and Wheelie. Ratchet is pretty good, looks great in both modes and I have to assume that this means we're going to get a core class Ironhide at some point. Transformation is interesting and, even though mine took a while to figure out, it does lock together in alt mode. Mine does seem a little finicky, but it does do it. But, it's a great addition and fills in a missing part of my legends/core class collection. Wheelie is equally good, and represents the on screen character better than the titans return figure. He's a little smaller than that one, but it works. I'd highly recommend both of them if you see them.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Finally, a figure I have wanted ever since the G2 comics were published. Found Legacy Jhiaxus at Wal-Mart this evening. Pretty good comic likeness, though the colors aren't an exact match, but close enough. Good comic-accurate head sculpt, good posing options, nice detailing. Even has a little G2 Decepticon insignia.