I'm done with toy collecting.

A general discussion forum, plus hauls and silly games.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Re: I'm done with toy collecting.

Post by Shockwave »

I'd like to post pictures of everything, does anyone know a good website for hosting?
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

I currently use Imgur for image hosting. It's free, and seems to be fairly reliable.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

I hear ya on being done with toy collecting. I have thought the same things in my life, and that was before my girlfriend moved in with me. I hope you will make sure to keep the things that really matter to you, it sounds like you are. When I moved the last 2 times, I threw out things I regretted alongside lots of things I didn't, and then someone talked me into keeping things I wasn't sure about, it's really hard to make those choices.
Shockwave wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:36 pm Ok, so I tried to post a list, but it won't let, keeps saying "Internal Server Error".
That's really weird, I'm not seeing anything in the logs. Was your post at that time attempted?
Boba Fett (this is how you know I'm serious. No Star Wars fan puts Fett on the block unless they mean business LOL)
:lol: :lol:

Siege: Jetfire

ER: Starscream, Skywarp and Thundercracker, Sunstreaker
I'll hit you up on these in PM.

andersonh1 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:36 am I currently use Imgur for image hosting. It's free, and seems to be fairly reliable.
x2 on that, Imgur generally does the trick for normal stuff.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

JediTricks wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:50 am I hear ya on being done with toy collecting. I have thought the same things in my life, and that was before my girlfriend moved in with me. I hope you will make sure to keep the things that really matter to you, it sounds like you are. When I moved the last 2 times, I threw out things I regretted alongside lots of things I didn't, and then someone talked me into keeping things I wasn't sure about, it's really hard to make those choices.
Shockwave wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:36 pm Ok, so I tried to post a list, but it won't let, keeps saying "Internal Server Error".
That's really weird, I'm not seeing anything in the logs. Was your post at that time attempted?
Boba Fett (this is how you know I'm serious. No Star Wars fan puts Fett on the block unless they mean business LOL)
:lol: :lol:

Siege: Jetfire

ER: Starscream, Skywarp and Thundercracker, Sunstreaker
I'll hit you up on these in PM.

andersonh1 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:36 am I currently use Imgur for image hosting. It's free, and seems to be fairly reliable.
x2 on that, Imgur generally does the trick for normal stuff.
Fortunately, I have a very set guideline for what's going: If I'm not enjoying it and it can't be displayed, it's going. That means almost all of the non Star Trek, Transformers, and Star Wars figures are going. I'm keeping the MOTU Mega Construx. From Origins, I'm keeping my two favorites: Beast Man and Faker. And Mr. T, because I pity the fool that gets rid of him.

Thanks for the recommendation for imgur, I think I have an account on there, so I'll give it a shot.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Also, most of my stuff has packaging, but some doesn't. WFC Trilogy stuff all has packaging. MOTU stuff has packaging. Some Star Wars figures have, but most doesn't. the Mego Star Trek figures do, but Playmates ones mostly do not. Everything else is loose and mint.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Shockwave wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:26 pm Fortunately, I have a very set guideline for what's going: If I'm not enjoying it and it can't be displayed, it's going. That means almost all of the non Star Trek, Transformers, and Star Wars figures are going. I'm keeping the MOTU Mega Construx. From Origins, I'm keeping my two favorites: Beast Man and Faker. And Mr. T, because I pity the fool that gets rid of him.

Thanks for the recommendation for imgur, I think I have an account on there, so I'll give it a shot.
Right on, good that you have a plan already for that.

Another cool thing about Imgur is you don't need an account to post unless you want to edit things later.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Ok, so let's talk about MOTU for a moment. I'm done. Fuck all of it. I don't want any of it in my house anymore. I'll still read the comics and enjoy the cartoons and whatever else comes out, but as for the toys... Fuck Mattel, Fuck Amazon, Fuck ebay scalpers, Fuck Origins, Fuck Revelations toys, Fuck Mega Construx... Fuck all of it. I was considering keeping a few favorites or alternatively, keeping the Mega Construx line, which up till now has been fun, easy to find and cheap. Until now. They recently came out with Wave 5. That includes core characters like Trap Jaw, Man E Faces, Roboto, Scareglow and a comic colored version of Tri Klops. I passed on an earlier version of Trap Jaw waiting for this one. This wave was only released as a set and exclusive to Amazon online. Now, you can't even find the listing on Amazon, even for sold out and they're being scalped on ebay for 350.00 - $400.00. Yeah... I don't need or want this stress in my life anymore. This just added more fuel to the fire of fuck everything. So yeah, I'll enjoy MOTU Entertainment, but I don't imagine I'll ever want the toys ever again. Mattel, you KNOW you done fucked it up if I start to hate He-Man toys.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Honestly, I am surprised at how many people have stuck with that property.

Mattel has consistently kept supplies artificially low.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Dominic wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:08 am Honestly, I am surprised at how many people have stuck with that property.

Mattel has consistently kept supplies artificially low.
Indeed. Hindsight is 20/20. The bullshittery started way back in 2002 when they would ship maybe 4 cases to a store, with each case having a total of six figures, 2 each of He-Man and Skeletor, with one each of whatever supporting character. And, that's assuming the stores even got that many cases, which most didn't. It made it hard to collect even back then. Then, they started Classics in 2006 which was such a bad shit show that literally nobody wants to see that sales model return. And now we've got the current bullshit where some parts of the country have hordes of them and the rest have nothing, and Mattel is allowing online retailers to get greedy by charging scalper prices for their product. That, coupled with main character Amazon exclusive bullshittery, combined with all the past bullshittery... honestly, that's all I think about when I look at these figures now. All I associate them with is the anger and frustration that went into acquiring them and I really don't need that in my life.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

The pricing is supply and demand. I am not going to fault dealers for making money. I fault Mattel for engineering a system where the only way to buy product is through dealers.

Mattel makes no money from the after market. If anything, they could probably make more by selling to collectors, rather than dealers. (The dealer buys what they can sell. But, more people might buy product at retail than from a dealer.)

Mattel seems to be stringing collectors along, to ensure we can never make a complete set. (I am just glad that I only wanted He-Man, which was common.)