Spring 2021 Hauls!!

A general discussion forum, plus hauls and silly games.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Re: Spring 2021 Hauls!!

Post by Shockwave »

Ursus mellifera wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:13 amI'm happy with mine. I just don't like his dog penis tail.
Eh, it doesn't bother me. And actually neither does the tip of the sword sticking out. Those eyes though. But yeah, I'm really happy with mine too.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Sparky Prime wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:16 pmGot a shot in the arm today. Getting another next month.
Excellent!! My wife and I, both sets of our parents, one of her uncles, and one of her daughters have all had both shots. Her other daughter has had one and will get the second one soon.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Re: Winter Hauls

Post by JediTricks »

TF K - BW Megatron, Cheetor, Dinobot, Inferno, Huffer, thoughts in the Kingdom thread, only Inferno gets a passing grade, the rest have frustrations holding them back, the beasts have serious engineering issues.

TF K Arcee - I folded like a cheap card table finding this at Target. This figure is not exactly terrible and not exactly good, it's a bad Transformer since it's pure shellmaster and wears that shell on its back with very little hiding; it's also a shoddy version of her alt mode, too thick and kinda sloppily designed. It's a pretty good Arcee bot mode likeness though, especially removing part of the shell backpack. If I had the previous pink T30 Arcee I for sure would have passed this up, but instead I have the Combiner Wars Combiner Hunter black version of that mold.

TF ER Doubledealer - on clearance for $22, this figure is utterly ridiculous and way too G1 for its own good. It has charms but man does it have issues as well. I pity anyone who paid full price for this.

Jurassic World Amber Collection Echo velociraptor - also on clearance at $15, my second Amber Collection figure after the dilophosaurus, it's a little better than the spitter with a sharper sculpt and a little better range of movement. The figure doesn't look at all like Echo, it's just a striped JP-esque raptor which is why I got it. The headset camera it comes with is stretchy to pull over, it took me forever to figure that out, I don't care for it, but the figure's fine without. At $30 these things should have mid-torso jointing, at $15 this is fine if too big for the line's 1:12 scale.

Star Wars The Vintage Collection Beskar Mandalorian and Grogu - great set from a WM exclusive, looks amazing, top notch everything, especially the shiny paint.

SW TVC Boba Fett - a very good update to the Fett-man, but highlights some issues that have been driving me away from TVC, such as the undersized head, the range of motion not being expressive enough or easy to balance, and a lack of sharpness in the sculpt. This figure's top notch aside from the helmet being too short and the rifle being too big, but it just reminds me why I'm more into...

SW The Black Series deluxe Boba Fett - a fantastic update to the Fett-man, not really worth deluxe money buuuut it's sharp and has great articulation. Only issues are the deco is a little off - the greens too dark, the grays not weathered - and the helmet needs to be reheated out of package as the tight clamshell causes it to deform.

SW TBS deluxe Jar Jar - I got this on sale, but not deep enough sale because target's now blowing these out for $9 in some parts. It's a good Jar Jar, great paint, but a very static expression. I like his shield accessory, his atlatl is ok but should have had a removable boomer globe, his spear is lame. He really needed a swappable portrait with something more fitting the character.

SW TBS Bad Batch Hunter - an ok figure, more cartoony than this series usually goes but not full-blown cartoon. I'd have liked storage for his pistol in the backpack, maybe a way to mount the blaster on the backpack. His helmet's really bulky. His knife scabbard in his forearm is kinda neat but gets in the way of hand poses a little. The head sculpt's not top notch but it'll do.

SW TBS Bad Batch Crosshair - same body as the last one with a different upper torso to make him taller than Hunter, as he should be. Fantastic likeness, spot on. Backpack stores his sniper rifle that breaks into 2 parts, the receiver looks like it could pass as a blaster without the barrel, separating them feels scary like something will break, and there are stress marks on that peg. He has a belt with a holster for his pistol. He reminds me a tiny bit of...

GI Joe Classified Series Cobra Infantry Trooper - amazing figure, they traded a few accessories (armband, goggles, sniper rifle) from the COVID-exclusive Cobra Island trooper for a few more paint apps, not thrilled about that, but the figure itself is great and has awesome range of motion, a real presence. I'm waiting on a second one from another retailer, it's that good. The vest does get in the way a little, but it's not too bad.

COVID-19 Pfizer vaccine - got the second shot yesterday, smooth as silk, both times pain in the arm and a day of exhaustion, mild headache, but really nothing terrible yet. Now I can... do the same stuff I already did but with slightly less fear of dying. I'll still be wearing a mask and not eating out of the house.

Shockwave wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:18 am Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge droids from Target. I think these are the action figures of the droids you can assemble at the park. I got the purple ones and that was it. Yep, those are Astromech droids alright. I mean, they've been using the same molds for years now, so there's nothing new except for color. Except on the BB units. Those were a new mold from the previous ones.
Those Target Galaxy's Edge Trading Post figures are actually Hasbro's figures, not the Disney Parks ones. The Astromechs are similar and interchangeable with the Disney Parks ones because the Disney Parks ones originated with the Hasbro build-a-droid body system initially back in the day, but the Disney versions have no foot wires to avoid the issue of guests mismatching left legs and right legs. The BB units however are not compatible systems, the Disney Parks versions are larger for better scale and fully rounded with a weighted ball inside, the Hasbro units which include the Target-exclusive series are smaller, hollow with flat bottoms to keep them standing, and have non-removable heads on a ball-jointed post so they can be more expressive; the size is a huge issue if you're buying them to go with The Rise of Skywalker X-wing, I only had the Disney Parks BB-8 and it's way too big (the only way to get it to fit was to remove the entire ball and attach the head to the inner weighted ball instead), so I had to track down a Hasbro BB unit on the cheap.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

JediTricks wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 12:41 pmThose Target Galaxy's Edge Trading Post figures are actually Hasbro's figures, not the Disney Parks ones. The Astromechs are similar and interchangeable with the Disney Parks ones because the Disney Parks ones originated with the Hasbro build-a-droid body system initially back in the day, but the Disney versions have no foot wires to avoid the issue of guests mismatching left legs and right legs. The BB units however are not compatible systems, the Disney Parks versions are larger for better scale and fully rounded with a weighted ball inside, the Hasbro units which include the Target-exclusive series are smaller, hollow with flat bottoms to keep them standing, and have non-removable heads on a ball-jointed post so they can be more expressive; the size is a huge issue if you're buying them to go with The Rise of Skywalker X-wing, I only had the Disney Parks BB-8 and it's way too big (the only way to get it to fit was to remove the entire ball and attach the head to the inner weighted ball instead), so I had to track down a Hasbro BB unit on the cheap.
I meant that they were action figures of the droid building experience at Galaxy's Edge, where you can go and build a roughly life size astromech droid. It's where they have all the different colored parts on a conveyer and you pick out what you want and then go over and assemble it. They're action figures based on that, I believe. But that's interesting about the differences. I noticed the differences in the BB units since I have both these and the Disney Parks ones, but I never noticed the difference on the R2 unit feet. I'll have to check my Astromech shelf now.

As for Arcee, I passed on her during Earthrise because I still had (and still have, haven't sold her yet) they T30 Arcee and this didn't look like an improvement. When I got the Walmart Exclusive Elita-1 (only because I actually happened to find one), and was able to fiddle with and see it in hand that I decided to get Arcee. Shell forming doesn't bother me. As Emgo on Youtube said, "when it comes to Arcee, it's not a matter of IF there will be shell forming, it's a matter of HOW MUCH shell forming". And as Arcees go, this one isn't too bad, especially since like, half of it is removable. I don't display my figures facing backwards anyway, so it doesn't bother me, and from the front, she checks all the boxes for what I want her to visually look like.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Shockwave wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:38 am I meant that they were action figures of the droid building experience at Galaxy's Edge, where you can go and build a roughly life size astromech droid. It's where they have all the different colored parts on a conveyer and you pick out what you want and then go over and assemble it. They're action figures based on that, I believe. But that's interesting about the differences. I noticed the differences in the BB units since I have both these and the Disney Parks ones, but I never noticed the difference on the R2 unit feet. I'll have to check my Astromech shelf now.
The Disney Parks remote control build-a-droid experience are pretty different from the Target 3.75"-scale figures. Not only do you not get alternate domes (except for the black/orange Astromech with its R3-styled clear dome) but the paint schemes don't match except for the BB-unit who has the wrong head. That is an interesting idea for what they were aiming for, though.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Star Wars Battlefront II (2017) for PS4 - thanks to the May the 4th sale, I got this title for $6 digital download. Since I'm only doing single-player on the PS4, I got this for the single-player experience and am not unhappy with that experience so far. It has a campaign, short but a real story; it has a tiered pseudo-multiplayer mode that has charm, and it has an arcade mode that I haven't tried yet. Enjoyable, although it's missing the squad play and swappable weapons that the original SWBF2 enjoyed. Ultimately I'm glad I got it.

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order for PS4 - $20 for the May the 4th sale digital download, I had to delete a couple games to fit this one. Aside from EA's normal quality assurance where there's clipping issues and stutters, and 3 separate issues calling up the map (projected into a wall so it's unreadable, projected by accident just as entering a narrow space so controls are locked out permanently, and causing the game to lock up when called too soon after being in the menu) this game is pretty good so far. I'm not a soulslike fan, but it's not hardcore soulslike so it's still enjoyable. I like the deep lore and exploring, and the quiet spaces are lovely.

GI Joe Classified Series Cobra Infantry Trooper - finally got my second one, slightly looser joints than the first, but still exceptional.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Teen Titans - the complete series on blu-ray. My daughter wanted to watch it and the price was right, so I was all for it. I remember this show being on Cartoon Network but never watched it. It's an interesting mix of western storytelling mixed with anime-ish designs. Lots of sight gags and a tendency to never tell us exactly who the characters are or where they come from, they just throw villains at the viewer. The same is true of the regular characters, who are never called by their real names, always codenames. Except for Deathstroke, who is always "Slade". This is a good show for Robin who is easily the most capable character on the show, and since he's my favorite, that suits me fine. I joked this this was the "Robin and his sidekicks" show, leading my daughter to substitute "Just Robin" every time the opening titles say "Teen Titans"

"When there's trouble you know who to call... just Robin!" :lol:
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Got my second covid-19 vaccine dose yesterday. Unfortunately, developed a fever and feel terrible as a result today. :(
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Sparky Prime wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 9:30 am Got my second covid-19 vaccine dose yesterday. Unfortunately, developed a fever and feel terrible as a result today. :(
I've had a friend who had the same experience, with the second shot being worse than the first, but it didn't last too long. Hope you feel better soon.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Finally... I knew if I was patient these would turn up in stores around here. Studio Series 86 Hot Rod has finally started turning up in local Wal-Marts, two months after Shockwave mentioned that he had found them in his area, and I picked one up. I appreciate the offer to ship one to me, but I knew I hadn't missed them, so sooner or later they were likely to turn up if I was just patient. Great looking figure, nice animated likeness, and plenty of movie-related accessories. I don't normally buy many Voyager class figures, but this one was worth it.