Spring 2021 Hauls!!

A general discussion forum, plus hauls and silly games.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Re: Spring 2021 Hauls!!

Post by Shockwave »

andersonh1 wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 10:45 am Finally... I knew if I was patient these would turn up in stores around here. Studio Series 86 Hot Rod has finally started turning up in local Wal-Marts, two months after Shockwave mentioned that he had found them in his area, and I picked one up. I appreciate the offer to ship one to me, but I knew I hadn't missed them, so sooner or later they were likely to turn up if I was just patient. Great looking figure, nice animated likeness, and plenty of movie-related accessories. I don't normally buy many Voyager class figures, but this one was worth it.
Always happy to offer to help a fellow collector. In the time since, the shelves are full of them now. I still see a few Scourges here and there, but it's mostly Hot Rod.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Kingdom Warpath. I had been planning to skip this one since I still have Generations Warpath, but I recently had problems with the missile sticking out of the back of that one. While trying to rearrange things, it was knocking over all of the other figures. So I've decided to replace it. Kingdom Warpath is actually pretty good. It's got an interesting transformation and while it felt like things didn't really lock together at first, they really do and it's a really solid alt mode. I like how it's very similar to it's G1 counterpart while also being much more complex, but not needlessly so. Overall, it's a good figure and I would highly recommend it.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

WFC Cromar - decent repaint with a new head, not the best assembly on a couple parts and his toes don't want to work, Powerdasher-inspired likeness is odd and makes him look more Decepticon than Autobot.

WFC Earthrise Airwave - likable bot mode, Micromaster alt modes slaving to be G1 end up hampering more than helping, and no weaponizer modes hold him back; his colors definitely make him seem more Autobot than Decepticon.

GI Joe Classifieds repainted Scarlett & Roadblock - Scarlett's new deco looks much better in the head, armor is a little too plain now, but I'll take it over flashy mcgee. Her crossbow comes apart when you look at it funny. She really needed one more weapon that wasn't one of her three knives. Roadblock they darkened his skin tone and it doesn't fit his face as well, it also masks his tattoo. Like Scarlett, they went too far and his outfit is a bit too plain. His weapon is a disappointment even repainted, the prongs should have been retractable or removable, and he badly needs another weapon than just the knife stabbing him in the moob and the removable mag for the gun.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

GI Joe Classified Flint - as I didn't get Duke, this reuse of his body doesn't bother me. Flint is adequate but a little light on accessories, with no backpack or even an accessible backpack hole, covered by the body armor design for some reason. He comes with his beret, shotgun, and pistol, all of which are decent pieces, the first two are even painted. The shotgun fits into a holster on the back which is fixed in place, it seems to have the design set to load from under his left arm and then face up, this makes little sense but fits nicer. The likeness on the face is a bit too smiley, but otherwise good, and the hat snaps onto the hair perfectly. Decent but not mind-blowing.

TF Earthrise Optimus Prime - bought used off ebay, complete without instructions or box. This is a good but not great Optimus Prime, and while he has some things better than Siege Optimus like less kibble, other things are much worse like painted fists, and the upcharge for that trailer is unacceptable for how lame it is. Plus, how do you get Optimus' ion blaster wrong when the Siege one showed you already knew what it looked like? It is nice having an Optimus with the Matrix that's not a Masterpiece figure, and there definitely is a more premium feel than the Siege figure. I'm glad I didn't miss out on this, but it doesn't replace Siege Optimus in my collection, merely augments.

TF Netflix Captive Pinpointer - a black and red repaint of Firedrive (aka Firebolt), probably my favorite of the Siege Battle Master molds, and 2 blast effects, both this and the next came with that ebay auction, I guess the seller liked Netflix Megs better than ER OP, meant a better deal for me. I don't have Crosshairs because that figure looked lame as hell, so Pinpointer can just hang with his other Battle Master buddies. For some reason, Hasbro didn't bother painting a faction sigil on him, so he can switch sides since my 'cons could use more guys.

TF Netflix Captive Lionizer - an orange and silver repaint of Lionizer with translucent red parts that spell doom for the longevity of this figure. This more closely matches the G1 character design, but the simplistic deco lets it down. Comes with a pink sword-swipe blast effect. Not terrible, but would have been nice to get a different character name here.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Walmart Mindwipe and Skullcruncher thanks to Ursus Melifera. I've had these before and I like them. Mindwipe is my favorite of the two, partially because I just like bats, but also I just like the detail on this figure. Like the chest piece/cockpit looking like a coffin. I forgot some of the engineering problems with Skullcruncher and it doesn't look like they've been fixed. Two of them can't be without remolding: The legs have a hard time locking together in alt mode. You basically have to snap them together and then finish folding them over, otherwise, they'll have a gap. And the legs in bot mode. Not enough leg to actually hold the figure up unless you rotate them at a slight angle and even then it still falls over. If that doesn't cause him to fall over, the way too loose hip and knee joint will. I still like this figure, but I think maybe it's time they could update it again to fix these problems.
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Post by Ursus mellifera »

I was hoping they'd fix the disintegrating cockpit problem on Weirdwolf, too.

Didn't happen, though.
Check it out, a honey bear! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinkajou
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Arrived today: Golden Age Batman omnibus volume 9. I can't believe they've kept this reprint series going this long, and I hope for more. This volume takes us up to August 1954. I guess it's the old story of "Batman sells" because Superman is still only at six volumes, and no further than his 10th anniversary in 1948, with volume 7 solicited and then changed twice now. With this latest volume of Batman, we've got the first 15 years reprinted, which is pretty impressive.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Ursus mellifera wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:30 am I was hoping they'd fix the disintegrating cockpit problem on Weirdwolf, too.

Didn't happen, though.
Disintegrating cockpit?

Also, Kingdom Core Class Soundwave. Review in the Kingdom thread.
Spoiler
BUY IT!! BUY IT NOW!!!!!
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Post by Ursus mellifera »

Shockwave wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:53 pm
Ursus mellifera wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:30 am I was hoping they'd fix the disintegrating cockpit problem on Weirdwolf, too.

Didn't happen, though.
Disintegrating cockpit?
The hard plastic kind of... disintegrates? Leaving only the soft red plastic holding the canopy to the main body.
Check it out, a honey bear! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinkajou
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

I'll have to check mine, but I don't recall it having any problems. Don't recall any problems with the Titans Return version when I had that either.