Winter Hauls

A general discussion forum, plus hauls and silly games.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Re: Winter Hauls

Post by JediTricks »

Been a while, everything's been a tad crazy more, so I'll just do a few highlights:

TF ER Soundwave w/ Ravage & Laserbeak - this is an oddball set, but likable for 3 remolds that I never got in Siege. Ravage has no tail but has an open mouth, he's painted like a microcassette, I don't love or hate this figure, it does the trick. Laserbeak has no microcassette paint but nice techno detailing overall, when worked into place he does eject from Soundwave's door, but he is a pain in the ass to clip on Soundwave's forearm, it's easier to just use his alt mode tab to hold him in place there. Soundwave isn't terrible, bot mode does the trick well, alt mode is only fair at best, and for some reason he has 2 sets of cassette player buttons on his crotch which is a waste of efforts, if you're putting them on his front don't also put them on his backside. The lack of Siege weathering is really welcome.

TF ER Thrust - the coneheads are complete, and they're all kind of middling - this mold is not worth dumping 8 figures out of, I'm glad I have Siege Starscream and Thundercracker (I only got these guys to pad the Seeker ranks). At least I got nice discounts on each.

TF ER Bumblebee - Walmart canceled my second order of these, making me wonder why they allowed anyone to order 2 in the first place, but overall it's a pretty good Bumblebee figure if you don't mind the Cliffjumper mold underneath. Should have really tooled up new weapons for him though.

TF ER Ironhide & Prowl - I don't like ER Prowl much, he's basically a facade of a robot. Ironhide's ok but suffers the same stupid giant vehicle-ruining boots as his Siege tooling origin.

TF Prime 10th Anniversary Jet Vehicon and War Breakdown - a mixed bag, it's great to have these molds, but each has some foibles holding it back from greatness, and the Arms Microns model kits are weak sauce. Jet Vehicon's got a lot of kibble and the alt mode underside is uncovered, leaving out his weapon for the Arms Micron was not the best choice. War Breakdown looks great but his transformation ends on a very sour note of the back end of alt mode not wanting to complete transformation, and his parts are thinner than other TFs. It's weird going back to this line with Siege having blown me away, but in some ways you can feel the evolution from Prime's design to the current day, such as using a lot of 5mm ports.

Star Wars Beskar Mandalorian in Black Series, Vintage Collection - Hasbro sucks at chrome-look figures, the silver deco on both has no weathering and no wash to make it feel more alive. It's a much bigger problem for the Vintage Collection figure though, his scale doesn't work with that paint. The Black Series looks good with it because it's I think colore mixed into the part (and on mine one shoulder isn't fully mixed). TBS version's cape doesn't work with the jetpack though.

SW TVC Moff Gideon - mine has defectively-painted eyes, my Hasbro defects in 2020 were probably 1 in 5 between SW and TF, but after 3 weeks waiting for a replacement to show up anywhere I figured I couldn't get another so I opened it... not 12 hours later Pulse and Amazon added new stock. It's a pretty good figure, but I've grown weary of TVC as a line, the sculpting and articulation don't work as well at this scale. Still, Gideon seemed like he'd go with my armada of ships and figures.

Lodge 10" skillet, Thermo Pro remote dual probe thermometer - the former for makin' steaks and whatnot; the latter for making bread first, meats second. I've made a few good bread loafs so far.

GI Joe Classifieds Cobra Commander (Regal Variant) - finally got this preorder to show up, and the truth is I don't love it. His sculpting doesn't work with his articulation as well as other figures in the line, he has 2 sets of hands but only 1 of those 4 hands actually holds his sword or pistol so he can't hold both at once, and his sword blade is fuschia red for some reason. Honestly, between Cobra Commander being a let-down and so many awesome figures being COVID-exclusives, GI Joe Classifieds has been enough of a misery to collect that I might just divest myself of the whole thing.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Major haul for me. I bought the IDW hardcover Collection books from a guy no longer interested in having them. All eight phase one volumes (everything from Furman through AHM and the Costa series) and volumes 1-10 of phase 2 (everything from The Death of Optimus Prime one shot onwards well into RID and MTMTE, including one-shorts, Spotlights and mini-series). That was the reason I had stuff up on Ebay over the past month (including the one volume I already owned, since I knew I would replace it), to make a little extra hobby money to buy the set. Now to find space on my bookshelf....
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

andersonh1 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:48 am Major haul for me. I bought the IDW hardcover Collection books from a guy no longer interested in having them. All eight phase one volumes (everything from Furman through AHM and the Costa series) and volumes 1-10 of phase 2 (everything from The Death of Optimus Prime one shot onwards well into RID and MTMTE, including one-shorts, Spotlights and mini-series). That was the reason I had stuff up on Ebay over the past month (including the one volume I already owned, since I knew I would replace it), to make a little extra hobby money to buy the set. Now to find space on my bookshelf....
Nice!! I recently bought 2-4 and 6 of Infiltration. Stupid story behind that: I originally bought it when it came out. Years later I returned them to the comic shop because... nothing happens. I guess I figured if I was going to go back and read it again I would just start with Escalation. So I've been reading through those again and couldn't find Infiltration. So I went to the comic shop and bought the back issues he had. Which were the ones I returned. Which I bought originally. Yeah. I bought them twice, the same copies from the same comic shop. I actually asked him this week if when he was done with day he would go home and tell his wife "So you won't believe what this one guy did..." LOL. He said no but that he will now. I said I'm just glad my stupidity could bring a smile to someone's face lol!

OH!! And more Hauls!!! Studio Series 86 Scourge. So far I really like this figure. Haven't had ample time to fiddle yet, but visually this is going to look great on my post movie shelf. I also plan on getting Cyclonus to go with.

MOTU Origins, She-Ra, Mer-Man, Roboto, and Zodac. First time I've ever had Roboto. The others still have that nostalgia thing going on with better articulation, so yeah, still loving this line.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

I've bought back some version of an item that I had previously sold before, though not the exact same ones as far as I know. :mrgreen:

Those studio series look great. I'll definitely get Hot Rod and probably Kup as well.
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Post by Ursus mellifera »

andersonh1 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:52 pm Those studio series look great. I'll definitely get Hot Rod and probably Kup as well.
I'm all over that Kup. Versions of that dude that transform into the original boxy, pseudo-futuristic truck thing seem to be few and far between.
Check it out, a honey bear! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinkajou
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Ursus mellifera wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:46 am
andersonh1 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:52 pm Those studio series look great. I'll definitely get Hot Rod and probably Kup as well.
I'm all over that Kup. Versions of that dude that transform into the original boxy, pseudo-futuristic truck thing seem to be few and far between.
The Titans Return Kup turned into that. And I'm still pretty happy with that one. I'm also pretty happy with my current Hot Rod/Rodimus so I'm probably going to skip him as well.
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Shockwave wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:43 am
The Titans Return Kup turned into that. And I'm still pretty happy with that one. I'm also pretty happy with my current Hot Rod/Rodimus so I'm probably going to skip him as well.
I love that Rodimus. I forgot about Titan's Return Kup. Wasn't he a headmaster or something?
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

The last Kup I bought was Generations "Sergeant Kup" so I'm probably due for an update.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Ursus mellifera wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:46 pm
Shockwave wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:43 am
I love that Rodimus. I forgot about Titan's Return Kup. Wasn't he a headmaster or something?
The Hot Rod/Rodimus I currently have is the Henkei Japanese Classics with the Fansproject Protector upgrade.

Kup was indeed a headmaster and I liked it. It was fun and still holds up rather well as a G1/movie-esque version of him. I had the Generations one as well and was all too happy to swap it out for the TR version. It was fine for the time, but it was a mess to transform.
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Shockwave wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:55 am Kup was indeed a headmaster and I liked it. It was fun and still holds up rather well as a G1/movie-esque version of him. I had the Generations one as well and was all too happy to swap it out for the TR version. It was fine for the time, but it was a mess to transform.
I love the engineering on that thing, but the springs did make it tricky.