Winter Hauls

A general discussion forum, plus hauls and silly games.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Re: Winter Hauls

Post by Shockwave »

Amazon exclusive Earthrise Barricade and Punch/Counterpunch. PCP is the Power of the Primes one in a slightly lighter shade of blue. There were a few QC issue with mine: The hip joints are too loose and too tight. The hip joint itself at the ball joint that connects to the waist is loose, but not so loose that it can't stand on it's own. However, the mushroom peg that connects the thigh pieces to the legs is so tight that I can't turn them without popping the ball joint off. I am definitely going to need to loosen them up a bit since you need to be able to turn them so that Punch doesn't look like he's pigeon toed. And for some reason, the head keeps snapping to a default position that puts Counterpunch looking slightly to his left. May have to alter that ball joint as well. Barricade is a straight repaint of Smokescreen, head and all. I would have preferred the Prowl/Smokescreen head, but whatever. At least I don't have to customize it like I'm doing with Diaclone Bluestreak. Anyway, last I checked, they were still available on Amazon, I highly recommend it if you like the car bots, Barricade, PCP or just fun toys in general.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Kingdom Optimus Primal. I think this is the best Primal short of the MP version. The transformation is simple, but effective. The only complaint I have is wishing the rear of the Gorilla covered the robot waste better, but since I'm probably not going to display Primal mooning me in Ape mode, that's not really a deal breaker. There's a lot of good detail in both modes. Recommended if you like Beast Wars and want the best retail version of the character.
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Post by Ursus mellifera »

Shockwave wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:53 am Kingdom Optimus Primal. I think this is the best Primal short of the MP version.
This dude is gorgeous in robot mode. I do not regret that purchase at all.
Check it out, a honey bear! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinkajou
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Ursus mellifera wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:13 am
Shockwave wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:53 am Kingdom Optimus Primal. I think this is the best Primal short of the MP version.
This dude is gorgeous in robot mode. I do not regret that purchase at all.
Agreed and it looks good in Ape mode too. Turns out the back of the Ape mode is covered, I just had it wrong. And now it looks great.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

I went to the annual sale at my local comic book shop and came away with a Transformers poster made up of G1 box art. It was about 8.50 with the day's discount on posters. We have a spare bedroom in our new house that we use as a library, so I think it's going to be displayed in there.

Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Post by Ursus mellifera »

andersonh1 wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:05 pm I went to the annual sale at my local comic book shop and came away with a Transformers poster made up of G1 box art. It was about 8.50 with the day's discount on posters. We have a spare bedroom in our new house that we use as a library, so I think it's going to be displayed in there.
What an odd thing to spontaneously find. Lucky!
Check it out, a honey bear! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinkajou
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

andersonh1 wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:05 pm I went to the annual sale at my local comic book shop and came away with a Transformers poster made up of G1 box art. It was about 8.50 with the day's discount on posters. We have a spare bedroom in our new house that we use as a library, so I think it's going to be displayed in there.

I have the 1000 piece puzzle version of that.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

SS86 Blurr. There have been a lot of complaints about two aspects of this figure. I agree with one, but not the other. The first is the face: Apparently people don't like how long or big it is in relation to the rest of his head. I personally, don't mind it, in fact, I think it looks great. The other is the wrists. This one I massively agree with. There is, technically wrist articulation. BUT, it's hampered by the parts that hang off of it from alt mode. The front of the sides of the car flip up to hide the hands in alt mode, but they're also attached to the hands, which means that you have to flip them to at least a 90 degree angle to the hands in order to be able to move them. And, there's really no way to fix it without MAJOR modification that even I wouldn't want to try. Here's the thing with articulation problems: Whether or not it's a deal breaker (or should be) I think is more dependent on how you display your figures. If you just put them in static poses and put them up and that's it, don't transform them or move them or anything, then I don't think it really matters. If you like to pose them into battle scenes from the shows or movies, then it could be a problem. I'm somewhere in between. I usually put them in static poses. Sometimes I display them in alt mode, so they do get used. Sometimes I display them in epic battle scenes. In general, I prefer to have the most articulated versions of a given character. I seldom like to have multiple versions of a character (there are exceptions, like Shockwave).

Having said all of this and having fiddled with Blurr for a bit, I don't think this is a deal breaker for me. He's pretty much going to be on the 86 movie Autobost shelf in a fairly static pose anyway, so I kinda don't care. And it's the most screen accurate one we've had, and a HELL of lot better looking than the US Titans Return version (the Japanese one is more like this one, and with better articulation).

So, if you want a G1 style Blurr in your collection, you have three choices. This one, the Japanese TR version, or the original G1 toy. The TR and G1 versions, are going to be hard to find or probably cost prohibitive (either one in perfect shape is going to run you at least 2-3 times the cost of this figure, if not more). This one is really decently articulated, painted, and I'm glad I was able to find one. It looks great next to the other Movie Bots. I highly recommend this one, it's a great figure for the price.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

I had sampled a few 60s Marvel series via omnibus, and I enjoyed the Lee/Ditko Spider Man quite a bit, so I've purchased the just-reprinted Amazing Spider Man omnibus volume 2 and will probably keep going with that series in future if this volume is good. Everyone around here knows I'm a DC fan first and foremost, but some of these Silver Age Marvel series are pretty good, and it's best to grab a reprinted volume while they're available and reasonably affordable, because older editions go for crazy prices.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Not that I need another volume yet, but I went ahead about bought the just-released Transformers phase 2 volume 12, which finishes up the original run of MTMTE and RID/Transformers with the final issues of each and includes a few other series. I noticed they've changed the paper in this volume to something thinner and not quite as glossy as the previous volumes, which is slightly annoying, but not a deal-breaker.