How is everyone doing in the age of the Corona Virus?

A general discussion forum, plus hauls and silly games.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Re: How is everyone doing in the age of the Corona Virus?

Post by JediTricks »

Thanks Shockwave! It's been a blast making food from scratch, if nothing else this lockdown has taught me that I can do it, and it saves money and is rewarding. Tonight I decided to make more refried beans (soaking the pinto beans now) and Spanish rice.

Public sector if you can get it is an excellent way to go, my ex-girlfriend got a job in public sector and while the pay is good but not amazing, the benefits and job security are astounding. That said, with the situation we're in, the service industry is going to lose a lot of work so there will be competition, don't be afraid to take something sooner that's less ideal and switch in a few years when the market is more in your favor. My sister was stuck out of work for over a year due to undiagnosed health issues and once her unemployement ran out it was a really bad time for her.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Shockwave wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 3:58 pmThings are much better between my fiance and I, but unfortunately I lost my job on Friday.
Glad things are better with your fiance, but sucks about the job.

Yesterday was my first day back to work in a month, with my state starting to loosen some of the quarantine restrictions. Most of the state isn't opening up for a couple more weeks yet, but for what ever reason, my company brought everyone back this week.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Stay safe, Sparky! There's going to be a lot of stumbles as states go back too early, so do the best you can with mask safety (don't touch them once on until you're ready to remove, keep them fully covering your nose and mouth or it won't work) and handwashing.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

JediTricks wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 1:14 pm Stay safe, Sparky! There's going to be a lot of stumbles as states go back too early, so do the best you can with mask safety (don't touch them once on until you're ready to remove, keep them fully covering your nose and mouth or it won't work) and handwashing.
Yeah, I put my mask on in the car when I get to work, which I don't take it off until I'm out of the building and I clean my hands with hand sanitizer as needed. The station I work at is away from most of the other employees, and I wipe things down with sanitation wipes. Overall, I think I'm pretty good about staying safe. Apparently the company has ordered thermometers which they'll eventually start using to check for fevers at the start of shifts.

There was one person at work (in another department) they told us had symptoms this week, but thankfully, their test came back negative.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Thanks everyone. I've been applying for a lot of State jobs, hopefully something will pan out. I'm not averse to private sector either, but man, there just isn't a lot out there right now. Glad everyone else is staying safe. The sooner we can eliminate this thing, the sooner things will get better.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Good to hear about the smart mask safety, so many people don't get it. Just a few moments ago I got an email from my pizza place saying they're giving out complimentary bags for diners to store their masks in, and I just wanted to punch my fist through the screen at how stupid an idea that is and how widespread it will become.

Thermometers are safety theater, this virus can spread from the asymptomatic which means they won't have significantly elevated temperatures, it's all so frustrating how the country seems to want to push ahead with theater rather than deal with the real issue because they are afraid of financial ruin, as if financial ruin weren't going to come anyway when the virus knocks out our neighbors and stuffs our hospitals.

Anyway, doom and gloom aside, I've stuck to cooking. I made another batch of oatmeal whole wheat craisin cookies but with fine chopped walnuts, those are fantastic. I used the second half of the pizza dough to make TWO pizzas instead, thinner turned them way better for whole wheat, gonna do that again soon. Yesterday I made bbq black beans from scratch that were quite tasty, never made a thick, rich sauce before. And last night I got the itch to make whole wheat brownies from scratch... they're AMAZING:

If I hadn't known they were whole wheat, I never could have guessed.

Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

My fiance and I both wear masks when we go out. Also, those brownies look tasty!
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

I ordered a stand mixer but it's been delayed, so my baking has been mostly shouting at my hand mixer for its failure. :P

We've stayed out of the public space as much as possible, and unfortunately the protests have indeed brought significant rises to COVID infection rates.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

My fiancé got tested for Covid yesterday... and found out today the test came back positive. So I've obviously been exposed to it, and likely have it as well (I developed a bit of a cough yesterday and feel like I have a mild cold today). I got tested today, but it'll be a few days before I get the results.
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Post by Ursus mellifera »

Sparky Prime wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:03 pm My fiancé got tested for Covid yesterday... and found out today the test came back positive. So I've obviously been exposed to it, and likely have it as well (I developed a bit of a cough yesterday and feel like I have a mild cold today). I got tested today, but it'll be a few days before I get the results.
Good luck to both of you. I had it this past summer, and it was amazing (not in a good way). Walking to the bathroom made me feel like I'd shoveled the driveway.
Check it out, a honey bear! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinkajou