Toy Story and Legos

A general discussion forum, plus hauls and silly games.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Re: Toy Story and Legos

Post by JediTricks »

Ursus mellifera wrote:
JediTricks wrote:that lends credence to the life being breathed into toys by their value to the owner/play-with-er.
I really enjoy this concept.
It doesn't explain how prepackaged toys are alive, but we can handwave that away with "they were cared for by the people assembling them" I guess :D
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Post by Ursus mellifera »

JediTricks wrote:It doesn't explain how prepackaged toys are alive, but we can handwave that away with "they were cared for by the people assembling them" I guess :D
I just assumed the factory or wherever was like the womb/egg in terms of toys conciousness; they're not aware of anything before the package is opened.
Check it out, a honey bear! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinkajou
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

If nothing else, pre-packed toys are usually licensed, and are "understood" by enough to people to give them some degree of personality/life. (For example, most copies of Buzz, Woody or Combat Karl would probably start with the same basic personality, based on what people understood about the represented character.)
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Dominic wrote:If nothing else, pre-packed toys are usually licensed, and are "understood" by enough to people to give them some degree of personality/life. (For example, most copies of Buzz, Woody or Combat Karl would probably start with the same basic personality, based on what people understood about the represented character.)
I was actually thinking of Buzz, in particular, given how his personality straight out of the box is that of the character, and not an action figure of that character. It makes me wonder if Woody, and all licensed characters for that matter, have to face the same disillusioning realization upon being removed from their boxes/bubble cards.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

What about a toy of a character that breaks the fourth-wall (such as Deadpool)? What about characters that are commonly depicted differently (across different media)? What about poor translations of characters (such as early G1 toys)?
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Dominic wrote:What about a toy of a character that breaks the fourth-wall (such as Deadpool)? What about characters that are commonly depicted differently (across different media)? What about poor translations of characters (such as early G1 toys)?
I don't know! What about toys of characters that are customized into other characters? The whole thing is conceptually fascinating to me even as I don't actually enjoy the Toy Story universe.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

The Pixar movies are mostly concept movies with ideas that are best under a couple of assumptions: 1: They're usually only good for one standalone movie and 2: If you don't think too hard about the larger implications of the concept. Cars and Toy Story have far exceeded both with mixed results. Toy Story manages to have 3 very good movies even if the larger implications have yet to be fully explored. Cars fell apart pretty much right out the gate. Deadpool is established as knowing what medium he's in so it would not be unreasonable to assume a Deadpool action figure would already know he's an action figure. I've often wondered what my toy room would be like in Toy Story. I imagine it would be lots of different characters all coming together and some of them even speaking different languages (Japanese figures would likely be speaking Japanese). It's kind of hilarious to imagine. Customized figures would probably assume the identity of the new character.
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Shockwave wrote:The Pixar movies are mostly concept movies with ideas that are best under a couple of assumptions: 1: They're usually only good for one standalone movie and 2: If you don't think too hard about the larger implications of the concept. Cars and Toy Story have far exceeded both with mixed results. Toy Story manages to have 3 very good movies even if the larger implications have yet to be fully explored. Cars fell apart pretty much right out the gate. Deadpool is established as knowing what medium he's in so it would not be unreasonable to assume a Deadpool action figure would already know he's an action figure. I've often wondered what my toy room would be like in Toy Story. I imagine it would be lots of different characters all coming together and some of them even speaking different languages (Japanese figures would likely be speaking Japanese). It's kind of hilarious to imagine. Customized figures would probably assume the identity of the new character.
I kind of love all of this. I'm currently imagining my Beast Wars and Beast Wars Neo figures becoming frustrated with an inability to understand one another, and Dom's custom Mega Man figures getting confused when addressed by their pre-customized names.

I enjoyed the Cars movies, stupid as they were. I think the main reason I don't like Toy Story is because of my job. I've already seen six dogs die today. I will not be guilted about some fucking plastic (or cloth, or cotton, etc.).