Toy Story and Legos

A general discussion forum, plus hauls and silly games.
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Toy Story and Legos

Post by Ursus mellifera »

Has the Toy Story series every addressed how Legos work in that universe? As in, if you start switching around minifigure parts do they become horrified and confused at what's been done to them? If I build a giant robot or something out of Legos and then disassemble it to make something else have I effectively murdered them? Is any Lego use in the Toy Story universe equivalent to the actions of Andy's neighbor and his toybominations? Maybe Legos don't work that way due to the very nature of the things. Maybe each individual piece has its own consciousness, or maybe they're like some group and/or hive mind, and anything you build from them only refers to itself in plurals like Eddie Brock.
Check it out, a honey bear! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinkajou
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Re: Toy Story and Legos

Post by Shockwave »

Not to the best of my knowledge. At least, I don't recall seeing any lego type toys in any of the Toy Story movies. Maybe that will be something addressed in 4, in fact the trailer seems to confirm it since the kid (I forget her name) makes a toy out of stuff and it goes insane, claiming it's not really a toy.
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Shockwave wrote:...makes a toy out of stuff and it goes insane, claiming it's not really a toy.
Jesus, that series. I don't regret stopping after the second one.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Ursus mellifera wrote:
Shockwave wrote:...makes a toy out of stuff and it goes insane, claiming it's not really a toy.
Jesus, that series. I don't regret stopping after the second one.
Really? You haven't seen the third one? Because that gets you right in the feels.
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Shockwave wrote:Really? You haven't seen the third one? Because that gets you right in the feels.
That's what I've heard. Thanks, but no thanks. It's like how every time we see a trailer for the new Dumbo I just turn to my wife, shake my head and say, "Never again."
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

I am interested in that new "Toy Story" movie.

What is the issue with the third movie?

And, count me as thinking that Lego bricks are a hivemind, but constructs are their own thing.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Now I wanna see a Toy Story movie where Legos are like the Borg.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

IMO, of course, but the third movie doesn't feel like a Pixar movie, it feels like a ripoff of a jailbreak movie with some Toy Story Pixar "feels" slapped onto the ending.

This new movie coming out doesn't feel like anything yet, the marketing for it has been really shockingly minimal. Forky is a fun idea that really they need to get right, Pixar movies like this don't work if you dissect them (Cars is a big one) and this is intentionally about to do so.

With LEGO, I loved them as a child but had no single brick I imbued with love. It was what was created that made them toys to love. Note that RC and Etch don't talk, Mr. Mike doesn't talk, there's several characters that don't talk. But the amalgamations that Sid made out of hate are alive and not happy people, that lends credence to the life being breathed into toys by their value to the owner/play-with-er. Mr. and Mrs. Potato-Head can use their parts even when separated from them, but their parts are not individual characters at that point.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

JediTricks wrote:that lends credence to the life being breathed into toys by their value to the owner/play-with-er.
I really enjoy this concept.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

This thread has actually sold me on "Toy Story 4".