Parting with figures... how do you decide?

A general discussion forum, plus hauls and silly games.
andersonh1

Parting with figures... how do you decide?

Post by andersonh1 »

I find selling bits and pieces of my Transformers collection to be an interesting experience. I was discussing the idea of selling some of them and my wife commented "you should get more for the old ones". I had to inform her that those would not be among the ones headed for Ebay. Too much sentimental value.

... but then almost everything I bought has sentimental value of some sort. I've never been a "I have to have this entire line" type of collector. Pretty much any figure I buy I do so because it's a character I especially like, or there was a scene somewhere in the various fiction that made me want that figure, or if it's early G1 for pure nostalgia as much as anything else. In other words, I have very few figures that I didn't deliberately choose because I wanted them in particular. And that makes it tough to start singling out ones that, as I put it, I'm 'willing" to sell. There really isn't anything I "want" to sell, per se. I'm amused at how many of these unopened figures I had forgotten I even had! But I'm reluctant to part with them.

But as I told my daughter, I do have over 300, and I can afford to part with a few. G1 (originals and reissues, and remakes) and Alternators are safe. RID, Beast Wars, Beast Machines and Armada are safe. Anything after that is probably fair game. I may take some of what I make from selling and see if I can finally make some of those long-neglected collecting goals. I need a few Alternators to complete that line (and that's probably my one exception to the "I don't collect entire lines" rule). I've always wanted e-hobby Sunstorm. Who knows? I'm willing to trade some movie figures for some reissues.

For any of you who have cut down on your existing collection, how do you choose? Do you have figures you will not part with? Do you have figures you bought and then wonder "why did I buy that one"?
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Re: Parting with figures... how do you decide?

Post by Sparky Prime »

andersonh1 wrote:For any of you who have cut down on your existing collection, how do you choose? Do you have figures you will not part with?
I let go of a chunk of my collection a few years ago. Have to say there are a few items I kind of regret parting with, but oh well. But there certainly are a few figures I couldn't part with. Beast Wars, Alternators, Masterpiece and a select few other Transformers, movie stars Ninja Turtles, MicroMachines Star Trek and Star Wars ships, the original MMPR Ultrazord and Astro Delta Megazord to name a few.
Do you have figures you bought and then wonder "why did I buy that one"?
Yeah, certainly have had a few of those.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Well, my collection is a constantly changing thing depending largely on my financial status. Which tends to go in waves. I have times that are prosperous and I buy stuff then some catastrophe happens and I have to sell everything then it's over and I can buy stuff back again. I recently did sell some stuff, partially because I needed to but also because I wanted to which is a new experience for me. I had a situation happen about 8-9 years ago where I had to sell absolutely everything. completely purging the collection was great because it made me realize some of my habits and how I needed to change. For one, I had a lot of figures where I had every version EXCEPT the one I really wanted. Case in point: Henkei Rodimus. I had TFCC Sideburn, US Rodimus, clear Rodimus, Rodimus from the Henkei three pack with clear Kup and Blurr, and the one from the two pack with Cyclonus. But no Henkei Rodimus which is the one I really wanted. So this time, I got that one and that's it. For two, I also found that I had multiple versions of characters that I really didn't need. Case in point on that one: Classics Skeletor. I had the first version of that, the Keldor version, Battle Armor Skeletor, the one from the Mo-Larr two pack and... I think another one, which that's too many Skeletors. At most there should only be 3: Skeletor, Keldor, and the Battle armor version. As of right now, I have "Ultimate" Skeletor by Super 7, which is the basic version with a Keldor head and cape so really, I would only need Battle Armor and that would be it. So yeah, I'm a lot more picky now with what I get and that's really helped.

Another thing that helped is finally getting some decent shelving. Having actual places to put stuff really allows me to take stock of what I have, what I have room for, and what needs to go. I recently sold most of my MP Transformers after deciding that I'm not really a "Masterpiece" kind of guy (I kept Shockwave, Bumblebee and Diaclone Bluestreak, but that was it), I also sold my Encore Fort Max because I don't really need two versions of Fort Max hanging around, nor do I have room for them both. Especially if I wanted PotP Predaking, which I did. I also have some Star Wars figures I want to get rid of (prequel stuff mostly) and I have a few duplicates that need to go, but other than that, most of what I have now is stuff I have because I genuinely want to have it and enjoy it.

And before the last purge, I had SEVERAL figures that I wondered why the hell I'd bought them or flat regretted buying. Not so much anymore. Moviebots mostly.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

I suppose this is going to be my next project, as I've been hoarding figures I can barely remember at this point. I have no advice to give as I've never parted with any of it, and that's a problem. That said, I'd think asking myself how it fits in the rest of my collection, how much I like it on its own, and how much of a frustration it'd be to replace later if I changed my mind are all key factors to consider.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
AldonGan
Protoform

Post by AldonGan »

I parted with about 15 pieces a couple of months ago. Gave them to a friend to kickstart his collection. I have to admit, not a day goes by I don't regret that decision at least a tiny bit. But he's enjoying them a lot so that makes me happy.
You should take a look at these sausage stuffers and you'll be amazed.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

I am doing a fast and dirty purge now. (If anybody has a want list, contact me. Messaging me here is fine. But, texting is best. Facebook is also an option. Not looking to post OCD-grade lists, or have a back and forth. Anything that I cannot sell quick is either going to the local hobby shop, or my friends' kids.)

Ultimately, with "Transformers", I need media support to keep me interested. With action figures, (TF and otherwise), I am more interested in displaying them than anything else. The figures need to be good representations of characters that I like. The longer I go without media, the fewer characters I still care about.
... but then almost everything I bought has sentimental value of some sort.
I understand sentimental value. Like you, I tie it more to character than to figures. For example, I have a G1 Jazz because that is what Jazz looks like in "Man of Iron". But, in general terms, most Jazz figures are good. Similarly, any figure of a random character that I have a soft spot for (such as Windcharger) is likely to be good.

For any of you who have cut down on your existing collection, how do you choose? Do you have figures you will not part with? Do you have figures you bought and then wonder "why did I buy that one"?
Right now, I am cutting back to make space. (I have so little on display, so I have little reason to keep it.)

Generally, I ask myself how I would explain that figure (TF or otherwise) on my shelf, either to a fan or a non-fan.

I have fewer regrets from the last few years, when I cut back on what I have bought. But, there are a few that I probably would have have picked up if I did not find them while hunting for something else.

My current goal is to cut my entire collection down to something that I can fit in to 5 short comic boxes.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

AldonGan wrote:I parted with about 15 pieces a couple of months ago. Gave them to a friend to kickstart his collection. I have to admit, not a day goes by I don't regret that decision at least a tiny bit. But he's enjoying them a lot so that makes me happy.
Welcome to the forums! It's hard to regret bringing joy to a friend. I've done that on occasion, but most of the time I usually just sell stuff on ebay.