Star Wars - General Discussion Thread

A general discussion forum, plus hauls and silly games.
andersonh1

Re: Star Wars - The Last Jedi

Post by andersonh1 »

This is not The Last Jedi related, but I didn't want to start another thread just to ask. I see that
Spoiler
Darth Maul
turns up at the end of Solo.
Spoiler
How is he alive after Obi-Wan Kenobi cut him in half?
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Get ready for a long (and stupid) answer.

Back in 2005,
Spoiler
(when Episode III was being developed) Lucas et al considered putting Darth Maul in to Episode III. The idea was to have all of the Sith in one movie. Thankfully, the idea was scrapped, but not before concept art appeared. Looking at the art, it is pretty clearly the foundation for what became General Grievous.

The art was first released with "Star Wars: Visionaries", an art book that had a few comics in it. The Grievous art was used in a page-waster story that existed to justify a design that somebody could not let go of.

That art, along with most of the book, was forgotten for years....until
Spoiler
the recent "Rebels" series.

As in "Visonaries", Maul somehow survived and managed to get himself mech-legs. He renounced being a Sith...and started hanging out with his yellow-skinned brother. As an added bonus, Maul's appearance in "Rebels" contradicts the story in "Visionaries", most obviously in Maul not having a gun-shot wound to his spiked head.
All that is part of why I do not want to see Solo.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

I've gone looking for information, and it looks like they brought Maul back in The Clone Wars animated series, which I just started watching, thanks to my local library having what looks like five seasons on the shelf. So I guess putting Maul in live action makes Clone Wars canon? Or at least some version of those events anyway. It's still hard to see how a guy survives being cut in half at the waist, but he is an alien. Who knows what organs he can do without?
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

I have yet to see Solo, but I have seen the spoilers that
Spoiler
Darth Maul is in it. I've seen him show up alive in the comics and cartoons before but I'd never have thought a live action movie would ever acknowledge that. The idea that he survived being cut in half, and the fall down that shaft and was given robot legs just comes off as so... bad fanfic.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

This seems to explain it fairly well, though I've spoiled future Clone Wars episodes a bit for myself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgxW6e5qBmE
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

They explain it in full in Clone Wars (which is on Netflix if you have it. Or it was when I watched it). I actually went specifically watching CW for that episode and his story doesn't get resolved until Rebels.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Shockwave wrote:They explain it in full in Clone Wars (which is on Netflix if you have it. Or it was when I watched it). I actually went specifically watching CW for that episode and his story doesn't get resolved until Rebels.
My local library has five seasons of Clone Wars on DVD, so I'm planning to watch the whole thing. Seven episodes in and it's pretty good, though the robot armies need to win more than they do if they're going to be a legitimate threat for the main characters.
andersonh1

Re: Star Wars - General Discussion Thread

Post by andersonh1 »

I just have to say, I'm amazed the Clone Wars writers produced an episode about Jar-Jar Binks (Bombad Jedi) that was actually fun to watch. And I love that Anthony Daniels voices C3P0 in this series. I don't think many of the live action actors crossed over to the animated series, though getting back to Jar Jar, I saw that Ahmed Best played him again.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

What do you think of the Darth Jar-Jar theory?
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Shockwave wrote:What do you think of the Darth Jar-Jar theory?
Fun, but a bit of a stretch. :lol: