Star Wars - General Discussion Thread

A general discussion forum, plus hauls and silly games.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Re: Star Wars - General Discussion Thread

Post by Sparky Prime »

andersonh1 wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:42 am
Spoiler
How did Bib Fortuna get off the sail barge before it exploded?
I had the same question.
Spoiler
Really cool seeing Luke Skywalker in the series, and I'd have to say I thought they did a decent enough job with the CGI on him (looked better than the films at least). I guess that makes Grogou his first student.... Really hope he survived the destruction of Luke's Jedi academy if that's the case. Be kinda interesting given he also survived the attack on the Jedi Temple, and it'd be nice to see an older Grogou as a Jedi. Also really curious where they'll take the series after this.
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Post by Ursus mellifera »

Sparky Prime wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:26 pm
andersonh1 wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:42 am
Spoiler
How did Bib Fortuna get off the sail barge before it exploded?
I had the same question.
The same reason Fett somehow gets out of the Sarlacc Pitt, and Ahsoka survives to adulthood, and Thrawn is somehow involved in any of this. I really enjoyed this series, but the plot watched like a fan-fic many times to me.
Check it out, a honey bear! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinkajou
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Eh. None of this is really fanfic levels of bad to me so far (Bib Fortuna is a stretch, but I haven't seen that yet). Darth Maul's return is the worst in that regard. Sure it was a good story. But the required level of suspension of disbelief is too high for me. Fett I can see fighting his way out of Sarlaac. Ahsoka surviving isn't that bad since Obi Wan says in the first SW that the Jedi were scattered so it's not that big of a stretch to believe that he and Yoda weren't the only ones. As I recall reading in the SW novels, Thrawn was always written as being the type of leader that was always one step ahead of everyone else, Rebels and Imperials alike, so again, it wouldn't surprise me if a leader with that level of foresight and cunning could survive and even thrive after the fall of the Empire.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Ursus mellifera wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:50 amThe same reason Fett somehow gets out of the Sarlacc Pitt, and Ahsoka survives to adulthood, and Thrawn is somehow involved in any of this. I really enjoyed this series, but the plot watched like a fan-fic many times to me.
I'd have to disagree with that.

Not that I ever felt Fett needed to come back...but even before The Mandalorian, I've always felt it was reasonable he could have escaped at some point given it was established the Sarlacc Pitt has such slow digestion in the first place. Jabba intended for it to be a slow torture before it actually killed anyone it ate, giving to the possibility those it ate could escape given the right circumstances.

Ahsoka and Thrawn... I wouldn't say that's a fault of The Mandalorian. If you're going to compare a series to fan-fic for Ahsoka's survival to adulthood or Thrawn being involved in anything, that's because that's what The Clone Wars and Rebels established in the first place. Those series also brought back Maul, which was a death reversal I've never liked. Besides, I wouldn't exactly call Ahsoka's survival to adulthood far fetched, given she left the Jedi order prior to Order 66, and she's a skilled Force user.

Anyway... rewatching the scene from RotJ, it looks like a lot of the people on the sail barge started to run while Leia strangled Jabba, so I guess it makes sense some of them may have escaped before it blew up.
Last edited by Sparky Prime on Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

I agree. Darth Maul is the hardest survival to buy into, but since I like the story and the character I suspend my disbelief and go along with it. The rest of them are not a stretch for me, particularly Thrawn and Ahsoka.

I guess Bib bailed out of the sail barge before it blew up. That's not too much of a stretch. As Sparky says, I expect a lot of people who weren't fighting probably ran for it once Jabba was killed.
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

andersonh1 wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:25 pm I guess Bib bailed out of the sail barge before it blew up. That's not too much of a stretch. As Sparky says, I expect a lot of people who weren't fighting probably ran for it once Jabba was killed.
That makes sense, as does Fett's survival given how Beskar is like the SW version of adamantium; blocking laser blasts and light sabers; how is stomach acid a stretch?
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Also, I guess if the arthritic gold robot could make it off the barge then tentacle head isn't that big a stretch either.
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Shockwave wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:49 am Also, I guess if the arthritic gold robot could make it off the barge then tentacle head isn't that big a stretch either.
That's a good point, too. 3PO walks at, what, 0.5 mph? If he got clear then EVERYONE could get clear.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Ursus mellifera wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:48 am
Shockwave wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:49 am Also, I guess if the arthritic gold robot could make it off the barge then tentacle head isn't that big a stretch either.
That's a good point, too. 3PO walks at, what, 0.5 mph? If he got clear then EVERYONE could get clear.
:lol:
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Bib Fortuna really let himself go. So did Boba Fett for that matter. I wonder if there's an unwritten rule somewhere that mandates who ever sits on Jabba's throne needs to be fat.