Star Wars - General Discussion Thread

A general discussion forum, plus hauls and silly games.
andersonh1

Re: Star Wars - General Discussion Thread

Post by andersonh1 »

Shockwave wrote:I was a bit dubious about Maul surviving as well, but it was an interesting story and one that continues in Rebels. I really enjoyed all of Rebels and if you're enjoying Clone Wars, I think you'll like that one too.
Yeah, I'm definitely planning to move on to Rebels once I finish Clone Wars.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Clone wars revival plans:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/08/12/ ... ave-filoni
So with Clone Wars, are you starting at square one with this new season that was just announced, rather than use the existing material that was already laid out from its previous development? Or is it a mixture of both?

Without getting too much into detail - because I love the fan speculation - but it would be a real shame to have done all this work and not use it. So we are looking at everything and going over all those scripts we had. I think that the biggest thing for me is "how do we make this show better?" And I think that means examining all the work we had done, the work we were planning on doing, and also trying to honor the work of so many people that were in the middle of making stuff.

And I want to make sure that some of the things we were doing come to light, so it's exciting, it's a great opportunity, but my main focus is how do we do this the best we can do it, and give this great story the new, exciting episodes that it needs? Which is what we did every season on Clone Wars: "How do we make the next season better?" So the focus is on being better than before, but absolutely on looking at stuff we haven't [used].

Some of the fans already know because even though the trailers are… it's four shots, really, and there's a lot in those four shots that I put in their specifically for people to decrypt over the next however-long-it-is until this thing is out. And they will, they will! They've probably done it already. But it's all part of the fun in digging deep on clips and seeing what's there.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

I really like what the writers of Clone Wars did with Darth Maul. In just five episodes, they did a great job of showing how the Sith are a twisted version of the Jedi. He uses the weaknesses and character flaws of others against them to manipulate them. He counsels patience in achieving his plans. He learns from his mistakes and adapts to the situation as circumstances change. And in three episodes Maul has already built a power base, taken control of several crime syndicates and taken over Mandalore... only for Darth Sidious to show up and put him in his place rather quickly. Sadly, I think this is the last time he's seen in the series, since the show was cut short when Disney bought Lucasfilm. Maybe they'll wrap up his storylines in the upcoming episodes, hinting at where he ends up in Rebels.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

My first clue that Maul had come back was seeing a picture of a statue or an action figure of SpiderMaul and wondering where it came from (since officially licensed stuff isn't usually done for fan made things). So I looked it up and that's when I found out about this story arc and immediately watched it on Netflix. I was not disappointed either. And I liked his arc in Rebels too.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Star Wars: Episode 9: The Rise of Skywalker teaser trailer is online.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

I saw it. Here's what I hope: that after being disappointed with episodes 7 and 8, I HOPE they can pull it out and make a movie that will redeem this sequel trilogy. I doubt they can, but here's hoping. Seems like they had a plan before they started 7, 8 and 9, and now it looks like they had no idea what they were doing. Each movie so far looks like a reaction to previous movies rather than a story that actually had a reason to exist, and the opportunity to reunite Hamill, Fisher and Ford on screen was completely squandered.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

andersonh1 wrote:Seems like they had a plan before they started 7, 8 and 9, and now it looks like they had no idea what they were doing. Each movie so far looks like a reaction to previous movies rather than a story that actually had a reason to exist, and the opportunity to reunite Hamill, Fisher and Ford on screen was completely squandered.
I've heard different reports about this... Some claim that they never had a defined plan for this trilogy, while others say that JJ came up with a rough outline, but Johnson chose to ignore it for 8, forcing them to come up with something new for 9. Johnson himself claimed there was no plan mapped out, so I tend to think that's the case. But no matter which is true, in the end they've effectively been making it up as they go along. Which is a shame, because it clearly shows and the franchise has suffered for it.

But yeah, I've got to say I've been severely disappointed by this new trilogy, episode 8 especially. The teaser has me intrigued, but I don't hold out much hope 9 will save this trilogy. People are already calling it a RotJ knock-off.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

The trailer for the new Clone Wars episodes has been posted online. This is the Star Wars I'm most looking forward to. :mrgreen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qM_VnToS68w
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

The Mandalorian footage has been leaked, and it looks very promising! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rk_Pz7Y67vQ

As for The Rise of Skywalker trailer, I'm not feeling it. It seems like more of the same JJ sleight-of-hand as TFA.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

JediTricks wrote:The Mandalorian footage has been leaked, and it looks very promising! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rk_Pz7Y67vQ
That looks interesting. I'm glad to see Filoni and Favreau involved. The Mandalorians had some good development on the animated series, so I'm hoping that translates well to live action.