Star Wars - General Discussion Thread

A general discussion forum, plus hauls and silly games.
andersonh1

Re: Star Wars - General Discussion Thread

Post by andersonh1 »

Episode 2 follows up on Cut, the deserter clone trooper from TCW's second season. I remember that episode pretty well, and it's good to see the character reappear, with Hunter noting that since he's stayed off the grid for years, he can help them figure out how to do the same. Of course there's a lot more to the plot than that. Rex is mentioned, and of course Cut saved his life in the Clone Wars episode, leading to Rex not turning Cut in for desertion. Of all the characters for the show to revisit, I did not expect this, but it makes sense.

Curious to see where they'll go next. They don't seem to be setting up the bad batch as any sort of resistance to the new Empire, so far it's more of a case of finding a place to drop out of sight. There are several ways they could go with the various characters. What do clones who have known nothing but fighting do when the war is over? Can someone like Wrecker live a normal life? Cut advised them that if they want to hide, that they have to give up being soldiers and find another way to live, as he has. I can see different characters taking different paths in the long run.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

I didn't really get much out of The Bad Batch, the premiere felt a little perfunctory, nothing felt like it was 'greater than', just more of. Omega is already on my last nerves with no fresh writing so far. The second episode we've seen done time and time again, it's especially frustrating since they went out of their way to visit Cut and got no real useful information from him, despite knowing him so well his kids called them "uncle". It's not as bad as Resistance but it's not as good as Rebels.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

JediTricks wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:47 am I didn't really get much out of The Bad Batch, the premiere felt a little perfunctory, nothing felt like it was 'greater than', just more of. Omega is already on my last nerves with no fresh writing so far. The second episode we've seen done time and time again, it's especially frustrating since they went out of their way to visit Cut and got no real useful information from him, despite knowing him so well his kids called them "uncle". It's not as bad as Resistance but it's not as good as Rebels.
It's early days yet. The show feels as though they're still figuring out how to transition from Jedi to clone protagonists, but I am enjoying what they've done so far. Cut advises them to drop off the grid and become something other than soldiers, which is the type of advice they sought him out to obtain, but are they capable of that? Do they know how to do anything but fight?

I like Omega so far. I love how they slowed down and just took a moment to show her enjoying the dirt. It's Rose stepping out of the TARDIS in Victorian London all over again. It's the joy of discovery. It's a nice dose of innocence amidst the hardened war vets that are the Bad Batch.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Nice to see Fennec Shand from the Mandalorian in episode 4, though she has to be awfully young at this point!
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

I was a little annoyed to see Trace and her sister that Asohka spent four episodes hanging around with turn up in the Bad Batch, because it makes 2/3 of the final Clone Wars season look more like setup for this series than a wrap-up for the Clone Wars. Thankfully the Siege of Mandalore was so good that it makes up for a lot of that. Back to the latest episode, I enjoyed the setting: a plant decommissioning the droid army from the Clone Wars, and Wrecker's
Spoiler
struggles with his inhibitor chip are not good. Who knew the words "good soldiers follow orders" could be so omnious?
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

andersonh1 wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:09 pm I was a little annoyed to see Trace and her sister that Asohka spent four episodes hanging around with turn up in the Bad Batch, because it makes 2/3 of the final Clone Wars season look more like setup for this series than a wrap-up for the Clone Wars. Thankfully the Siege of Mandalore was so good that it makes up for a lot of that. Back to the latest episode, I enjoyed the setting: a plant decommissioning the droid army from the Clone Wars, and Wrecker's
Spoiler
struggles with his inhibitor chip are not good. Who knew the words "good soldiers follow orders" could be so omnious?
Yeah, the Coruscant sisters are among my least-favorite SW characters of all time, they're horribly written and badly voice-acted. The weird thing about season 7 of TCW being a setup for this show is that the first arc with the Bad Batch and Echo was plotted out years ago, they showed a rough cut with voice work back in 2015. So only the Ahsoka/Trace stuff feels shoehorned to me, and it's still shoehorned on TBB.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

JediTricks wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:12 amYeah, the Coruscant sisters are among my least-favorite SW characters of all time, they're horribly written and badly voice-acted. The weird thing about season 7 of TCW being a setup for this show is that the first arc with the Bad Batch and Echo was plotted out years ago, they showed a rough cut with voice work back in 2015. So only the Ahsoka/Trace stuff feels shoehorned to me, and it's still shoehorned on TBB.
It makes the galaxy feel very small, having those two of all people turn up and run into the Bad Batch. The show often seems like "guest star of the week". Despite that, I'm still enjoying the show quite a bit, and the most recent episode was the best.
Spoiler
Rex turns up, having been told by the Martinez sisters where the Bad Batch are, and Rex is very concerned that they all still have their inhibitor chips. He takes them to a scrapyard with some downed Venerator class ships to use the medical bay to remove them, the same way his was removed. But Wrecker's chip activates, as has been hinted at for the past few episodes, causing major problems until they can get him under control. Still, by the end they've removed everyone's inhibitor chips, and promise to stay in touch with Rex in future.
Very good episode, pretty intense in places.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Bad Batch has been renewed for a second season. I'm glad to read this, I've enjoyed the show and would definitely like to see more of these characters.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/star-wa ... 10146.html
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

TBB finale yesterday was, how do I put this gently? Nothing, it was nothing. It wasn't a bad episode, it wasn't a good episode, it had so little to say that it was nothing. If this show is to remain character-based, maybe having the characters be more interesting is a start, not just Omega but everyone. There's a modern day equivalent to Crosshair, he's the friend who stubbornly believes a motto is a lifestyle, and stalwartly fights for things the rest of your friends don't believe in, and it's just obvious without nuance here. And that's the whole episode's core, that's it, the character does a thing and says a thing, shrug.

I have to say I was expecting something more revelatory or exciting or interesting.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

I didn't have time to watch Obi-Wan Kenobi before heading to work this morning, obviously, but I watched about 10 minutes. The montage from the prequels at the beginning is well done, and I just have to say, I'm glad to see the prequels finally getting their due after years of people looking down on them. I enjoyed them right from the start, and any time one of these live-action shows references them, I really enjoy it. The Clone War in particular, just a throwaway line in the original Star Wars movie, is now the massive, galaxy-wide, transformative event it logically should always have been. The montage focuses on Obi-Wan and Anakin, summarizing their history and relationship through the prequels, before the episode revisits Order 66 and then shifts to "10 Years Later".

Looking forward to sitting down and watching this at dinnertime tonight.