SUMMER hauls 2018

A general discussion forum, plus hauls and silly games.
andersonh1

Re: WINTER hauls 2018

Post by andersonh1 »

I didn't get any Transformers related stuff for Christmas, but I did get a gift card and decided to finally do what had been on the back burner for some time: get myself a copy of the Transformers 30th Anniversary blu-ray. I never saw it at retail, and though I've had it on my wish list, I'd never bought it. The price kept going up and up, but I found that the steelbook version was $10 less than the regular, so I bought myself a copy, which arrived today. It's my fifth version following an off-air recording from the late 80s (featuring a live action Optimus Prime talking to a kid named Tommy as a framing sequence), a VHS copy, a DVD copy, the 25th anniversary special edition, and now the blu-ray version. I suppose when the 3D holographic version is available, I'll buy a copy of that too. :p

I watched about the first 20 minutes and I did notice details I'd never seen before, even though they've been there the whole time. A robot's face through the glare when Unicron approaches Lithone, two of the Dinobots (Swoop and Sludge?) among the Autobot assembly line when Laserbeak flies up and starts taping, the ship out in the distance as Ironhide drives down the ramp, Hot Rod and Daniel reflected in the lake, etc., and just a generally crisper, slightly more focused picture than I recall seeing before. If my tv wasn't so old, the picture would probably be even better. It seems to be a genuine upgrade in quality, and I thought the 25th anniversary DVD was pretty good.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

I've wanted this single volume, red leather edition of The Lord of the Rings for a long, long time. Finally found a good copy for half price at the used bookstore today. It's a thing of beauty. :)

andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

This isn't strictly speaking a "haul" post, but if you have a 2nd and Charles used bookstore near you, it might be worth going in to take a look. My local store had a bunch of IDW hardcovers and paperbacks on the shelf that I hadn't seen in there before, so IDW may be getting rid of old stock. I already have the floppies for just about all of them so I didn't buy anything myself, though I may go back for the Transformers UK Classics paperback. A couple of the things I saw:

- Transformers 30 years hardcover, with stories from various continuities over the past 30 years
- IDW phase 2 volumes 1 and 2 (I think)... didn't flip through them to see what was inside
- the Armada omnibus - a paperback with all 18 issues of Dreamwave's Armada series. It looked smaller than the original
- Transformers UK Classics - I've read very little of this material, and I may talk myself into buying it
- Some trade paperbacks from IDW's monthly Transformers series

There might have been more. Sparky, they had a bunch of Green Lantern trades in hard and softcover as well, going back to the end of Geoff Johns run and all through Venditti's time on the book, but again, I have the floppies, so no need to rebuy the same material.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

andersonh1 wrote:Sparky, they had a bunch of Green Lantern trades in hard and softcover as well, going back to the end of Geoff Johns run and all through Venditti's time on the book, but again, I have the floppies, so no need to rebuy the same material.
Yeah, I pretty much have all those stories in floppies as well. Although, I did get a TPB copy of Blackest Night despite having the floppies. Mostly because my #0 is signed by Geoff Johns (thank you Atomic Comics, you are missed), so I decided to keep all of those issues in bag and boards and have the TPB to read.
andersonh1

Re: SPRING hauls 2018

Post by andersonh1 »

Ollie's discount got another round of overstock DC books, and if there's a store near you, it's worth going through them to see if anything looks good. I was still tempted to get some of those hardback new 52 Green Lantern volumes even though I have the floppies, because for $3.99 each the price is pretty good. But in the end I passed them up and just got "Superman in the Seventies", a sampler of Bronze Age Superman, of which I've read very little.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

MASSIVE haul the other day: Power of the Primes: Snarl, Sludge, Blackwing, Rippersnapper, Moonracer, Finback, and... the other pretender guy. Sorry the Autobot Pretenders all look the same. Takara Legends (Japanese Titans Return) Slugslinger, Fastlane and Cloudraker, Pounce and Wingspan. Generation Arcee and Chromia. Also, 30th Anniversary of the Movie on Blu Ray. And a 5 lb. block of silly putty. Makes several good stress balls. Reviews of figures coming forthwith. Short version: Pretty happy with everything except Chromia. Limbs pop off all over the place and it's very frustrating to transform.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Okay, couldn't resist some Green Lantern hardbacks at $4 each, and it turns out I did get some material I didn't have before, in the form of the Green Lantern Corps crossover issues. Got volumes 5, 6 and 8 of the New 52 GL. I might get volume 4 and 7 if I can find them. I guess the price was right. :)

edit: reading volume 5 last night, and I had forgotten Red Lantern Guy Gardner with his handlebar moustache. Weird. And I had also completely forgotten that the Durlan spy impersonated Hal and sent out that message that helped turn so many against the Green Lantern Corps, which also puts Hal's decision to make himself the fall guy for the Corps in a different light. Sometimes I forget key plot points when it's been months since I read them.

And Billy Tan really cannot draw Hal Jordan very well.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Cyber Battalion Shockwave, Classics Ramjet and I have Classics Skywarp on the way.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Does reassembling a figure that's been disassembled in the garage for several years count? Because if so, then Universe Acid Storm. I took him apart for some reason and decided to reassemble him.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Shockwave wrote:Does reassembling a figure that's been disassembled in the garage for several years count? Because if so, then Universe Acid Storm. I took him apart for some reason and decided to reassemble him.
Seems legit to me. :)

My daughter did the same thing with some legends class Transformers we bought her. I swear she's going to be an engineer or something. She just wanted to see how it worked! I bet the bigger more complex Transformers would really interest her.