SUMMER hauls 2018

A general discussion forum, plus hauls and silly games.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Re: Spring hauls 2017

Post by JediTricks »

TRU had a few of the Corgi commemorative James Bond DB5s on clearance, down to $12 from $20, so I bought one in original gray (and they had a 15% off coupon, nice); they also had 2 in gold, all the packages were a bit rough. This seems like a new mold, it's a little smaller than the ones I had as a kid (which were the same toolings my dad had as a kid), and the ejector seat and bulletproof rear screen are thinner material - it's made in China. But it also has rotating front and back license plates, as shown in Goldfinger, which is a feature new to this size IIRC. Bond is permanently in the driver's seat with some painted details but simple, while the henchman is in the ejector seat and is holding a gun on Bond; they changed the passenger, now he has no legs, instead a simple tab so he can eject cleanly, which he does - he fires quite far - but he also slips out of his seat easily, the slot his "legs" slip into is shallow, so he can rattle around in the cabin, jamming up the gimmick. Instead of the whole rear bumper being the button for the rear screen, now the tailpipes are the button which is a nifty little improvement; the buttons for the ejector seat and front guns-rams assembly are still tabs on the passenger side. All in all, pretty decent, and the box design is a black and gray replica of the original.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Picked up The Black Series 3.75" Jyn Erso and Cassian Andor for $5.84 each at Walmart where they're exclusive. Each comes with a blaster that converts to a rifle, Jyn's got cut from the film so it only appears in one promo still, and it's what ultimately sold me on that figure. Both are decent little figures, Jyn's proportionally smaller eyes fix her doll face syndrome. I don't like the top-swivel hip design, I get why they use it but it's annoying to work with.

Also at WM, the Rogue One U-Wing was on clearance. It's a nice ship designed like a one-man starfighter rather than a transport, if you can make your way past that rather notable issue then it's a worthy pickup. The included Cassian figure is 5 points of articulation and a decent sculpt except for his head that looks like mid-transformation wolfman.

Disneyland's Droid Factory has added Protocol Droid action figures, so I went nuts and bought a dozen of them. They're neat, same price as the Astromechs, only these have ball-hinged elbows, knees, and ankles, as well as swivel wrists. They come in 3PO, RA-7, CZ, and 4-LOM body styles, adding a 5th head in the form of the Vendor Droid (who uses a 3PO body anyway); there are 6 different colors - black, silver, gold, blue, red, and dirty white; and 3 different arm styles to go with it for a total of 21 different designs.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

I've bought more Transformers in the last six months than I have in the last few years. I can't resist a good Hot Rod update, so I got Titans Return Autobot Hot Rod (not Rodimus for once! Yay!) and Firedrive. It looks like one of the best Hot Rod remakes they've attempted. I'll post a review once it's opened up.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

So is this where I should pop in?

I got Topspin and Perceptor last week and they're super neat. Topspin especially, I love everything about him. Would love to see him used as a basis for an Ironfist somehow.

As for why I stopped popping in as much, life has somewhat gotten in the way of discussion time, plus I do 90% of my internetting on mobile now and the forum is not very conducive to that in my experience. It sucks because I do miss discussing shit. Also I fell off on the comics hardcore (which was always a huge discussion point) and my purchases have been almost 100% TR/CW based. Also, planning a wedding now in October and trying to get the band and label off the ground properly--a lot of irons in the fire there, so finding time is harder and, again, mobile experience kinda blows. I do have a tablet now so maybe I'll make it a point to stop by more often when I'm on that.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

06, good to see you! I've fallen off the (Transformers) comics habit, because I just didn't enjoy any of the IDW books any more.

Don't be a stranger!
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Onslaught Six wrote:So is this where I should pop in?

I got Topspin and Perceptor last week and they're super neat. Topspin especially, I love everything about him. Would love to see him used as a basis for an Ironfist somehow.

As for why I stopped popping in as much, life has somewhat gotten in the way of discussion time, plus I do 90% of my internetting on mobile now and the forum is not very conducive to that in my experience. It sucks because I do miss discussing shit. Also I fell off on the comics hardcore (which was always a huge discussion point) and my purchases have been almost 100% TR/CW based. Also, planning a wedding now in October and trying to get the band and label off the ground properly--a lot of irons in the fire there, so finding time is harder and, again, mobile experience kinda blows. I do have a tablet now so maybe I'll make it a point to stop by more often when I'm on that.
Congratulations on getting engaged!

Also, my latest haul: Classics voyager Prime, the one that came in that movie two pack from TRU a while back. I like it best of this mold because it is so close to the G1 toy colors. And the clear windows allow to see the detail in the cab, there's seats molded in there and even a steering wheel. Most of which can't be seen through the darker windows on other versions.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Black Series 6" The Force Awakens C-3PO - it was $10 and despite the stupid red arm, the figure is pretty decent. Only issue is the elbows are not articulated and sculpted to a bend further than he normally uses, and there's no bicep-swivel.

1:48th scale Batmobile (Keaton) - Mattel finally made enough of these for me to get one, it's really nice, nails all the stuff it needs to. The cockpit slides open, which is the best part. And the upper body is all metal except for the cockpit.

TR Perceptor - a mixed bag, a little unstable in the legs, a little hollow feeling, and while the microscope works it's awkward; and the tank mode isn't in the instructions (and is sculpted a little off so he can't stand in the slot sculpted to hold him). But he looks the part, the colors and such.

TR Kup - pretty decent, although there's a lot to get used to. The likeness is way off, there's no backpack at all, the vehicle mode isn't as sleek, and the canopy is so clear that it looks weird in robot mode, but none of those are "bad" things, just different. The cockpit can't hold the TM in place tho, he rattles around; and the canopy is half unpainted. The guns are neat, the transformation is interesting, and the boots get away with murder considering they hold all the wheels.

TR Topspin - been seeing a lot of praise for this, not sure I would have bought without, and I don't think it earns it. It has an interesting transformation, but it's basically just a pair of legs jammed up and a spinning facade chest making a nothingmobile. Topspin has big heroic proportions because the facade chest that isn't used in vehicle mode, yet oddly the back is fairly gappy. It's not terrible, there is some good likeness to the character, but it's a little tough to take all the goods and bads together.

Onslaught Six wrote:As for why I stopped popping in as much, life has somewhat gotten in the way of discussion time, plus I do 90% of my internetting on mobile now and the forum is not very conducive to that in my experience. It sucks because I do miss discussing shit. Also I fell off on the comics hardcore (which was always a huge discussion point) and my purchases have been almost 100% TR/CW based. Also, planning a wedding now in October and trying to get the band and label off the ground properly--a lot of irons in the fire there, so finding time is harder and, again, mobile experience kinda blows. I do have a tablet now so maybe I'll make it a point to stop by more often when I'm on that.
Look at you all real life stuff, congrats!

As for mobile, I'm surprised to hear it's not working well for you, I've kept this forum theme just because it seemed to work on mobile. LMK and I'll check it out.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

It's always fun to come home and find a surprise package waiting on my desk. My mom ordered Doctor Who season 10 part 1 on DVD from Amazon UK for me as a surprise. I didn't like Peter Capaldi at all in his first season playing the Doctor, but I've seen about half of his second, and he really turned things around (or the characterization improved) and he's actually very good in the part now. Looking forward to watching the new episodes.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

And Golden Age Superman Omnibus vol. 4 arrived, so I have that to look forward to reading. I don't think the series is quite as good as it was when it began, but it's still capable of producing some good stories. I think with this volume pretty much everything that had already been restored and collected in the Archives has been reprinted in Omnibus format, so I'm expecting prices to go up for volume 5, since it will require new restoration work. Still, if they keep this series going, I'll likely keep buying as long as I enjoy the quality of the stories.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

andersonh1 wrote:And Golden Age Superman Omnibus vol. 4 arrived, so I have that to look forward to reading. I don't think the series is quite as good as it was when it began, but it's still capable of producing some good stories. I think with this volume pretty much everything that had already been restored and collected in the Archives has been reprinted in Omnibus format, so I'm expecting prices to go up for volume 5, since it will require new restoration work. Still, if they keep this series going, I'll likely keep buying as long as I enjoy the quality of the stories.
I look forward to reading this too, vicariously through your reviews. I've enjoyed reading about the previous ones, it's especially interesting to find out how these characters were portrayed in their early days and how they've evolved over time. Also, this series could theoretically go on indefinitely. Volume 31 could wind up being the New 52 and by then, DC should be on their 52nd 52 lol.