Star Wars Episode VII (allowing for spoilers)

A general discussion forum, plus hauls and silly games.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Re: Star Wars Episode VII (allowing for spoilers)

Post by Dominic »

Well, prior to this movie, it was easy to assume a victorious Rebel Alliance and a happy future for the main characters. Now we know that none of that is entirely true, given all the hints that the trailers have dropped, and the fact that the Empire still exists in the form of the First Order. The fight goes on.
It does not dismantle anything. The Empire had recovered from losing capital equipment before (Episode 4). No reason to think they would crumble after Endor.

Yes, the plot is mildly reminiscent off ANH. There's a droid with some stuff that he bad guys are after. An old guy dies. A planet sized weapon gets blown up. But c'mon. Star Wars is full of ripping things off from other movies, that's the whole point, its Flash Gordon mixed with Kurosawa. So if it cribs a plot element or two from itself I'm not going to complain.
There is a lot of cribbing though. It almost plays like a remake more than a new movie.
Spoiler
But, if Abrams follows through with Ren, they I will give huge points.
The prequels were a clusterfuck of bad story combined with bad filmmaking. This is decent story combined with excellent execution. I don't care about the rules of'hyperspace or whatever so that doesn't bother me--what else you got, Dom?
It is not a question of
Spoiler
"rules for hyperspace".
It is a question of rules for narrative.

As stated above, in the original 6, if a ship went to hyperspace, there was a scene change.

For example, (just pick one of many, but hey), in Episode 3, Kenobi launches for the planet that Grievous has siezed. The scene changes back to Anakin (clearly a few hours after Kenobi has left). Some stuff happens.

The scene shifts back to Kenobi's arrival on the planet....

The scene changes allow for passage of time (enough time to make a "long trip of indeterminate distance using ships of unknown speed").

Scale of time and distance are common problems for soft sci-fi. But, they have been common for long enough that anybody working on soft sci-fi should at least have mastered the work around for for that. I do not care how far a given planet in SW is from another. But, I do care about the people making the movie having the sense to demonstrate that there is some distance (requiring some time) to cover. It is the same reason that I expect comics published in 2015 to not read like they were written in 1985.

Abrams seems to have issues with this.
Spoiler
His hyperspace sequences involve the characters pushing a button, sitting back, and then showing up wherever they are going inside of a few minutes (if even that much time) with no scene change to imply time.
Everything in Episode 7 seems to be too local.

Rey just happens to
Spoiler
live on the same planet that the Falcon is on
, which just happens
Spoiler
to be local to the StarKiller
, which just happens to be local to
Spoiler
that cantina hideout planet
, in
Spoiler
the same system where Han is working (but has not yet gotten the Falcon back
. That
Spoiler
cantina planet
just happens
Spoiler
to be close enough to the planets that the Starkiller destroys that Finn
(who just happens to be there with the other heroes that day)
Spoiler
can tell what is happening.
Scale is not Abrams' strong point. (And, it has been a peeve of mine for years.)

There were some things I liked.

StarKiller:
Spoiler
The Starkiller is cribbed from an early draft of 6. But, it actually is a good upgrade of the Death Star. If the Death Stars were bombers, the Starkiller is a Soviet style railed-missile silo, (mobile enough to be hard to pin down, but able to strike over long distances).
Kylo Ren (includes spoiler about the end):
Spoiler
Ren is a bastard. For all of the complaints about how whiny Ren is, the complainers seem to be missing the fact that it is intentional. There is nothing good about Ren.
I think that Abrams is setting up for
Spoiler
Ren to be completely irredeemable. I knew that Solo was going to die. And, even I was "impressed" with Ren's depravity in that scene. He did not just kill Solo, he did so in a deliberative and cruel way.
Finn and Poe: Poe might be an idealist, but he is nobody's fool.
Spoiler
He had no illusions about Finn's motive's for helping him escape.
And, Finn is not
Spoiler
terribly heroic, which makes him the new Han Solo. He is not a bad guy, but if he can avoid the chance to be a hero, he will.
I also thought the scene where Finn
Spoiler
ditched his armor in the desert was well done.
Rey: She is like a more admirable Luke Skywalker from Episode 4. (Contrast his petulance with her relative maturity. I guarantee that
Spoiler
somebody is complaining about the lack of dialogue between here and Luke at the end, and Luke's lack of screen time. But, Abrams manages to convey Luke's importance while using the character sparingly.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Abrams has the same problem in the Star Trek movies, what with transwarp beaming and communications. Why do they even need starships if they can just beam to other planets and star systems on a moment's notice?
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Because Abrams' narrative logic is apparently comparable to a child's play session.

And, yes, I am taking points off for it. As much trouble as the genre has with this sort of thing, Abrams should be doing better.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

The Empire Strikes Back had time problems, and it's often considered the best of the Star Wars movies. During the time that the Millenium Falcon leaves Hoth, flies/hides in the asteroid field and goes to Cloud City, a time span that's hours or a couple of days at most, Luke has apparently spent weeks on Dagobah with Yoda. Unless we're meant to assume that Jedi training only takes a few hours, which is always possible.

Should I admit that I went to see The Phantom Menace eight times in theaters? I was pretty hyped at the time. :P I still like the prequels, for all their flaws. I really don't get the hate for them.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

I always figured the training and asteroid scenes were spanned over a week or so. (How much time did Luke really spend with Yoda?) It would have been a bad week for the Falcon's crew of course.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Dominic wrote:Scale of time and distance are common problems for soft sci-fi. But, they have been common for long enough that anybody working on soft sci-fi should at least have mastered the work around for for that. I do not care how far a given planet in SW is from another. But, I do care about the people making the movie having the sense to demonstrate that there is some distance (requiring some time) to cover. It is the same reason that I expect comics published in 2015 to not read like they were written in 1985.

Abrams seems to have issues with this.
Yeah, I have to say that's something that bothered me about how Abrams depicted warp drive in his two Star Trek films as well. It's been established in the old Trek series that a trip to Vulcan or Kronos from Earth would take at least a couple of days, but under Abrams, it takes the Enterprise just a few minutes to get to either planet because there is no interruption in the scene.
Shockwave wrote:Abrams has the same problem in the Star Trek movies, what with transwarp beaming and communications. Why do they even need starships if they can just beam to other planets and star systems on a moment's notice?
Yeah, the "transwarp beaming" thing only made it worst.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Shockwave wrote:Abrams has the same problem in the Star Trek movies, what with transwarp beaming and communications. Why do they even need starships if they can just beam to other planets and star systems on a moment's notice?
Yeah, someone didn't think that whole "transwarp beaming" thing through. Too bad Voyager didn't have that... a few short hops, and they'd have been home. :lol:
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Well, they won't be problems in future movies, then!

I expect Kylo Ren to go to some dark places. Rian Johnson is pretty fucking sweet; Looper is not a movie devoid of problems but it IS awesome. Ren is going to go into the darkness but I actually expect him to come back out the other side. (The ongoing narrative of Star Wars is, the light side prevails.) So we'll see. I see him less like Dom does; Ren is a petulant child given a wealth of power and a dark heritage but at his core, he is a pretender to the throne, who wants to become the real thing. The interesting thing is going to see how far he will go to achieve that end, and he's already got a huge headstart.

A lot of people's complaints I am willing to forgive on the promise of future movies. (For example, I have money on Finn being force sensitive. Although an interesting turn would be him trying, and failing, to become a Jedi, and coming to grips with that.) The Han Solo spaceship raid feels like it's part of an entirely different movie. I don't mind Luke's lack of screentime or anything either, and its a damned if you do or don't situation. You either try to keep it a secret and deny it (ala Khan in Trek 2, we saw how that worked) or announce it up front and disappoint anyone hoping for a huge role. But this works because you're showing the promise of Luke in further movies; if he wasn't in this there could have been some backlash regarding doing a Star Wars sequel without Luke Skywalker. Its like showing Nick Fury at the end of Iron Man 1, its the promise of More.

Abrahms used every inch of that screen though. I would pay good money for a huge poster of Rey walking near the AT-AT ruins or the huge mountains from the end.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Dominic wrote:I am not saying it is worth jumping up and going to see.

But, how does it "dismantle" Episode 6? It does not dismantle Episode 6 any more than Episode 5 dismantled 4.
Funny you should ask that, I posted on SSG that very discussion yesterday, so I'll paste it for you:

Based on what I've read and heard about the film, here's what it sounds like is going on:

ROTJ
- The Emperor is destroyed
- The Sith are destroyed
- The Empire is being overthrown on its capital and across the galaxy (SE cements this)
- The Death Star 2 is destroyed, taking with it a massive amount of the Empire's resources and personnel
- The Executor is destroyed, along with another massive amount of the Empire's personnel
- At least one more Star Destroyer is destroyed in the battle
- The massive shield generator and its complex is destroyed on Endor
- A legion of the Empire's best troops are captured or killed in the ground battle of Endor
- Our heroes find peace within their relationships

TFA
- A new, more dangerous leader has arisen
- A Sith-worshipping cult of Dark Side Force adepts who eschew their former identities has arisen
- A new empire, the First Order, has taken hold of a significant portion of the galaxy
- A death star-like weapon that is several orders of magnitude larger than the Death Star 2 has been built and is fully armed and operational, more deadly than any previous by a significant factor
- Our heroes have failed at the relationships they previously created, both with themselves and with the power of the Jedi

Is that about right? To me, that reads as not just appropriating from the original Star Wars, but deconstructing the original saga's ultimate ending. The galaxy was appreciably better at the end of ROTJ, and has since lost every goal it gained, while somehow hemorrhaging resources that it then easily in a short time reacquires in greater volume. That's quite the commentary on our heroes' efforts, basically saying that no matter how hard they tried, everything they would do would be for naught.

O6 wrote:Alright, here's the thing: It's Star Wars. It doesn't have a lot of plot. It doesn't need it. It's about feelings and emotions and big cool spaceship fights and lightsabers, and witty dialogue. That's what this movie has. It fucking delivers.
You young people are both spoiled and ruined by corporate Hollywood into believing this is a real thing so as to justify going to lesser films (The Scorpion King). It's not tho', Star Wars had an incredibly deep, rich plot; it just knew what to cut out of the shooting script and final edit so that the audience didn't feel weighed down by the story. There's a reason ANH was nominated for the following 10 Oscars and won 7 of them (the most of any that year, 3 more than the next closest):
  • Best Picture
  • Best Director
  • Best Original Screenplay
  • Best Film Editing (won)
  • Best Supporting Actor
  • Best Original Score (won)
  • Best Costume Design (won)
  • Best Sound Mixing (won)
  • Best Sound Editing special award (shared award)
  • Best Art Direction (won)
  • Best Visual Effects (won)
  • plus awarding a Scientific and Engineering Award to John Dykstra and team for developing the Dykstraflex camera control system for Star Wars
I haven't seen the film yet, so I'm not commenting on TFA's quality, but Hollywood has been ripping off the megahit big release popcorn film genre from Star Wars for 38 years now almost entirely without realizing that there is still a particular level of care and vision which delivered that success. There's a reason Ghostbusters works but Evolution didn't, you need more than a similar recipe and cribbed ideas. Unfortunately, Hollywood has gotten a recipe of marketing and visuals together to cover up for its flaws, so you get a lot more Transformers '07 than Matrix films succeeding, and now a whole generation of moviegoers has no idea that even popcorn films are supposed to be Raiders of the Lost Ark over Minions, Mad Max Fury Road over The Amazing Spider-Man 2.

To be fair, now I walk with a cane sometimes. :-P

Dom wrote:It does not dismantle anything. The Empire had recovered from losing capital equipment before (Episode 4). No reason to think they would crumble after Endor.
You are wrong and bad. The Death Star 2 was a significantly larger operation than the first, its loss alone would have probably bankrupted the Empire. Then the Emperor brought together more of his forces in one place to entrap the Rebellion only to have a major portion of those forces caught or killed, as I mentioned above. ROTJ's ending shows the Empire being overthrown on multiple worlds across the core, inner, and outer rim territories. Their centralized political structure was destroyed, their capital was cut off from them, they had lost massive resources. The loss of the Death Star 1 was devastating, it's why they doubled down in ESB to track down the Rebellion that much harder, and that doubling down ultimately put too many chips on the table in ROTJ for them to recover. There's a reason Wedge and Lando are dancing with Ewoks at the end of the film instead of killing TIE Interceptors and Star Destroyers: they decisively won.
Scale of time and distance are common problems for soft sci-fi. But, they have been common for long enough that anybody working on soft sci-fi should at least have mastered the work around for for that. I do not care how far a given planet in SW is from another. But, I do care about the people making the movie having the sense to demonstrate that there is some distance (requiring some time) to cover. It is the same reason that I expect comics published in 2015 to not read like they were written in 1985.

Abrams seems to have issues with this. His hyperspace sequences involve the characters pushing a button, sitting back, and then showing up wherever they are going inside of a few minutes (if even that much time) with no scene change to imply time. Everything in Episode 7 seems to be too local.
This is a spoiler thread, fuck using spoiler tags.

Anyway, that is a notable problem Abrams had in New Coke Trek as well, he'd put someone in a turbolift and within seconds they'd be on the opposite side of the ship. He'd put someone in a transwarp transporter and they'd be across the quadrant in seconds. Sounds like he did this in TFA as well.
Because Abrams' narrative logic is apparently comparable to a child's play session.
A little bit this. He's not childish, but his story crafting is a lot of shortcuts, he's too inside to recognize that he's using storytelling shortcuts on top of storytelling shortcuts making it overly simplified because he wants to get to the part he wants to get to. That's fine if incredibly sloppy and unintentionally meta for his own works, but he seems to work hands-on entirely with others' franchises now and it's insulting there. He's trying to be the Cliff's Notes version of Spielberg.

andersonh1 wrote:The Empire Strikes Back had time problems, and it's often considered the best of the Star Wars movies. During the time that the Millenium Falcon leaves Hoth, flies/hides in the asteroid field and goes to Cloud City, a time span that's hours or a couple of days at most, Luke has apparently spent weeks on Dagobah with Yoda. Unless we're meant to assume that Jedi training only takes a few hours, which is always possible.

Should I admit that I went to see The Phantom Menace eight times in theaters? I was pretty hyped at the time. :P I still like the prequels, for all their flaws. I really don't get the hate for them.
That is one of the most irritating things ESB got wrong, that passage of time needed a fucking title card or something to convey that Luke grows over the course of a long time, that Leia and Han's relationship develops over the course of that long time, that the Falcon is in limp mode, that there are more things going on. It does take place over weeks, and the audience doesn't realize this because nobody even changes their damned clothes, much less says a line of dialogue symbolizing it. But if that's the biggest flaw in ESB, and I'd argue it is, then it's certainly a much easier to swallow pill than anything in ROTJ or the Prequels.

I saw TPM about 8 times in theaters as well, 3 on opening day alone, a few more during the next few days, and then the very first Texas Instruments DLP digital projection on the one month anniversary, as well as a horrible different digital projection using a satellite transmission system that overcompressed the movie. Unlike you though, I don't like them at all, they're incredibly clumsy stories told in a terrible manner, and I didn't bother with AOTC or ROTS on their respective opening days, and only saw them once that way (and only once or twice on home media after, which I only bought because that was the singular way to get the OT on Blu Ray); TPM is sadly the "best" and "most Star Warsy" of the prequels, it has the thinnest spark of that Star Wars magic only to let that get lost in every wrong but easy choice possible. The Plinkett reviews nail them to the wall, but they're hardly the only ones. I hear Kylo Ren's angry brattiness is the type of character that Anakin should have been in the prequels.

O6 wrote:Looper is not a movie devoid of problems but it IS awesome
Looper, I like to liken it to this: Looper is 2 good movies that have JACK SHIT to do with each other. :p
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

JediTricks wrote:There's a reason Wedge and Lando are dancing with Ewoks at the end of the film instead of killing TIE Interceptors and Star Destroyers: they decisively won.
I wouldn't go so far as to say it was decisive... I mean sure, like you say the Empire was pretty much done for with the losses they suffered at Endor and subsequent uprisings across the galaxy we saw in ROTJ. But at the same time, the Imperial Navy was massive to impose the Empire's rule over so much of the galaxy. Despite their heavy losses, they would have still had loyal Imperialists out there. Meanwhile, it took the entire Rebel Alliance to win the Battle of Endor, and they knew going into the fight they wouldn't be able to last long against the Star Destroyers, which is why they'd been planning for a quick strike and just hoping they could hold off the Star Destroyers long enough. Not to mention, they'd suffered losses in the battle as well. Despite getting lucky with their huge victory over the Empire, the Rebels still wouldn't have been a match for the remaining Imperial Navy. So it makes sense for the Rebels to take the time out to celebrate their victory. They'd need to take the time to restrengthen their own forces to take on the remaining Imperial fleet anyway.