December Hauls

A general discussion forum, plus hauls and silly games.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

December Hauls

Post by Shockwave »

Wow, do we seriously not have one for December yet? Yay, I get to start one. And to start it off, I got number 3 on my most wanted things like ever list, Fortress Maximus. BBTS had a sale on the Encore version so I finally pulled the trigger. And it's every bit as awesome as I always imagined. Also, Bruticus limb bots came in yesterday. More on that later.
andersonh1

Re: December Hauls

Post by andersonh1 »

Shockwave wrote:Wow, do we seriously not have one for December yet? Yay, I get to start one. And to start it off, I got number 3 on my most wanted things like ever list, Fortress Maximus. BBTS had a sale on the Encore version so I finally pulled the trigger. And it's every bit as awesome as I always imagined.
Nice, congrats! I have the RID version of Fort Max, and I agree he's an awesome figure. Well worth having as part of my collection. Enjoy!
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Shockwave wrote:Wow, do we seriously not have one for December yet? Yay, I get to start one. And to start it off, I got number 3 on my most wanted things like ever list, Fortress Maximus. BBTS had a sale on the Encore version so I finally pulled the trigger. And it's every bit as awesome as I always imagined. Also, Bruticus limb bots came in yesterday. More on that later.
How much was he? I was broke as hell over the Black Friday weekend (we got paid on opposite weeks; thanks big blue box retailer!) so I wouldn't have been able to pull on it, but still.

My Bruticus limbs are currently en route, along with about 6 Pop Vinyl figures as a gift to Randi. I got her their big Stay Puft Marshmallow Man last year as a Christmas gift and she's been buying them up ever since, so I snapped up a bunch--Ham and Rex from Toy Story, Bob and Tina Belcher from Bob's Burger's (because she loves that show) and some others I can't remember.

Today I bought Comics: TMNT #51, Superman American Alien #1, and...Venom Space Knight? What the fuck even is this book? We'll find out later!

Also we got these swanky limited edition posters for Reapers:
https://reapers.bandcamp.com/merch/2015 ... e-shipping
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Onslaught Six wrote:
Shockwave wrote:Wow, do we seriously not have one for December yet? Yay, I get to start one. And to start it off, I got number 3 on my most wanted things like ever list, Fortress Maximus. BBTS had a sale on the Encore version so I finally pulled the trigger. And it's every bit as awesome as I always imagined. Also, Bruticus limb bots came in yesterday. More on that later.
How much was he? I was broke as hell over the Black Friday weekend (we got paid on opposite weeks; thanks big blue box retailer!) so I wouldn't have been able to pull on it, but still.

My Bruticus limbs are currently en route, along with about 6 Pop Vinyl figures as a gift to Randi. I got her their big Stay Puft Marshmallow Man last year as a Christmas gift and she's been buying them up ever since, so I snapped up a bunch--Ham and Rex from Toy Story, Bob and Tina Belcher from Bob's Burger's (because she loves that show) and some others I can't remember.

Today I bought Comics: TMNT #51, Superman American Alien #1, and...Venom Space Knight? What the fuck even is this book? We'll find out later!

Also we got these swanky limited edition posters for Reapers:
https://reapers.bandcamp.com/merch/2015 ... e-shipping
239 + shipping which worked out to 260. I figure that's about the cheapest anyone will ever own a brand new condition Fort Max and since I for once was actually in a financial situation to be able to afford it, I did it. And just got done applying all of the stickers last night. I'll probably put him with Metroplex for one ginormous Autobot city.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Today's comics: Star Trek/Green Lantern #6 and Batman '66 #30, which is sadly the final issue. I still didn't see Wreckers on the shelf, which means either my LCS didn't order it, or it sold out, because they always have several months worth of any given series on the shelf. I may do what O6 is planning and just trade-wait. I'd check the other comic shop in town, but they have a bad habit of leaving a book on the shelf for a few weeks, then immediately moving any leftover copies to the back issue bin and marking them up.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

CW box from BBTS yesterday: Legends Shockwave, Buzzsaw, Pipes and Chop Shop and Leader Skywarp. Also, three MOTU mousepads.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Hot Wheels Delorean Time Machine Hover Mode - very satisfying, pretty well executed. I think the upper casting is the same as the original, and they only changed the plastic undercarriage and insert. The permanent false hover-wheels look good, while the tiny hidden rolling wheels with their low profile work amazingly, and make me think Hot Wheels needs to have a subline with cars sporting a lower ground clearance for more realism.

TF Generations Legends Shockwave - hot stuff.

TF Generations Legends Buzzsaw - hot garbage.

Star Wars Rebels Micro Machines 5-pack - not too bad, nicer than I expected. No stands tho, and the minifigs are pretty middling as ever.

SW Rebels Ezra Bridger figure - yeah, I have this one already but not with a lightsaber and 2 pointless pack-in weapons. The lightsaber is satisfying, the weapons are worthless and stupid.

Hot Wheels SW Leia car - a total '70s shaggin' wagon with Leia airbrushed (ok, tampo'ed) on the side. Not worth $5 but I felt whimsical.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

When I went to see Episode 7 on Sunday, I hit a T-Mobile store to pay my bill. They were running a promotion that involved giving away a free tablet if people signed on for a two year data contract (effectively bumping my existing bill up by $10). So, yeah, free tablet and some data.

Been too tired to fiddle with it. But, it is something I might be able to experiment on for forensics purposes, and will be another option for taking pictures. My only real complaint (based on limited fiddling) is that I have two devices on the same carrier, which I try to avoid. (Diversity of carriers and tech is good. Redundancy is bad.)
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

I got SW Black 4" Kylo Ren and the Basic series TIE Pilot. Kylo Ten is fantastic; even at $12 he is everything you'd want from a modern, super articulated Star Wars figure. Where the mainline fails, this succeeds. Only complaint is that his head is moulded to his hood, which kinda sucks, but you just know there's going to be a later version that fixes that, and has an unmasked head, and is from another movie.

So I bought the TIE Pilot to act as a control unit to Kylo; we all like to complain about Hasbro's 5POA figure revolution or whatever, but I wanted to buy one to be like, I bought one so I know if I'll hate it. And...I don't hate it?? Like, I'm starting to come around on this for some stuff. I would never want a GI Joe with 5POA (I own one from Retaliation) and it really fucks over Marvel...but for Star Wars? I don't know if I need a hyper articulated version of that blue robot in 2 shots of the movie, or an alien who got cut, or all the Stormtroopers. Shit, I have a ton of Cobra Troopers and I probably would be fine if a few of those had been cheaper and less articulated. Plus, kids could use a cheaper alternative line that is affordable for them. I still wish they maybe had goddamn elbows (even the slit elbows older SW figures had) but they can improve on the line over time. In an era of $9 Scouts and $17 Deluxes, the idea of walking out of the store with a cool robot for $6 is an attractive concept.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Onslaught Six wrote:I got SW Black 4" Kylo Ren and the Basic series TIE Pilot. Kylo Ten is fantastic; even at $12 he is everything you'd want from a modern, super articulated Star Wars figure. Where the mainline fails, this succeeds. Only complaint is that his head is moulded to his hood, which kinda sucks, but you just know there's going to be a later version that fixes that, and has an unmasked head, and is from another movie.

So I bought the TIE Pilot to act as a control unit to Kylo; we all like to complain about Hasbro's 5POA figure revolution or whatever, but I wanted to buy one to be like, I bought one so I know if I'll hate it. And...I don't hate it?? Like, I'm starting to come around on this for some stuff. I would never want a GI Joe with 5POA (I own one from Retaliation) and it really fucks over Marvel...but for Star Wars? I don't know if I need a hyper articulated version of that blue robot in 2 shots of the movie, or an alien who got cut, or all the Stormtroopers. Shit, I have a ton of Cobra Troopers and I probably would be fine if a few of those had been cheaper and less articulated. Plus, kids could use a cheaper alternative line that is affordable for them. I still wish they maybe had goddamn elbows (even the slit elbows older SW figures had) but they can improve on the line over time. In an era of $9 Scouts and $17 Deluxes, the idea of walking out of the store with a cool robot for $6 is an attractive concept.
I will say they do look like they have decent detail and paint, and if you're just going to put them on a shelf and display them that's fine. But I actually do stuff with my figures. I put them in environments and poses and have even made toyfare style cartoons with them. For something like that, 5POA just doesn't cut it. I have an Imperial call center set up at my desk at work. The Stormtroopers are the reps sitting at the computers in the cubicles. You think any of these First Order guys are gonna pull that off? Not a chance. I also have a feeling that because Hasbro has done it and they can do it, that they should do it. There should be as much articulation and detail as possible.

Also, why should kids get the short end of the stick just because they're kids? When I was 5 and I was playing with the old Kenner figures I always wished they had more movement. I always wondered why they could put joints on the head and shoulders but not like, the waist. And is $8-$10 really that cost prohibitive? I mean, even I could have afforded that back in the 80s. I really hate that companies treat kids as if they're stupid or not worth effort. This is why MLP got so popular because no one could believe that a kids show didn't treat kids like they're idiots.

Sorry. That was more of a rant than I intended. You know what? let's end on a high note: Go buy Legends Shockwave. He's awesome. The perfect blending between old and new designs with articulation that actually rivals some of my afformentioned SW guys. Great detail and interesting transformation. This thing is pure win. Yeah, I know, username, but if this figure sucked, I would say so. But it doesn't.