Comics are Awesome III

A general discussion forum, plus hauls and silly games.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Re: Comics are Awesome III

Post by Sparky Prime »

Yeah, I'm surprised they decided to go this route with Superman.I saw a page from the comic with various heroes reacting to the annoucement. Many of them seemed overjoyed. Even Batman had a smirk. Only Mera looks like she might be concerned, and Wonder Woman looks angry about it. It just seems odd, when like you say, there are time-tested, logical reasons for these characters have secrets. You'd think most of these characters, especially those that have secret identities themselves, would be more concerned. It feels like they're forgetting why Superman has a secret identity. Not only to protect his loved ones, but so that he can lead a normal life, without always being Superman.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

I'm glad once again that I dropped the Superman books. Only a few years after they last tried this and it bombed, Superman has revealed his secret identity to the world yet again, in defiance of logic and common sense both on the page and off.
Does current Superman have any family to speak of?

I would be more interested in this if I trusted DC to do something worthwhile. (They have burned me too many times in the last decade.)
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Dominic wrote:Does current Superman have any family to speak of?
We're back to post-Crisis Superman, essentially, so he's married to Lois Lane and has a son Jon (that Bendis aged up from about 10 to 16, which is another strike against him as a writer). Ma and Pa Kent are dead, unless Doomsday Clock brings them back. Clark Kent is well known as a Daily Planet reporter, so all of his work associates will now be associated with Superman, even more than they already were. So yes, plenty of family and friends who will be impacted by this decision, which the secret identity was meant to protect, in addition to simply giving Clark some downtime from his heroic activities.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

I recall the kid being introduced ~10 years back. But, DC does not have any real coherent sense of time. So kids' ages should be flexible based on what the writers need.

The kids in "Fantastic Four" tend to slide between 5 and 15. During Hickman's run, depending on the artist, Valeria (the daughter) was anywhere from 8 to 11.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Dominic wrote:I recall the kid being introduced ~10 years back. But, DC does not have any real coherent sense of time. So kids' ages should be flexible based on what the writers need.
Jon Kent was introduced in 2015, with the Convergence storyline, so he has only been around for ~4 years. And being flexible with kids ages in comics is one thing... But Bendis literally sent Jon through a time warp while he was having space adventures with Jor-El to deliberately age him up by several years.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

-edit: Sparky beat me to the explanation.
Dominic wrote:I recall the kid being introduced ~10 years back. But, DC does not have any real coherent sense of time. So kids' ages should be flexible based on what the writers need.

The kids in "Fantastic Four" tend to slide between 5 and 15. During Hickman's run, depending on the artist, Valeria (the daughter) was anywhere from 8 to 11.
They're teens right now. There was a recent issue where they went for their drivers licence before they could operate the flying vehicles around New York. :lol:

Jon was introduced during Convergence, and then at the end of that series Superman and Lois ended up on Earth living in secret while New 52 Superman was active. When New 52 Superman died, Superman came out in the open and took his place, then halfway through Rebirth, they did a continuity fix that reestablished the post-Crisis version as the only version, and retconned Jon into being born 10 years earlier.

The aging happened when Bendis had Lois and Jon go off into space with Jor-El for a while, and when Jon came back he was a teenager, so it was a concrete "age the kid up" storyline. When he left he and Damien/Robin were the same age, now they're not. I think Jon is now in the future with the Legion of Super-Heroes. The whole thing feels like one of those "kids are bad, let's get rid of him somehow" plotlines to me.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

I thought that they introduced a son ~10 years ago. Am I thinking of something else?
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Dominic wrote:I thought that they introduced a son ~10 years ago. Am I thinking of something else?
Maybe you're thinking of Damian Wayne? He was introduced in 2006, which would be a little over 10 year ago, but closer...
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

I need to sit down and give it some thought to really give a good review, but Doomsday Clock 12 ends the series in a way that I really enjoy, making Superman inspire even Dr. Manhattan to reengage with the world and undo all the damage he's done to the timeline, essentially restoring the post-Crisis DC universe to where it was before Flashpoint, with a few changes. Characters who were written out are back, the Legion and JSA exist again, and similar to what we saw over in Multiversity, the constantly adjusting timeline of the DC universe is affirmed and recognized, and is said to form around Superman. The series definitely casts him as the central figure around which everything else revolves.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Picard Countdown #2

The Romulan governor (I didn't mention this with the first issue, but the Romulan governor has blond hair. Which seems really out of place. Whenever I see her, I keep thinking of Sela, since she was the only (half) Romulan we've ever seen with blond hair) tries to get Picard to change his mind about only rescuing the Romulans from the planet, when the palace comes under attack. Initially they believe it's Starfleet, come to rescue the admiral, but it turns out to be the planets local population. After rescuing his first officer, the aliens take them out to the country where they meet up with a Romulan named Zhaban, introduced last issue as a whine-maker, and they're introduced to his partner, Laris. They explain they were two of the first to colonize this planet, and are also members of the Tal Shiar, because what better way to keep an eye on everything in secret than by hiding a couple agents in plain sight. Picard asks if they organized the revolt, but Zhaban says they didn't, but they didn't do anything to prevent it either. Meanwhile, the Verity is hailed by the Romulan governor, who lies that Picard and Musiker were killed in the attack by the natives, and asks the Romulans survivors be immediately evacuated. The lieutenant left in command agrees to start evacuation but asks to be allowed to scan the planet, having been unaware of any local population, and unwilling to believe Picard is dead.

The Tal Shiar agents explain the evacuation of this planet was a ruse to begin with, that some Romulans still believe the whole evacuation is a Federation fabrication (despite it being established the Federation only learned about the pending super nova by intercepting Romulans communications). so that the Romulans could take control of Picard and his ship. Picard still isn't sure they can be trusted, but the reveal they already broke the rules by falling in love. Their mission was simply to observe, but they found they couldn't just stand by and let the native population die. Shortly after beaming onto the Verity, the Romulan governor and her entourage execute a command override (apparently provided to them by a mysterious benefactor), allowing them to take over the ship.