Comics are Awesome III

A general discussion forum, plus hauls and silly games.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Re: Comics are Awesome III

Post by Onslaught Six »

Was it too much to ask to have just one happily married superhero? Really?
I would hardly call his marriage "happily." They were clearly on the rocks in the very first issue.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Anderson wrote:I'm not a fan of TDKR, so I keep debating whether or not I want to watch this. I'm still undecided, particularly since it's spread over two DVDs and would cost me twice as much as the average DC animated feature.
Well, how much do you like the DC animated movies? How much don't you like TDKReturns? (Stupid "Rises" title!) How unlikely are you going to be able to rent them? I'd recommend as a rental, not a purchase.

I've barely begun to crack issue 2 of Batman '66, but the art has taken a nosedive in the first 2 pages. That's tragic. That's what I hate about digital-first comics, there's a sense of publisher laziness and budgetitis looming.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Onslaught Six wrote:
Was it too much to ask to have just one happily married superhero? Really?
I would hardly call his marriage "happily." They were clearly on the rocks in the very first issue.
And they may have had problems in the old Vertigo issues after I quit reading the series. I don't know. But the point remains: would it be so bad for some DC character to have a happy family life? Or even a happy relationship? Apparently it is.

http://comicsbeat.com/mark-andreyko-tak ... -batwoman/
Dan Didio wrote:Heroes shouldn’t have happy personal lives. They are committed to being that person and committed to defending others at the sacrifice of their own personal interests.

“That’s very important and something we reinforced,” he continued. ‘People in the Bat family their personal lives basically suck. Dick Grayson, rest in peace—oops shouldn’t have said that,—Bruce Wayne, Tim Drake, Barbara Gordon and Kathy Kane. It’s wonderful that they try to establish personal lives, but it’s equally important that they set them aside. That is our mandate, that is our edict and that is our stand.
He's talking about DC's heroes in general, and then narrows in on the Bat-family. Pretty bleak, I'd say.
JediTricks wrote:Well, how much do you like the DC animated movies? How much don't you like TDKReturns? (Stupid "Rises" title!) How unlikely are you going to be able to rent them? I'd recommend as a rental, not a purchase.
I may well rent it sometime. I think the majority of the animated DC movies have been quite good, though with Bruce Timm leaving, we'll have to see how future installments progress.
I've barely begun to crack issue 2 of Batman '66, but the art has taken a nosedive in the first 2 pages. That's tragic. That's what I hate about digital-first comics, there's a sense of publisher laziness and budgetitis looming.
The Penguin story has a different artist than issue 1, but Jonathan Case draws chapter 3. Yeah, I was disappointed at the change in artists too.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

I may well rent it sometime. I think the majority of the animated DC movies have been quite good, though with Bruce Timm leaving, we'll have to see how future installments progress.
It's definitely worth a rental if you liked most of the DC Animated movies, this one is at the top if not the top. I haven't seen the Flashpoint one yet, a friend is loaning it to me when we meet up soon, but up until TDKR I would have said the best DCA was All-Star Superman, and this bests it handily.
The Penguin story has a different artist than issue 1, but Jonathan Case draws chapter 3. Yeah, I was disappointed at the change in artists too.
It's like they also gave them different tools, they went from top-drawer artistic tools to like a Wacom Bamboo or something cheap like that (no knock against Wacom, but I've seen several digital comics artists switch from scanning paper to full digital with the low-end drawing tabs and they always stand out as lesser-than for it).
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

andersonh1 wrote:He's talking about DC's heroes in general, and then narrows in on the Bat-family. Pretty bleak, I'd say.
He's not saying anything specifically about marriage though. He's saying they shouldn't have personal lives at all. Which is just his own personal opinion. Superheroes have always had personal lives. That's part of the reason they have secret identities in the first place. So they can keep their personal lives separate from their crime fighting identity.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Sparky Prime wrote:
andersonh1 wrote:He's talking about DC's heroes in general, and then narrows in on the Bat-family. Pretty bleak, I'd say.
He's not saying anything specifically about marriage though. He's saying they shouldn't have personal lives at all. Which is just his own personal opinion. Superheroes have always had personal lives. That's part of the reason they have secret identities in the first place. So they can keep their personal lives separate from their crime fighting identity.
The whole subject Didio is addressing only came up because of the whole Batwoman marriage storyline being scuttled, so yes, he's talking about marriage here, among other things.

He wants every DC character to be Peter Parker.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

andersonh1 wrote:The whole subject Didio is addressing only came up because of the whole Batwoman marriage storyline being scuttled, so yes, he's talking about marriage here.
He doesn't mention marriage once in what you quoted. Not once. He's talking about personal lives in a very general way there, not specifically about marriage, even if that's how the subject came up.
138 Scourge
Supreme-Class

Post by 138 Scourge »

Is Aquaman still married? I haven't been following.

I could almost get behind the thing with Animal Man if just because there's not many divorced superheroes. Ant-Man and the Wasp, and that's about it. I could see interesting stories involving a guy trying to be a superhero and see his kids and pay child support.

Man, the only marriage that stuck was Reed and Sue Richards', huh? And just because the original creators did that.
Dominic wrote: too many people likely would have enjoyed it as....well a house-elf gang-bang.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

138 Scourge wrote:Is Aquaman still married? I haven't been following.
Apparently he is not. Although I'm not sure how that works if Mera's still considered to be Aquaman's Queen.
Man, the only marriage that stuck was Reed and Sue Richards', huh? And just because the original creators did that.
There are some other married superheroes... Although I wouldn't exactly say most of them are well known of super heroes. Luke Cage and Jessica Jones for example got married a few years ago in New Avengers.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Misc comics:

Desaad (Earth 2): This is billed as "Earth 2" #15.1, but it reads more like a self-contained one-shot. The cover art shows Power Girl and the Huntress, which makes me think that it was meant to tie in more with "Worlds' Finest". But, the "story continues in...." blurb sells "Earth 2". I dunno. The comic itself ain't bad. But, it is nothing to go looking for unless you are looking to bulk up a week's haul.
Grade: C

Deadshot: New Deadshot origin. The story itself is nothing special. But, it is nicely structured. The bulk of the issue is a flash-back showing Deadshot's origin. But, the framing sequence roots it firmly in the "Forever Evil" event and makes the "story continues in..." blurb more sensible.
Grade: B/C

Mongul: DC brought in Starlin to write this one. (Is he writing anything for DC at the moment? Last I heard, he was on "Stormwatch", but "Mongul" replaces "Green Lantern" this week, right?) Standard origin issue with "Starlin bad guy" elements. Siginificant amounts of the character's history have either been changed, extirpated or have simply not been retreaded yet.
Grade: C