Superman flying motionless in the sky makes no sense/wrong.

A general discussion forum, plus hauls and silly games.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Re: Superman flying motionless in the sky makes no sense/wro

Post by Onslaught Six »

How homophobic of you!

But no, seriously, you're right that it needs to be worked on. Look at pretty much any recent superhero film! AmSpiderman's "scuba suit" idea is pulled right out of Kick-Ass, and it works there too.

The reason it started was because Superman's outfit was supposed to resemble circus strongman outfits of the day. That said: Spandex is actually harder to grab if you're in a knock-down physical fight with somebody. (It's why I hate any time someone redesigns Spiderman with a hoodie. A thug is going to pull that up over his face the first chance he gets, and then he won't be able to see.)

Superman's makes sense; supposedly his outfit is made of material that's so thin that it gets to be part of his Magic Superman Invulnerability Aura.

(Also, if spandex is anything like pantyhose material, it wouldn't be too hard to put on...what? I went as Rorschach for Halloween and a few conventions once. I used it for the black parts of the mask.)
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Tigermegatron wrote:In real life if anyone saw a guy wear tight spandex they'd mock him, attack him & call him a homo-sexual.
Um... It's actually pretty common for some professions, such as athletes, to wear spandex and they don't get attacked or anything. Granted, they're not out fighting crime or anything like that but still... Those aren't guys that are getting hassled over what they wear.
I think the whole super heroes wearing spandex tight oufits stemed from the early 1930's when the spandex material was first introduced to the real world.
Spandex was actually invented in 1959, long after the Golden Age of comics that introduced many popular super heroes. What I've most often heard, and O6 also pointed out, is that early super hero costumes were based on the costumes that acrobats and strongmen wore in the circus. They were eye-catching for the audience and needed to be skin tight for a lot of the stunts they performed or simply to show off. Heck, that's pretty much why Peter Parker designed his first Spider-Man costume to be so flashy. He originally wanted to use it just to showcase his abilities for audiences.
At the very least marvel & DC should update all the super heroes costumes to get rid of the tight spandex outfits. because super heroes don't need spandex outfits to perform their super heroes jobs. I would think looser clothes would make fighting crime much easier.
We've seen them do some updating to costumes over the years... After the first X-Men movie came out, the X-Men comics briefly adapted to have the characters wearing suits more like what they had in the film. It didn't stick and they went back to the more traditional comic book style colorful costumes though. More recently there has been a shift in costume designs. Particularly, DC's New 52 relaunch redesigned many costumes to give them somewhat more of an armored look. Superman's new suit, while still basically a skin tight outfit, is actually Kryptonian battle armor. And even Captain America is wearing a much more armored looking suit with the Marvel Now! relaunch.

I'd also say there are practical uses for their costumes being skin tight. For one, a lot of heroes wear their costumes under their civilian clothes so it's easy to hide the suit while being able to change to it quickly if they need to. And unless they had a cape, there wouldn't be anything someone could easily grab on the costume during a fight. It'd also cut down on drag for them to be able to perform certain acrobatic feats more easily.
The whole idea of a guy who's a super hero squeezing into a tight spandex outfit & showing off his ass & penis is just gay. a decade ago I read a article that marvel & DC were saying that they make super heroes guys wear tight spandex outfit that magnify their ass & penis to please the majority of the male comic book readers who they said are gay or semi-gay.
I'm pretty sure it has more to do with the fact that it is the traditional super hero costume design, having been around for ~70 years. Super heroes are known the world over with these types of skin tight costume designs. That's pretty difficult to break away from. Even some fairly minor changes to characters costumes over the years have been met with a fair amount of criticism. Like Superman not having red trunks. And that's not even necessarily from people who read the comics.
Gustavo
Minibot

Post by Gustavo »

Superman flies because flying is cool, and Superman is the mythical embodiment of cool.

That's also why he has super-strength, super-speed, super-freezing breath, x-ray vision, heat vision, invulnerability, super-ventriloquism, super-cake-baking, Great Wall Of China Vision (see Superman IV, although it may just be super-masonry-vision), super-date-rape-kisses, super-weaving, super-landscaping, a hot and brilliant reporter wife, a flying dog, a city in a bottle, and underwear on the outside of his pants. It's also why he dated a mermaid, and forced Jimmy Olsen to marry a gorilla.
I'm not wearing any pants.
Tigermegatron
Supreme-Class

Post by Tigermegatron »

Gustavo wrote:Superman flies because flying is cool, and Superman is the mythical embodiment of cool.

That's also why he has super-strength, super-speed, super-freezing breath, x-ray vision, heat vision, invulnerability, super-ventriloquism, super-cake-baking, Great Wall Of China Vision (see Superman IV, although it may just be super-masonry-vision), super-date-rape-kisses, super-weaving, super-landscaping, a hot and brilliant reporter wife, a flying dog, a city in a bottle, and underwear on the outside of his pants. It's also why he dated a mermaid, and forced Jimmy Olsen to marry a gorilla.
1- Depends on which Lois lane in the various decades of media/toy lines your referring to. Margot Kidder who played Lios lane in the 1980's superman movies was super ugly,had no curves/flat as a board & looked like she was twice superman's age in the movies. I'd be skeeved out by shaking her hand,I'd never go thru the torture of kissing her or sleeping with her. I'd rather jump into hell than marry someone so repulsive like margot kidder.

The woman named "Teri Hatcher" who played lois in the "lois & clark" TV series,was only pretty/decent looking in the first season. around season 2 she lost tons of weight & looked Anorexic with her bones showing from season 2,3 & 4. around the 3 season she cut her hair really short & looked even worse. Terri Hatcher even at her fatest in season one never had any real curves & was still flat as a board. Sorry I hate non-curvy/flat as a board,short haired women. Terri Hatcher was really not that naturally pretty,most of her pretty in season one came from the over use of make up,a few hours tweasing of the hair & exspensive tight business women outfits.

What's the sense in being superman,if you chose the bottom of the barrel women like Margot kidder & Terri Hatcher as your girl friends/wives. Personality can only go so far,at the end of the day it matters what you look like in bed when your having sex.. Heck if personality mattered over beauty/sexy body then the earth scientist would have started cloning Roseane barr & Ellen degenerous girl friends/wives for all the men of the earth.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Wow.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Gustavo
Minibot

Post by Gustavo »

Onslaught Six wrote:Wow.
Good "wow" or bad "wow"?
I'm not wearing any pants.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

...Bad wow.