Star Trek

A general discussion forum, plus hauls and silly games.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Re: Star Trek

Post by Shockwave »

Because it's pandering to... I dunno who. People who are nostalgic for other better parts of Trek, but aren't intimately familiar with it? Like, who's going to remember or be familiar with Hugh and still be ok with all of the technical crap that they just get flat wrong? Casual fans I guess? The sort of dudebros that started infesting gaming back in the 90's and early 2000's and have made playing games online an absolute nightmare because of all the faux macho jock alpha male attitude crap they bring with it. Yeah. Those guys. Who now think it's cool to be a geek so they're just familiar enough with the iconic part of Trek because they saw some memes on the internet, clicked the like button and think that makes them "Trekkers", but don't really love it for the reasons that the hardcore fans who have actually fought to keep it alive do. And unfortunately, just like gaming and even Transformers with the Bay movies, there's enough of these dudebro brodudes to keep it financially worth it for SeeBS to continue to dudebro Star Trek.

TL;DR:
Spoiler
Fuck Discovery, fuck Lower Decks, fuck everyone who makes both of those shows and fuck everyone who actually likes this dudebro bullshit pile of fuck. Fuck.

Sorry to swear so much, but it was cathartic to let all of that out. I put it in spoiler tags so as not to just immediately blast everyone who might visit this site with a large amount of swearing.

Fuck.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

The first promotional image of the characters for the other Star Trek animated series, Star Trek: Prodigy, has been revealed.... The series will revolve around "lawless teens who discover a derelict Starfleet ship and use it to search for adventure, meaning and salvation". The first 10 episodes will premiere on Paramount+ (formerly CBS All Access) launching March 4th, before eventually moving to Nickelodeon at a later date.

Based on the look of the characters, the animation looks like it'll be pretty good. Unfortunately, they don't look like Star Trek aliens... I thought the image was for some fairy tale based series at first.
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Post by Ursus mellifera »

Sparky Prime wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:44 am Based on the look of the characters, the animation looks like it'll be pretty good. Unfortunately, they don't look like Star Trek aliens... I thought the image was for some fairy tale based series at first.
Yeah, they don't look like Trek anything at all. They look like they fell out of Trollhunters or 3Below or somewhere similar. Cool looking, but not Trek.
Check it out, a honey bear! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinkajou
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

I found out Star Trek Online recently added the 32nd Century Intrepid Class for players to use, only they've given it the name the Janeway Class instead to differentiate it from the Intrepid class already in the game. I'm not sure I feel that's a fitting name for the class either, but it is better than both ship classes having the same name.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

John deLancie to return as Q in Picard. Cool.

https://tvline.com/2021/04/05/star-trek ... -2-teaser/
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

andersonh1 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:45 pm John deLancie to return as Q in Picard. Cool.
Unfortunately, I can't find any excitement in this announcement after the last few years with Kutzman in charge. Unless Q undoes some of the events from the first season... But you know they're just going to screw things up even more than they already have if they went that route.

In other Star Trek series news... They've revealed the Janeway animation model for Star Trek Prodigy. It's also been confirmed the series will be taking place in the Delta Quadrant, in the year 2383, 5 years after Voyager returned home. Janeway is said to be the ship's "Emergency Training Hologram". So I'm guessing the Federation ship the teenagers find must be a support craft from Voyager that got left behind (maybe the Aeroshuttle, which may explain why we never saw it in the series?).

Not sure how I like the idea of an "Emergency Training Hologram" based on Janeway though. It looks great and it's an interesting way to involve Janeway in the series, but why would the crew make an "Emergency Training Hologram" and base it off of Janeway? I mean, I can only see them making it in the event the children on Voyager ended up stranded with out an adult crewmember available to help them... In which case, I'd think the crew would choose Neelix or someone the children would be more used to taking lessons from, rather than the Captain herself.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Sparky Prime wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:22 pmNot sure how I like the idea of an "Emergency Training Hologram" based on Janeway though. It looks great and it's an interesting way to involve Janeway in the series, but why would the crew make an "Emergency Training Hologram" and base it off of Janeway? I mean, I can only see them making it in the event the children on Voyager ended up stranded with out an adult crewmember available to help them... In which case, I'd think the crew would choose Neelix or someone the children would be more used to taking lessons from, rather than the Captain herself.
Yeah, see, that would require thought and they ain't doin' that with Trek anytime soon.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

I'm glad to see Voyager getting a lot of favorable attention lately. It used to be the red-headed stepchild of all the Star Trek series, but that seems to have changed. Sadly it's DS9 that seems to be largely ignored in modern Trek. Considering how the Dominion War changed the face of the entire quadrant, you'd think the events of DS9 would merit some mention in modern day Trek.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

andersonh1 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:13 am I'm glad to see Voyager getting a lot of favorable attention lately. It used to be the red-headed stepchild of all the Star Trek series, but that seems to have changed. Sadly it's DS9 that seems to be largely ignored in modern Trek. Considering how the Dominion War changed the face of the entire quadrant, you'd think the events of DS9 would merit some mention in modern day Trek.
I think Voyager might be getting more attention because of Kirsten Beyer. She pitched some stories for Voyager back in the day (which didn't get produced) and wrote several Voyager novels. She's now a staff writer on Discovery, a co-creator/writer on Picard and is responsible for coordinating any spin-off media products. So I get the feeling she's probably the one playing favorites.

It's great to see so many callbacks to Voyager, but it would be nice if DS9 got some attention as well. Especially, as you say, the Dominion War changed the face of the entire quadrant. The Picard series especially would have been a great place to established where things stand in the years following the war. But, they didn't do that.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Strong rumors persist two Trek things:

DS9 will finally be getting an HD remaster.

members of the ENT cast will be inserted into KurtzTrek.

One of those is a :D and the other is a :lol:
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?